Bench Press stability

P

Pugilistic

I feel the most unstable when I bench compared to everything else even though proportionally, my bench seems relatively stronger than my other lifts. My max squat is 120kg while my bench is 110. Only a 10kg difference. I think my squat should be much higher relative to my bench. This makes me wonder if I have a weak lower body or a relatively stonger upper body.

But when I squat, my technique is much cleaner and it just feels better. My bench is often wobbly and I have to really focus to not make it wobble. This is even at sub maximal weights. Of course with higher weights it's even worse even if I can successfully bench the weight.

I wonder if this is a shoulder stability issue. I don't have this issue with my overhead press though. What can I do to fix it? Just bench more with a strong focus on technique? Dumbbell bench presses?

How does your lats feel when you are setting up?
Learning to dial in the lats as a stabiliser is a important part of a good bench press.

Im not just talking about having strong lats.
Its a specific technique for using them to stabilise for benching.
There are probably a bunch of jewtube vids showing this.

How does your lats feel when you are setting up?
Learning to dial in the lats as a stabiliser is a important part of a good bench press.

Im not just talking about having strong lats.
Its a specific technique for using them to stabilise for benching.
There are probably a bunch of jewtube vids showing this.
Huh I never thought about that. I try to engage them but it's not something I really focus on. I'll try it later since today is bench day.
Thanks mate

I would also point to the lats. You need to build them up to gain stability when you’re going heavy (Chin ups). Other than that, might just be general set up, ie plant the legs, tighten core, etc

I tried to focus on my lats more today and it seemed to have worked although I also need more practice. I also saw a Jen Thompson video where she says she squeezes with her pinky which seems to work as a cue to engage the lats.

When I lose my concentration the bar hits a different place of my chest every time I bench because I can't keep my bar path consistent.
Thanks for the suggestion guys

You need to use your legs to drive yourself up onto your traps on the bench. You want it to be where your traps and glutes are the only things on the bench. Then you squeeze your shoulder blades together and push them down towards your back pockets. Your body should be rigid from your legs to your neck. That’s proper bench tightness. Also try to pull the bar off the j hooks like a straight arm pull down motion rather than pushing it off, as this causes you to lose tightness in your upper back.

Look up australianstrengthcoach on insta and watch his bench setup vids

Back