Ben Askren Back in Action on August 18?

Yeah I understand the money part but as a wrestler I would think he wanted to challenge himself. The money may have not been there in the beginning from (UFC, Bellator) but if he became 16-0 while under contract with them he would be making plenty of money. I don't hear the top fighters in UFC or Bellator complaining of the pay

Bellator let him walk, and WSOF did not have the roster they do now, or did in their height. If Fitch, Shields, Palhares, and Okami had been there and in his weight class when he split, maybe things would have gone differently.

Looking back, ONE was a terrible move because he's fighting nobodies and because of the many layoffs, not to mention looking bad vs Santos and the NC involved. But at the time? It was a solid choice. He got paid more money and the six fights should have been up relatively quickly. If he burned through that contract fast and in dominant fashion, a UFC contract might have been there.

Yes, fighting ranked and known guys in WSOF would have been better for his career and legacy. It also would have made a UFC deal much more likely. But hindsight is 20/20.

everyone want
Maybe ONE wants him to fight more often so he maybe lost the belt, cause it looks like there aren't many chances of him re-signing with them.... just what i think....

Bigdash would be a serious threat

The Russian looks very Roided out and ready to chew up Askeren
Bellator let him walk, and WSOF did not have the roster they do now, or did in their height. If Fitch, Shields, Palhares, and Okami had been there and in his weight class when he split, maybe things would have gone differently.

Looking back, ONE was a terrible move because he's fighting nobodies and because of the many layoffs, not to mention looking bad vs Santos and the NC involved. But at the time? It was a solid choice. He got paid more money and the six fights should have been up relatively quickly. If he burned through that contract fast and in dominant fashion, a UFC contract might have been there.

Yes, fighting ranked and known guys in WSOF would have been better for his career and legacy. It also would have made a UFC deal much more likely. But hindsight is 20/20.

Any move which makes you financially secure in an chaotic market like MMA is not a terrible move and cannot be a terrible move

Askren's move was a good one and he is still undefeated...

Besides, He can soon fight fight anywhere he wants and actually right Now Bellator has a superb WW division so he doesn't even need to go to the UFC
if he wants to challenge himself

he has tons of options for big money fights now

Will Brooks went to the UFC to "Challenge himself", many people thought he would be a challenger and He's now making less then Askren and may soon be cut

Good job, Brooks

If I remember correctly, Askren's deal with ONE FC was something like:

- Gets decent money to fight
- Gets decent money to coach at a ONE FC owned gym
- Gets an apartment covered when in Singapore for him and his family
- Endorsement $$

Does Woodley get a similar deal with UFC?
- Does the UFC pay him a salary beyond his fight purses?
- Does the UFC cover the costs for his living situation while training?
Woodley makes millions of dollars in PPV points. I don't have Askren's numbers but I doubt they're even close to what Woodley is making on a per fight basis.

On top of that Woodley works as an analyst and actor, opportunities provided due to his fame as a UFC fighter.

Back