Best way to deal with and prevent a pulled intercostal rib muscle?

krunko

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I keep hurting the muscles attached to my ribs. It usually happens when someone has the mount on me, just from pressure to my chest. Any tricks to avoiding this (besides not getting mounted)? And how long should you let it heal before you train again?

-Chance

hey man i had this in december 2008. i woke up one morning with chest pains that got so bad i had to go to the hospital later that day. unfortunately there isnt much you can do other then take it easy and take some anti inflammitories. i started doing more muay thai for a while because bjj strained the chest too much. i broke my leg in may doing muay thai and was forced to take a 2 and a half month break and my chest is finally 100%.

You are probably going back too soon. I had to wait 2 weeks after I "felt" 100% doing day to day stuff.

I will have 1-2 weeks off anyways. I leave for Paris Monday, then Moscow then London. I'm hoping on my last leg in London to get some rolling time in at Roger Gracie's gym.

How the heck did you break your leg in muay thai?

i suggest getting a rib belt it helped me alotttttt there cheap and def worth it

I've been trying to dodge this injury.

Like many injuries I think it comes back to FLEXIBILITY, STRENGTH.

Personally I make it a point to always do the scorpion and it's counterpart which I don't know the name, but you lie on your back with both shoulders kept on the mat then turn from your hips and stretch your core out.

I also think a large part of injuries occur from lack of a thorough warm up and dynamic flexibility. Most people know which areas of their body are subject to tightness and injury, so after your general warm up, do a specific warm up of trouble areas.

you need more time off

I'll see how I feel in a week or so. It's not that bad. It doesn't hurt when I breathe, it only on hurts when there is direct pressure on it.

The guy one me wasn't that huge, probably a tad over 200lb and about 6'. I'm 165lb and 6'2".

Back