Benson Henderson showed reach is not everything

hasar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you're skilled enough you can beat the shit out of taller and long armed fighter. Don't whine about fighters physical gifts.

359igph.jpg

Bendos size, strength and athleticism is greater than Nates reach any day of the week.

Plus Bendo did a great job attacking Nates legs from the outside.

What is the point of this thread? Of course reach does not mean anything when that is basically the only thing you have going for you.

styles make fights

That didnt prove shit except that bendo is better than diaz.

Reach is a big thing if you know how to use it which jones does.

What if regular bendo was able to fight stretch Bendo with super long limbs? Who would win?

agreed if your faster more explosive and stronger you definitely shouldn't be worried to much about reach. now after having said that surley you realize those are all natural gifts as well.

hard work wins fights but being a freak specimen definitely doesn't hurt and you'd have to be crazy not to see that.

WTF? Also Diaz knows very well how to use reach. Watch Diaz vs Cerrone.

styles make fights

That didnt prove shit except that bendo is better than diaz.

Reach is a big thing if you know how to use it which jones does.

Not to mention Jones is a much better athlete than Nate and has wrestling.

If the TS is implying that Jones reach means nothing then this is a bad way for him to make his point.

Nate doesn't have great lateral movement if he did it would be different. It's tough to hit shorter guys you have to swing at an angle. Benson had an intelligent plan to hit low and follow up high. Nate also has a stance which left him open to leg kicks. Benson is just much faster and those leaping punches worked because of his speed.

Bad example to use Nate with reach advantage doesn't count. Besides his reach he had a disadvantage in just about everything else. Nate isn't that great in my opinion. He was lucky he got the title shot.

I didn't know Nate had 6-10 inches reach advantage on Bendo.

If you're skilled enough you can beat the shit out of taller and long armed fighter. Don't whine about fighters physical gifts.

Reach is nothing special, some of you make to much of it.

It has equal advantages as it does disadvantages. Inside the pocket the fighter with the longer reach is at a disadvantage and that is a very big disadvantage. So his game is to keep it at a distance whereas the fighter with the shorter reach tries to make it a closer fight or pocket fight.

There is no skill or more skilled in this approach ,it is just knowledge on how to fight a longer fighter as compared to a shorter reach fighter.

Not to mention Jones is a much better athlete than Nate and has wrestling.

If the TS is implying that Jones reach means nothing then this is a bad way for him to make his point.

TS said nothing about Jones and he never said Reach meant nothing. He said reach doesn't mean EVERYTHING and you clearly proved him correct with your posts in this thread.

i think edgar proved that as did gsp, fedor, hendo, couture, shogun,, the only great fighters I know with a much larger reach than everyone else are jones, even andersons is not much longer than gsps

but of course reach doesn't mean everything, i think its dumb when people think a tall lanky guy will always beat a shorter stocky wrestler! Thats just crazy.

Mike Tyson showed this years ago, against guys who really knew how to use their reach as well.

But Benson is a genetic freak in his own right. He is a terrible example of how seemingly smaller men can defeat bigger ones. To base the analysis of height and reach, without looking at any other factors, is going to create highly subjective opinions.

What about the fact that Benson trains constantly and can maintain the body that for an average man would require following a carefully planned weight-training routine with lots of rest and constant eating. Benson is NOT normal physically.

nate didnt use that reach advantage in the bendo fight. his stance left one of his legs exposed to leg kicks and he didnt adjust to those. i wanted nate to win that bad but admittedly bendo is the better fighter

and if TS is implying something it is unlike how jones does with that reach advantage. nate is a not a good example of someone fighting with that reach

TS said nothing about Jones and he never said Reach meant nothing. He said reach doesn't mean EVERYTHING and you clearly proved him correct with your posts in this thread.

I was just stating that if that was what he was getting at it was a bad example. Its just that whenever you mention reach advantage Jon Jones usualy pops in peoples heads immediately.

I dont remember many people mentioning Nates reach advantage before the fight.

The TS is basically just stating the obviouse.

Of course reach isn't everything. The only people who say otherwise, are butthurt fans of fighters who have been humiliated by JBJ.

Back