Bench mid-range weakness

Raiman

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've been having trouble on my bench in the mid range about 3 to 4 inches off the chest. I'm good right off the chest and lock out but I always get stuck in the mid range where the pecs are the main movers. I tried doing dumbbell work, as suggested by a few articles I read on T-Nation, and just started to use a wider grip (ring between middle and index) but I feel like I'm missing something. I was suggested a 2 board is what I'm looking for but I haven't committed buying one of those board blocks or making my own. What other assistance work do you guys suggest? And if I did use a 2 board how would you suggest I program it?

Thanks.

When you bench, do you pause, touch and go, or "bounce" your reps off your chest?

Knowing your elbow position in relation to your body would be good information too, best shown through video, if possible. A video will give us the whole story, as there are probably improvements that can be made to your form.

Honestly, 3" off the chest is where I would expect to fail. Personally, I wouldn't consider it a weak point. If I failed a rep there, I'd say it was because I just wasn't strong enough.

Do heavy dips and other tricep work. Also make sure you're pinching your shoulder blades together and using enough leg drive. Also throw in some front delt work.

Honestly, 3" off the chest is where I would expect to fail. Personally, I wouldn't consider it a weak point. If I failed a rep there, I'd say it was because I just wasn't strong enough.
^ This.

It's not a specific weak point when you fail there, its a general lack of bench strength for that weight.
Wider grip or board presses arent gonna fix that- but Spoto presses will. I suggest a longass pause at 2" with low reps.

When you bench, do you pause, touch and go, or "bounce" your reps off your chest?

Knowing your elbow position in relation to your body would be good information too, best shown through video, if possible. A video will give us the whole story, as there are probably improvements that can be made to your form.

I pause when I'm training the "Comp" bench. I also do touch and go, 2, and 3 sec pauses as part of training as well it depends on the day but that is done as a sort of assistance work. I'll post a video tomorrow. It could be a form issue because I tested maxes a few months ago and my 2nd heavy single felt super heavy but I took the same weight again and it was butter. Two issues I felt I have are creating a better arch (not bigger/higher) and really sticking my upper back into the bench and timing leg drive. Sometimes when I shoot the leg drive my press moves over my face instead of moving instead of moving in a straight line, which is how I was coached to press, and when that happens I feel off balance.

^ This.

It's not a specific weak point when you fail there, its a general lack of bench strength for that weight.
Wider grip or board presses arent gonna fix that- but Spoto presses will. I suggest a longass pause at 2" with low reps.
Are these done by cutting the ROM or touching the chest and the pausing?

Are these done by cutting the ROM or touching the chest and the pausing?

Some people touch their chest and then pause on the way up. I feel its more beneficial stopping it higher. Really forces you to maintain tightness on the way down and removes all stretch reflex.

In all the exercises I've done, the 3.5" board presses (heavy) and floor presses (undulating) have been the best.

A sticking point doesn't always mean you need an exercise to target that area. Something else to think about is generating momentum from the bottom, so that when you hit the sticking point the bar is already moving nicely.

For that I would suggest long pauses but can see you already do them.

So what's your max and what's your program like?

A sticking point doesn't always mean you need an exercise to target that area. Something else to think about is generating momentum from the bottom, so that when you hit the sticking point the bar is already moving nicely.

For that I would suggest long pauses but can see you already do them.

So what's your max and what's your program like?

I do a 5/3/1 variation, it has got me to where I am so I figured I'd stick with it. I was doing RPE style training but I felt there was no structure that made sense to me and I didn't really see any benefit to it for me, although the concept was interesting. I like percentage based programs for that reason. My best lift was 300 on the bench but the last test I did I only hit 280 and after I failed it the first time and made it the second I called it quits. I neglected my bench for a long time but have tried to focus on it the past few months.

This is the best I can do for a video.

I'm certainly no expert, but I see a couple things that I think you can improve on.

First is your shoulder position. It looks like you set up in a good position, but then lose it when you unrack the weight. Make sure to consciously retract your scapulae. That'll stabilize you better, give you a solid base to press from, and help to engage your lats. And if you aren't engaging your lats, then you should start.

The other issue is that your lower body doesn't look very stable. Plant your feet firmly and contract your abs. Then, when you start the ascent, flex your glutes as well. Everything should be as tight as possible.

Do these things on your warmup sets too. It'll help to make them habitual.

We need a different camera angle to critique your form. Like mom said you really need to focus on setting up tight. Having the scalpulae retracted and locked in is critical. It's also possible you're flairing your elbows too early.

Floor press, pin press, and db work are what I would recommend.

We need a different camera angle to critique your form. Like mom said you really need to focus on setting up tight. Having the scalpulae retracted and locked in is critical. It's also possible you're flairing your elbows too early.

Floor press, pin press, and db work are what I would recommend.

I can try to get another video but I train at a commercial gym right now and they don't like me filming in there. I knew I was getting loose after I unrack, I feel the difference when I actually set-up well, like the 280 presses I mentioned in a previous post. I feel the strength is there but idk. I'll work my form and try to get a better angle for a video next week.

In all honestly failing slightly below midway is fairly common and you just simply need to get stronger and refine your technique.

Back