Best Grappling/MMA school in So CA?

AngeloVEnforcer*

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I went shopping around for an MMA school and since I live in So Cali I had alot of options. Here is my report.

I will grade the MMA schools I visited based on these credentials

Trainers - Are they experienced? What are their credentials? Do they/Have they competed professionally?

Facility - Is it adequate? Is there enough equipment per student? Is it well kept?

Types of programs - How many classes do they offer and what times?

Who trains there - What are the products of this school? Are they successful in competition either in MMA/BJJ/Muay Thai competition?

Pricing - Is it worth the money?

Team Quest - Murrieta

Trainers - Hendo, but he rarely teaches due to his busy schedule. Other trainers are qualified, but they lack a solid Gi-BJJ program.

Facility was nice but not clean enough.

Programs - Classes offered were good as were times offered.

This school is mostly for early pros, the average student usually has had a pro fight under their belt. During my week training there, nobody would spar because "they had a fight coming up."

Pricing - Adequate, but not much bang for your buck.

Overall - B

The Shark Tank - Rancho Cucamonga
A kickboxing school for the most part. Lack of a Gi-BJJ program. Head trainer is Eddy Millis who is qualified, but from my first impression, does not run good camps. Lacks pro experience (only two pro MMA fights).

The facility was small but had enough equipment to get the job done. Not a big enough school for classes larger than 20 students.

Pricing is very good, one of the cheaper MMA schools out there.

Products of the Shark Tank are competing in K1 and KOTC, but they aren't very successful. Only product of any fame is Mighty Mo.

Overall - C+

Millennia MMA - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Trainers - Millennia features three world class BJJ black belts who have all competed successfully in MMA - Betiss Mansouri, Romie Aram, and Javier Vazquez. Muay Thai is taught by former 4X world champ William Syriapai. Has greco/freestyle instructors for wrestling. Has a former golden gloves boxer as a boxing instructor. The trainers at Millennia are top notch, period.

Facility was great, a full size cage and boxing ring, with two separate mat spaces and a bag area. Features a small area for strength and cardio training. Has a pro shop for gear.

Programs - Classes are offerd from 6:30 AM to 9 Pm. Anything from an organized BJJ program to Yoga and cardio kickboxing. Has morning BJJ and Muay Thai classes(something most schools lack). Has boxing and wrestling classes. Has a separate class for Pro MMA training (for Millennia Fight Team members) but also a beginners MMA class for anybody.

Products of Millennia - Current #1 contender for the WEC bantamweight title Manny Tapia, Reggie Orr, Ray Lizama, KOTC Jr. Welterweight champ Joe Boxer Valenzuela.

Pricing - I got in at $150 a month for all classes. But now the price is $200 but well worth it. They also have cheaper packages if you just want to do wrestling or BJJ or Muay Thai or just fitness classes. Legends MMA is the only school more expensive, but Millennia offers way more for the money.

Overall - A-

As you can tell, after spending time at all three schools, I eventually signed up at Millennia. If anyone lives in SO Cali (particularly the Inland empire) Millennia is the best overall school from my experience.

Good report, I'm glad to see someone is doing thier homework before joining a school.

I didn't do the same, but got lucky.

I did want to mention though, that you are missing a lot of gyms on your list, I don't think it was your intention to visit them all, but at a minimum it would be fair to list them.

There is a full list here: http://www.socalmartialarts.com/socalmmaschools.com , or as close to full as I could get. If you know of other ones not listed let me know.

Also, it should be mentioned, that Rafael Cordeiro just opened up a Chute Boxe gym in HB next to Cleber's place. I've done a few classes with him over the past few weeks and I have to admit that I am impressed.

I'll be posting an interview I did with him earlier this week tonight.

i kinda thought you covered majority of socal. you kinda left out places like san diego, orange county, l.a. san diego alone has saulo ribiero's with a great gi bjj program, dean lister's place, fabio santos, brandon vera's, city boxing, baret yoshida's and a whole lot more. orange county has rigan machado's, erik paulson's, and i think chute boxe usa is in huntington beach now. i can't remember too much about o.c. mma scene.
you only covered san bernardino and riverside county

I only covered the schools I actually went to. I had planned on going to Legends, but remember, I live in the INland empire, gas and time are a factor. I went with the schools closest to me and the ones I visited.

Plus, by the time I went to Millennia, I stopped shopping around and signed up after one BJJ lesson.

wow man. Back when Millennia just moved to Rancho it was $100, crazy that its gone up to $200 now. Great school though.

wow man. Back when Millennia just moved to Rancho it was $100, crazy that its gone up to $200 now. Great school though.

Yea dude, I signed up in February for 150 and after they got steamrolled with students, they had to hire more instructors and add more classes hence the $200 price tag.

i want to go to millenia but its so damn expensive for me(college student) plus its a contract for the better deal which im not sure i can commit for a whole year(in the case something happens) i take javi's bjj classes at mt sac though... he's a good instructor.

BTW millenia is having a beginners tourny october 11th, no gi in the ring and cage =D

i want to go to millenia but its so damn expensive for me(college student) plus its a contract for the better deal which im not sure i can commit for a whole year(in the case something happens) i take javi's bjj classes at mt sac though... he's a good instructor.

BTW millenia is having a beginners tourny october 11th, no gi in the ring and cage =D

I know it's hefty, but it's worth it.

I'm in the tourney, you should swing by dude, it's double elimination and should be fun.

AngeloVEnforcer i saw betis's (think thats how its spelled) flyer on myspace for the tourney but didnt see anything about weight/axperience divisions...do you know what they are

I have no idea. I know that it's a beginners tourney. I'm getting the weight classes might be like the last one. 125/135/145/155/165/175/205/225/225+

Are you planning on showing up? It's only $35 pre and $45 day of tourney. Free tshirt!

i might..one of our guys took second in the last one..forgot wich weight but i wanna do the san diego tourney on sunday with the gi so im not sure... i live in ontario so i might do it just cuz its so close

glad to hear you guys choosing and talking abotu millennia, i live in las vegas now but i trained at millennia for two years. the new gym is super big and nice. great people that train there too.

Mike should I show up to the tourney and Peruvian necktie you!:icon_chee

i kinda thought you covered majority of socal. you kinda left out places like san diego, orange county, l.a. san diego alone has saulo ribiero's with a great gi bjj program, dean lister's place, fabio santos, brandon vera's, city boxing, baret yoshida's and a whole lot more. orange county has rigan machado's, erik paulson's, and i think chute boxe usa is in huntington beach now. i can't remember too much about o.c. mma scene.
you only covered san bernardino and riverside county

Exactly. You also left out The Gracie Academy in Torrance California, Machado in Redondo Beach, Rickson's in Santa Monica, Royce's gym in the valley, Clique Jiu jitsu in Torrance, Gracie Barra, Chute Boxe in Long beach, BTT in Long Beach, Xandes UNIJJ in San Diego, etc.

The So Cal area alone has the most training grappling/MMA training facilities anywhere in the world except for maybe Brazil.

The title of the thread was wrong but the TS already stated that he only stuck to the IE

Exactly. You also left out The Gracie Academy in Torrance California, Machado in Redondo Beach, Rickson's in Santa Monica, Royce's gym in the valley, Clique Jiu jitsu in Torrance, Gracie Barra, Chute Boxe in Long beach, BTT in Long Beach, Xandes UNIJJ in San Diego, etc.

The So Cal area alone has the most training grappling/MMA training facilities anywhere in the world except for maybe Brazil.

There's a Chute Boxe in Long Beach??

Back