Best/Worst boxing commentators

Jonny Ninja

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Fans always seem to complain about biased or poor commentators. Who do you like and dislike?

I watch mostly domestic UK boxing and imo the standard of commentators is really good. All ex pros in general. I think the best at the moment is Barry jones, but I also like Carl frampton, Richie woodhall and Matthew Macklin.

Worst for me is David haye. He’s not particularly insightful and seems biased. Tony bellew is also terrible, but aside from his overly emotional commentary I do a quite like bellew

Last edited:
Worst- The entire ESPN team. I like the Probox commentary crew.

Worst- The entire ESPN team. I like the Probox commentary crew.
What is probox? I’ve seen it popping up more on here, now with showtime gone my boxing watch schedule got a little thinner

I know he’s said some weird stuff but I always appreciated Roy on commentary, but that’s in the past now.

Currently? Honestly I think everyone sucks atm, Tim Bradley literally just ruins the whole event every time, he’s gotta be the all time worst

What is probox? I’ve seen it popping up more on here, now with showtime gone my boxing watch schedule got a little thinner

I know he’s said some weird stuff but I always appreciated Roy on commentary, but that’s in the past now.

Currently? Honestly I think everyone sucks atm, Tim Bradley literally just ruins the whole event every time, he’s gotta be the all time worst
A boxing promotion that does free shows on Youtube every other week. I've seen some really awesome fights on their cards. Like I said, lacking in star power most times but still some great competitive matchups.

i always like Roy Jones when he's commentating.
since im not in the UK i dont hear Barry McGuigan that much but i liked him when i heard him.
Bob Sheridan always had the voice to get you hyped up and his reactions always sounded genuine. he passed recently, unfortunately.

A boxing promotion that does free shows on Youtube every other week. I've seen some really awesome fights on their cards. Like I said, lacking in star power most times but still some great competitive matchups.
Cooool, that’s usually the best fights, unknowns trading hands and just seeing how it plays out as a spectator. Definitely checking that out if it’s free

Cooool, that’s usually the best fights, unknowns trading hands and just seeing how it plays out as a spectator. Definitely checking that out if it’s free
They're on Wednesday too, which I really like but obviously you can watch the card anytime. Honestly some of the best fights I've seen in the past couple of years have been on their cards.

They're on Wednesday too, which I really like but obviously you can watch the card anytime. Honestly some of the best fights I've seen in the past couple of years have been on their cards.
man, now I feel like a dummy, Wednesday cards for free biweekly, I’ve been seeing the pro box threads and been all “another app?! :rolleyes:“ and haven’t been wise enough to investigate. Doh!!!!

Not a huge fan of Mark Kriegel. Never thought George Foreman added much to the commentary, either. People don't like him much, but I miss Teddy Atlas doing color.

Out of that lot I like Woodhall the most. I think he provides solid commentary, is well-credentialed, and as a plus he has a face made for TV (he once played Brad Pitt's body double in Snatch). New boxing fans might not be familiar with him but he boxed Roy at the '88 Olympics and took bronze. In the pros he held the WBC SMW title, defended it a couple times, and later fought Calzaghe for the WBO title.

I like Frampton a lot but he's hard for me to understand at times. Those Belfasters throw me off worse than scousers like Bellew. Even Dubliners I can understand just fine but that might be because I grew up around them.

but I miss Teddy Atlas doing color.
Teddy was good for a short time early on in the Wednesday and Friday night fights run but he got mad at boxing and turned into in insufferable whine ass.

man, now I feel like a dummy, Wednesday cards for free biweekly, I’ve been seeing the pro box threads and been all “another app?! :rolleyes:“ and haven’t been wise enough to investigate. Doh!!!!
They have mobile apps for all of the major platforms (iOS, Android, Fire TV, Roku) but you can just watch it on YouTube in your web browser. There's nothing to install.

Paulie and Chris Algieri are the color guys for their broadcasts with Mike Goldeberg.

Back