Ben Askren is a free agent in January of 2018

Doubt anyone would want him. Bellator already let him go, and rather than try and reach out to the UFC, he repeatedly talked shit.
but doing nothing didnt work either
as in shit talking

He made a bad career choice signing with ONE and nobody in the states can careless about him.

He will retire MJ, just accept it my fellow sherbra

i-know-that-feel.jpg

He's only 32...Next year 33.

Depressing when a fighter like him has to retire due to lack of competition and stupid politics.

Depressing when a fighter like him has to retire due to lack of competition and stupid politics.

It has as much to do with that; as it does with the fact he is showing signs of regressing. The average male athlete starts to regress physically at that age when they aren't taking PEDs. So many fighters are on PEDs though that we seem to think fighters should be good until nearly 40 years old.

Last edited:
It has as much that to do with the fact he is showing signs of regressing. The average male athlete starts to regress physically at that age when they aren't taking PEDs. So many fighters are on PEDs though that we seem to think fighters should be good until nearly 40 years old.

Haa I know where you are coming from with that but as a big supporter of "everyone is individual - no one is the same" and being a gullible idiot that I am - I'm just not ready to say if someone is one of the "good guys" or not based on how well they perform when they are older.

But if Askren was ever busted from PEDS then that would be quite surprising.

Dana didn't want him to 30-27 the UFC WW strikers is why he didn't get signed.

From his sherdog q&a tonight he said he was a free agent at that point; which is sooner than his multi match exclusive or title extension clause often mentioned.

He said to ask him then if he regretted signing with ONE. On twitter he is trying to push to fight every month until the end of the year. Safe to ASSUME if they dont give him some fights he will be voicing his frustration.

On a disappointing (but not shocking) note he repeated retirement is the most likely option.

Retirement would be lame. Never really got to see him against good comp. For his own benefit he should make a run in the UFC. That way he'd never have that what if. That shit will haunt you.

always been a funky fan, i doubt he signs with any org of note though, he seemed pretty content collecting his check and kind of staying active. i would love to see him vs rory in bellator or askren vs maia in the ufc, but meh doubt it'll happen.

Also worth noting he says Woodley is his toughest fight and his friend. Said he has enough enemies that he sees no need to fight one of his few friends.

If the new WSOF thing can ink would be great, i dont see UFC signing him and i dont think that Bellator will invest more money at WW (not saying that they are not going to ink talent of other divisio, but Bellator WW is already damm good)
Maybe ACB can ink him, they have Tumenov, Cooper and other solid WW prospects + they are sign in every mid level released UFC fighter.....

onen of the biggest wastes of talent in MMA history, hes a great fighter and his career was squandered

its really his own fault starting with his post-bellator decision making

Go back to Freestyle wrestling and try to win a ticket to Tokyo.
You won't get any further in MMA.

Who gives a fuck about this guy now? He was interesting a few years ago then disappeared off the map.

...that being said, I'd like to see him in the UFC to be honest.

The guy said he runs two wrestling camps/academies in Wisconsin. I'm sure he makes decent money doing that.

If he retires, he can franchise the place (open a camp or two in Missouri).

Why get punched if you can run a small successful business with your brother and your old wrestling buddies?

The guy said he runs two wrestling camps/academies in Wisconsin. I'm sure he makes decent money doing that.

If he retires, he can franchise the place (open a camp or two in Missouri).

Why get punched if you can run a small successful business with your brother and your old wrestling buddies?

I've never been to AWA, but i've been to Overtime which is a similar wrestling facility that was making money hand over fist. Ben used his MMA funds wisely.

Back