Ben Askren

Lucifer Alpha

The Catastrophe
Banned
Reaction score
...just destroyed his opponent with GnP in like a minute.

So boring.

Ravden got Joe Soto in the UFC, work your magic bro, bring in Askren

I would pay $60 to watch him get a haircut though....

#realtalk

Sign him Dana

He wasn't turned away because he was boring.

He was turned away because he's an asshole with a huge ego demanding boatloads of money and title shots without even debuting.

He was turned away because he's an asshole with a huge ego demanding boatloads of money and title shots without even debuting.

That why he offered to fight for free?

Keep spouting bullshit to justify the UFC's birdbrained decision.

Misconception or truth?: Askren priced himself out of a UFC contract

The talks never got as far as specific numbers, said Askren.

The tete-a-tete took place in UFC owner Zuffa's Las Vegas office in late November, a few days after welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre narrowly escaped with a split-decision victory over Johnny Hendricks and planted the seeds for what would become his title-vacating sabbatical from the sport in December. UFC majority owner Lorenzo Fertitta and a few others were in attendance with Askren and his manager, DeWayne Zinkin; minority owner and president Dana White sat in via teleconference. Askren said the precursory talks went well and that specific scenarios were discussed, though he wouldn't elaborate on them for confidentiality reasons.

"I left with the impression that we were going to get it done," said Askren. "Later that night, they called back to say they weren't interested anymore. I thought I was going to the UFC. How could they not sign a former champion of the number-two promotion who's ranked top ten in every imaginable ranking?"

Had the negotiations progressed to figures, Askren would like to think he'd have been offered something commensurate with his market value, but wasn't expecting the windfall that former Bellator champion Hector Lombard received in April 2012, when he became the first rival titleholder to defect to the UFC's welterweight division. According to reports, Lombard was paid an astronomical $400,000 signing bonus, $300,000 for his first bout and offered a percentage of profits from pay-per-views on which he appeared.

Askren said he wouldn't have expected such bloated numbers.

"I have other sources of income and if they had said eight [thousand] and eight [thousand win bonus pay], I would have told them to f--- off, but I'm not going to say I need Hector Lombard money," he said. "If the offer had been anywhere within the point of reason, I would have been game."

Askren clears up misconceptions about his new deal

Crushing cans doesn't get you into the UFC.....

to be fair the guy he beat was 11-1 and coming off 2 wins vs former UFC fighters. Ben has ran through everyone put in front of him, it's not like he has a choice on better fights.

Good thing Askren cleared that up...now we know the real truth....

askren is awesome...kind of like that he will be smashing guys outside of ufc for a little bit...but hopefully mid 2015 we get some askren in the ufc....he would be a blessing to some UFC PPVs, not to mention all the free stuff they run

Back