Benefit shirts for sale (favela social project)

Kenny from MD

Less angry than before.
@Brown
Reaction score
Hi, I know a lot of you in real life from spending the last decade competing and training. For those I don't know, my name is Kenny and I am a brown belt under Ryan Hall at 50/50 Jiu Jitsu in Falls Church, Virginia.

For the last couple years I've been slowly building a charity that benefits a social project in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro. I've focused mainly on collecting gently used gear to donate for the children to use, and at this point, surpassed the goal I had set for myself in collecting items. I've already sent tons of boxes, but I'll be sending out weekly packages from now until I am out of kimonos (which will take awhile).

In addition to collecting gear, through this charity I've also helped to raise money to purchase new lights at Terere's social project, purchase meals for the children's competition team while competing in Sao Paulo, partially sponsor two athletes, and purchase and install a new water filtration/fountain system to provide the social project with clean drinking water. All in all, I've stretched the funds as far as they can possibly go, and have thankfully been able to help do a lot of cool stuff.

Now, my Checkmat teammates in Rio and I have a new goal. With the water fountain installed, the next challenge the social project faces is the state of the mats. To say they are in disrepair is an understatement. My aim is continue working with the Vieira Brothers Team Social Project to fundraise at home and help relieve some of the burden from my friends in the favlea, who wish to replace the damaged and ill-fitting mats.

82e4ed117e.jpg

In the past, I've raised money for the charity's budget by selling benefit t-shirts, auctioning training items, coming out of pocket and accepting donations. I am making one more run of benefit t-shirts (the same design as last time) to sell and raise money for those that are interested. Soon, I will have a second design available as well, and after I get some details ironed out with people I'll be collaborating with, I'll have a few other cool fundraising options as well!

If you are interested in purchasing a t-shirt, the best way to go about it is through my website www.vaicantagalo.com. This helps me stay organized and roughly estimate the size of my inventory. However, I will be ordering a few extras this go-round to sell at tournaments and in person. The pre-order will last through June and I will have the shirts shipped by July.

82eeaaa94d.jpg

For more information, check out the website, which details the project. I've updated the NEWS section with all sorts of stuff that I've been working on, and news about people that I've been working with. If anyone has any questions, feel free to hit me up!

Below is a documentary video (make sure subtitles are on) about the social project and features the team I train with while in Brazil (Checkmat), the black belts I am working with to make this happen, and the children we are sponsoring.

Thanks for checking it out!

If anyone might be interested in posting some info about this project in your gym, or sharing with your teammates, please PM me your address and I can send you a poster of information in the upcoming week.

By the way, while I've only made a handful of sales so far, the website metrics are showing the majority of traffic for the site is coming from Sherdog, so thanks to you guys for taking the time to check it out!

Please share this flier on social media to get the word out.

9a112f308f.jpg

If you talk about "living the BJJ lifestyle" now is the chance to actually support your community and culture.

Podcasts- I can send you a write up to read on air if you'd like about the project and fundraiser.

Are there any help in the low income communities in the United States? I'm genuinely curious

Any idea on how the shirts will fit? More american style or brazilian style? I wear L or XL depending on the brand.

They are printed on American Apparel tri-blend so they are super soft and more form fitting than most generic shirts. Unless you like showing off your physique I'd go XL

Thanks! Ordering now. I will also post a link on our team fb page for the fundraising as well.

Last edited:
Also you have a slight typo on the site - it says raffle drawing is July 25 but I believe it's June 25, as it says in the flier, right?

Whoops, yes, drawing is June 25 at the US Grappling event in Richmond. I'll have a table. Thanks for sharing the information with your team, I appreciate it!

Picking up the shirts any day now, which means

1) I will have a finite number in stock at my table at US Grappling's Richmond event on June 25th.

2) Orders already placed will ship out about two weeks ahead of the original projected date.

Picking up the shirts any day now, which means

1) I will have a finite number in stock at my table at US Grappling's Richmond event on June 25th.

2) Orders already placed will ship out about two weeks ahead of the original projected date.

Just ordered. Thanks man.

Ordered a medium to go with the large I got last round. I've lost weight. :)

edit:reached out to kenny directly, probably easier that way!

Last edited:
Not taking anymore donations for the time being because inverted just sent me a massive box and I have a tonnn I need to get shipped to Rio.

3 people didn't get their shirts (including Firas) because I neglected the second page of orders when I was fulfilling them. Sorry guys, they are on their way!

Back