Best Ukrainian boxer?

prikoke

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Forget the inferior nations that dominated in prehistoric times, before modern training methods like Instagram were invented. How would yesterday's Usyk compare against prime Wlad, Vitali, Lomachenko?

IMO, I would strongly favor Usyk against the aging Wlad that Fury and Joshua beat, I think he would have used his agility to outland Wlad by quite a lot. Ditto for 2010 Vitali. The Klitschkos could sometimes be surprised by agile fighters, and while Usyk doesn't exactly hit like Corrie Sanders, he can keep up that output for most of the fight. Both of them would also suffer from their jabs not being as effective.

Prime Wlad, however, I would favor against Usyk although IMO Usyk would beat Vitali in a close decision.

P4P I still got Lomachenko, at least for the short period in which he looked at his best. Usyk definitely has lasted far longer at the top than Loma has.

I'd have to think about it. On paper at least Usyk is the most accomplished Eastern European (not just Ukrainian) boxer of all time when you look at his entire boxing career as a whole. That is, amateur & pro credentials. Usyk used to be Wlad's sparring partner. He schooled him so bad once that he got kicked out of the gym in front of the media. That's sparring though.

Most skilled is Loma, best is Usyk. If they all fight who would come out on top? Probably Vitali or Usyk. I think prime Usyk just edges prime Wlad (remember we are seeing a past prime version of Usyk aswell).

Lomachenko at his peak was probably the most skilled and talented guy but his competition was harder on top of making the decision to go up in weight, outside of his natural weight class and then suffering injury after injury that took away his prime which already was probably gonna be short anyways with his style and being a lighter weight fighter. I think Usyk will go down as the best atg, but not sure how he does head to head against the Klitshcko bros because of their size. I think he could probably frustrate Wlad, outdog him and possibly stop or hurt him, but Vitali would be a tougher task. But then again vitali was slow as fuck, maybe usyk would outbox him even easier

Forget the inferior nations that dominated in prehistoric times, before modern training methods like Instagram were invented. How would yesterday's Usyk compare against prime Wlad, Vitali, Lomachenko?

IMO, I would strongly favor Usyk against the aging Wlad that Fury and Joshua beat, I think he would have used his agility to outland Wlad by quite a lot. Ditto for 2010 Vitali. The Klitschkos could sometimes be surprised by agile fighters, and while Usyk doesn't exactly hit like Corrie Sanders, he can keep up that output for most of the fight. Both of them would also suffer from their jabs not being as effective.

Prime Wlad, however, I would favor against Usyk although IMO Usyk would beat Vitali in a close decision.

P4P I still got Lomachenko, at least for the short period in which he looked at his best. Usyk definitely has lasted far longer at the top than Loma has.

no way Usyk would beat vitali, also vitali is better then wlad even he says so.

i agree with loma, in his prime he looked best. he still is looking great being 36 years old.

no way Usyk would beat vitali, also vitali is better then wlad even he says so.
That's certainly a reasonable opinion. I think Vitali was better than Wlad but Wlad matched better against Usyk.

Wlad was more agile and more technical, Vitali was more durable and had a very unorthodox style which made it harder for others to fight him. I think durability would not have been a factor in most rounds (unless we see a repeat of round 9 of last night), and Usyk himself is unorthodox just by being a southpaw. But the difference in agility might just decide a few rounds and mark the difference between a close victory for Wlad vs a close loss for Vitali.

It's all very speculative, though.

That's certainly a reasonable opinion. I think Vitali was better than Wlad but Wlad matched better against Usyk.

Wlad was more agile and more technical, Vitali was more durable and had a very unorthodox style which made it harder for others to fight him. I think durability would not have been a factor in most rounds (unless we see a repeat of round 9 of last night), and Usyk himself is unorthodox just by being a southpaw. But the difference in agility might just decide a few rounds and mark the difference between a close victory for Wlad vs a close loss for Vitali.

It's all very speculative, though.
i dont think osyk could hurt Vitali like he did Fury. Vitali had iron chin, remember he was never knocked down in his career he took best shots from Lenox which would KO other fighters and he didn't look hurt much by them. He hits harder then fury as well, fury had him hurt few times last night. Vitali is slower and unorthodox as is Fury and he gave Osyk trouble at times but i think prime VItali beats Fury with ease. Would be interesting match up between them two now that i think about it, fury vs vitali that is.

Currently Usyk, obviously. He actually wins his big fights. Vitali and Wlad probably have more overall quality wins.

I'd have to think about it. On paper at least Usyk is the most accomplished Eastern European (not just Ukrainian) boxer of all time when you look at his entire boxing career as a whole. That is, amateur & pro credentials. Usyk used to be Wlad's sparring partner. He schooled him so bad once that he got kicked out of the gym in front of the media. That's sparring though.
WTF

That makes no sense. That's exactly the kind of sparring partner you need- someone you can learn from.

Reactions: HHJ
i dont think osyk could hurt Vitali like he did Fury. Vitali had iron chin, remember he was never knocked down in his career he took best shots from Lenox which would KO other fighters and he didn't look hurt much by them. He hits harder then fury as well, fury had him hurt few times last night. Vitali is slower and unorthodox as is Fury and he gave Osyk trouble at times but i think prime VItali beats Fury with ease. Would be interesting match up between them two now that i think about it, fury vs vitali that is.
I agree that Usyk probably wouldn't hurt Vitali, his best chance would be to rely on his speed to outland Vitali in 7 rounds out of 12. Vitali can definitely hurt Usyk worse than Fury did, but I think Fury is faster than Vitali was and obviously rangier, so Vitali may have trouble landing the same shots that Tyson did. He certainly might, though, he did land some good shots on Lewis, for example.

usyk at this point. Most definitely over wlad and vitali for so many reasons! Still think Loma may be more talented naturally but he’ll never achieve what his friends achieved

wlad dominated HW for so long, and i favor him over usyk head-to-head so i still have wlad ahead at the moment.

When you talk Wladimir, you always have to consider if he's the champ, and therefore can pick the place (usually Germany), pick the judges, the referee. This leads to him grabbing and holding at will... Why do you think he did so little of that when he boxed Anthony Joshua as a challenger in London?
Without that advantage he loses in plenty of fantasy match ups, in my opinion. Bernard Hopkins said he'd give him a C- as a boxer.

Vitali Klitschko, total different story. He was a road warrior.

WTF

That makes no sense. That's exactly the kind of sparring partner you need- someone you can learn from.
It is but Wlad was embarrassed. That's why he tossed him out after 1 round. Some members of the media were there and allowed to watch.

Back