Reaction score
Who is the better

Wrestler

&

MMA Wrestler?

Discuss.

Alhamdulillah.

<36>

Edgar wrestles with the UFC over title shots and Mendes wrestles with fans over manlet status.

UFC > UFC fans (that's not saying much, either), so.....

Edgar wrestles at a higher level.

Edgar took Aldo down once while Mendes took him down three times.So i'd go with Mendes

Mendes has better takedowns. Edgar is more well rounded both on the ground and standing.

Edgar took Aldo down once while Mendes took him down three times.So i'd go with Mendes

Edgar took Aldo down twice in the first fight.

If you guys stop thinking of wrestling as only takedowns, then you'll realize that Edgar is the better MMA wrestler.

Mendes has a better blast double, but that's about it.

All I know is, Edgar is the better fighter
url

MMA Wrestling:
Chad is more explosive and finishes his double legs with more authority. He also is harder to take down and hits harder from on top.
Frankie is just as effective with his offensive wrestling but hes more of a finesse guy and he has a more diverse arsenal of takedowns. You see Frankie hit singles, doubles, lifts/throws, firemans, hip tosses etc. I would also say Frankie is much more of a hammer on top. His top control is miserable and his GnP is nasty and systematic. Overall I give the nod in MMA wrestling to Frankie but only slightly.
Amateur wrestling:
Chad was an NCAA All American twice (came one match short of being a 3x AA) and in his senior season was undefeated until he lost a bullshit call in the NCAA finals which cost him an undefeated season AND a national title. Chad was also a High School All American in all 3 of the big national tourneys. He was 8th in freestyle nationals, 4th in Greco nationals, and 3rd in folk style nationals. He also placed top 5 in the California state championships 3 times which is a really tough wrestling state.
Frankie never made NCAA DI All American but he came within 1 round of making AA twice. He also qualified for nationals all 4 years while wrestling up a weight class. Chad on the other hand cut a ton of weight as a freshman and less as a junior and senior. Frankie was also a very very good High School wrestler. He was runner up in folk style nationals and I don't think he placed at freestyle nationals. He was also runner up in the NJ HS State championships and placed 5th his senior year. Like California, NJ is also among the very best HS wrestling states. Overall I give Chad the slight edge in amateur wrestling.
These guys are very evenly matched.

Last edited:
Mendes is the better wrestler. Frankie is the better fighter

Back