Best no-gi Jiu-Jitsu Instructionals

Reilly Bodycomb's DVD is excellent for leglocks, although I would watch Stephan Kesting's High Percentage Footlocks and Dynamic Kneebar DVDs first to give a really good grounding.

Ryan's Triangle and 50/50 DVDs are very good - I would probably say that the Triangle DVD is more useful.

I am currently watching Robson Moura's "Super No Gi" and I can highly recommend. I have just finished the side control material and I am now moving onto the S-mount part. There is so much material spaced out over 6 DVDs.

Best no gi chokes DVD would be Brandon Quick's Fade to Black. This guy has a bad rep but his DVD is very solid and it has had a big impact on my submission grappling game.

Best no gi chokes DVD would be Brandon Quick's Fade to Black. This guy has a bad rep but his DVD is very solid and it has had a big impact on my submission grappling game.

Really? I remember thinking this set was trash way before he got outed. An ass ton of setups with very very little detail to actually finishing the technique. I would say this set is as advanced as they come because with as little detail as he mentions relative to the amount he demonstrates he has to assume the person watching has had like 5 or more years experience.

Maybe that's it. Maybe some BJJ instructionals that are usually deemed crappy are just for those who have already mastered the art and don't need the 20 or more things that are left out explained to them? I mean, black belts are the #1 demographic for buying BJJ instructional DVDs right?

Never really impressed by Roy deans material. Good presentation and sold stuff but nothing special I ho

Really? I remember thinking this set was trash way before he got outed. An ass ton of setups with very very little detail to actually finishing the technique. I would say this set is as advanced as they come because with as little detail as he mentions relative to the amount he demonstrates he has to assume the person watching has had like 5 or more years experience.

Maybe that's it. Maybe some BJJ instructionals that are usually deemed crappy are just for those who have already mastered the art and don't need the 20 or more things that are left out explained to them? I mean, black belts are the #1 demographic for buying BJJ instructional DVDs right?

I can't say I agree with you. It's pretty much an encyclopedia of no gi chokes and it does pretty good job at explaining how each choke works. There are tons of setups although some of them are not very high percentage (I guess you got to expect that with a 10th Planet JJ DVD). It's gotten generally very positive reviews at Budovideos.

I admit that head and arm chokes are the single biggest group of finishing techniques in my game and for the past year I've been doing only no gi so this is a perfect instructional for me but it might not be for most people.

The only good thing about Fade to Black is that it shows you how a lot of head & arm chokes and other no gi chokes connect with one another. A decent 'mind map' at best, IMO. However, anyone at blue belt or above will be able to figure that out for him-/herself, and the details and some of the setups on the DVD aren't worth the plastic they are rendered on, if you ask me. I'd rather watch Jeff Glover's Darcepedia for the brabo stuff + MGinaction for the NS choke/guillotine and Rafa's free YouTube tutorial on the anaconda. FTB covers a few more subs, like the 'RAT' and the 'coma choke' (aka. ninja choke), but IMO these are low percentage/gimmicky compared to the others, and quite unnecessary really, since you can usually set up the more high percentage chokes from the same positions.

I'd rather watch Jeff Glover's Darcepedia for the brabo stuff + MGinaction for the NS choke/guillotine and Rafa's free YouTube tutorial on the anaconda. FTB covers a few more subs, like the 'RAT' and the 'coma choke' (aka. ninja choke), but IMO these are low percentage/gimmicky compared to the others, and quite unnecessary really, since you can usually set up the more high percentage chokes from the same positions.

I agree that Marcelo, Jeff glover and Rafa are showing superior techniques, but disagree that the rat and ninja choke are gimmicky and low percentage. They are from from it, you just need to become proficient at them.

If your training partners aren't stopping your primary choke game, or you are happy to let go of the neck and merely hold position if something's not working then I can see why you would see the rat and ninja as unnecessary.

But there's a lot of choke heavy guys like myself who are hitting the ninja when the darce, arm in guillotine and other various neck cranks are being blocked, making the ninja very high percentage. Not to mention you can hit it from and array of situations.
The rat I am told is equally as hi percentage, but I am just getting comfy tapping reasonably experienced guys at all from n/s. But the rat will no doubt feature in my choke arsenal soon enough.

I have Saulo's nogi Revolution set and I think it's good. It is very conceptual throughout. You might need a Red Bull to get through some of it but other than being a little slow, I can't fault Saulo for his instruction. If you already like what you see than you won't be disappointed. You can find snippets of his DVDs on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNyb-nmELaU

I watched fade to black early in my jiujitsu career, and it fucked up darces for awhile for me. I ended up with a lot of bad habits on the set ups

I watched fade to black early in my jiujitsu career, and it fucked up darces for awhile for me. I ended up with a lot of bad habits on the set ups

Please elaborate on this, would be interested to hear what alterations you needed to make. I also watched fade to black early in my jiu jitsu career and still prefer darces set up from the vice grip to this day. Always found a lot of what he said about finishing the choke useful too.

Having said that I far prefer the way Mendes sets up his Peruvian necktie so I don't doubt there are improvements, or alternatives at least, to all of Quicks techniques.

I just would run at a brick wall with my darce attempts, I didn't know how to chain my darce attempts from transitions.

It's been around three years since I watched fade to black, but I remember that when I was taught how to take the back and marce off the vice grip my actual darce success skyrocketed.

Does the roy dean no gi contain basics like: if he's on mount you want stop him from posturing. This is how you break his posture. From here you can etc... basics about positioning, not just subs?

Same question for saulo ribirios freestle revolution. Does he talk about position both defensive and offensive?

Sensei Roy has a sherdog account. You should ask him questions directly.

I am currently watching Robson Moura's "Super No Gi" and I can highly recommend. I have just finished the side control material and I am now moving onto the S-mount part. There is so much material spaced out over 6 DVDs.

Awesome. I haven't really read any reviews of Robson's DVDs. Anybody else have these and can comment?

im going through saulos freestyle revolution and its fantastic for nogi, completely different from his gi dvds

I really like saulo as a teacher so its really great, he really emphasizes things like the butterfly and guillotine

a lot of it is under the assumption that you have watched bjj rev vol 1 but it isn't completely necessary

Back