Bellator making the same mistake again??

synyster

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I always defended fun fights/legend fights/freakshow fights... I think they have a place in the sport, some of the most interesting fights are cross sport match ups I think the buzz from the Mac/May fight pretty much proves that, to me that is essentially the same thing, whether its that or open weight fights or past it legends going at it these fights have an audience.

But with that being said I don't think they should main event large scale events in a promotion trying to be considered in the top echelon of the sport. Kimbo/Dada... Chael/Tito...Royce/Ken I am not mad these fights get put together but the out come of these types of fights are very unpredictable for a variety of reasons... Make these fights but have them like prelims headliners or mid main card.

I can already see it coming, something weird will happen in the Chael/Wandy fight and people will shit all over the card.. The main event should IMO be either Fedor/Matt or something along the lines of the Lima/Larkin fight or Daley/Rory.. I know the Fedor fight is kinda a legend fight at this point as well but Fedor always brings it win or lose and Matt is very relevant in today's current shallow heavyweight landscape.

Anyways does anyone els think that Wandy Vs Chael main event is a mistake?? Or does anyone think its a smart move?? thoughts?

I understand your grievance op, but the fact is that we are in the minority. We as hardcores are pretty much in the bag too. We can bitch about everything that goes on, but we will probably watch. We complained about the dada kimbo fight, but we all watched and the numbers prove that.

Same case here. Hardcores will bitch, but we will all tune in. This fight will sell because there is legit beef between them, and the fact that Chael is a great talker. Numbers are the name of the game. Even if there is controversy or its a shitty fight(potential for both) it'll be forgotten quickly. How many casuals do u see speaking about kimbo vs dada and how dada almost died? How many do u see speaking about cm punk and boycotting the UFC? The organizations know this, so they capitalize when they get the chance. The reason chael and Wandy are main eventing is because they will draw the biggest numbers.

"they shouldn't main event"

Then watch their shows where they don't main event, considering the shows where old guys don't main event is the dramatic and vast majority. The reason those few cards exist is because people watch those.

Chael/Wand and Fedor/Mitrione are nowhere near the level of Dada/Kimbo/Shamrock/Gracie, those fights were a complete shitshow

In general i agree as far as the gimmick matches and guys who should be long retired but seeing both wandy and fedor at msg in main/co-mains is worthy. Clearly though, bellator needs to keep signing young contenders.

What you could say is that I think Chael/Wamderlei needs 5 rounds more than Fedor/Mintrone, Chael is likely going to try for a LnP win so that might need awhile to play out where as the latter is likely to be a slug fest.

The fights that are going to draw the most viewers need to headline these Bellator cards that's whats gonna make people tune in, just make sure there's real talent on the maincard as well.

It's just business. If they just did up and coming talent they wouldn't have anything to differentiate themselves from UFC.

I can see this PPV doing better numbers than their first PPV which hit 100k, but the problem with these kinds of cards they face is that they're unsustainable. There are only so many times even the hardcores will be burned and will turn away (I don't watch Bellator live anymore unless it's the only card on tv at the time). Asking 50 bucks to pay for this card is a tough sell, even though they built it up just about as good as they possibly could without destroying every card they could have within a 3 month window of it. I'm not actually sure I'll buy this card, and I am one of those unicorns that gets every UFC PPV unless I'm out somewhere that is showing it already.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably tune in, and that's where they get me. Wandy and Fedor on the same card again, for now at least, it's almost must-see TV even though I'm 95% certain the night will end poorly for longtime Pride fans.

Actually getting people buying PPV's besides the UFC is a significant challenge though, I think your fighting a lot of inertia there and when you actually get them to pay for something else its likely to be easier to do it in the future.

Does TS realize Wandy used to main event over Fedor in Pride too?

I would rather watch DaDa5000 fight than Fedor

He has more street cred

Wandy vs Sonnen has a lot of narrative behind it and is a fight that's simply interesting

Fedor vs Mitriione is a fight between two dudes looking for a paycheck and that's it..there is no narrative behind it

MMA without narrative is cockfighting with a heavy homosexual air around it ..no thanks...

i wanted fedor vs mitrione when it was free, but dont make me pay for their fuck up. fedor vs a top bellator hw and not ol' meathead, i'll pay for. otherwise, meh on this card. chael hasn't looked good at all lately and wanderlei might as well be napping on the beach.

I think Chael should never main event again, after his last performance, but that's more my personal disgust. Heavyweights are pretty unreliable too, and he is probably the biggest name on the card. I hope the other fights are good enough so that nobody really cares what happens in the last fight.

I don't think they should put all their eggs in one basket, if they're so content having these big name / freak show type fights..they should be using them to bring exposure to the more legitimate contenders or talent on their roster. Why they chose to put DaDa, Ken, Royce & Kimbo all the same card I have no idea.

My biggest issues is making this a PPV event. I honestly don't think the match ups support it from an MMA standpoint.

I just don't believe they have the fan base that will support it enough either.

You know damn well this PPV is only taking place simply because of the cost of putting this type of card on. Spike knows they can't recoup the cost through advertising because they haven't been able to get the avg viewership up and sustain it over a period of time to charge more. Which in a nutshell will always be Spike/Bellator's issue with growth. Fans clamor for higher profile fighters but they all come at a cost and they need to be creative on how to make more money for the product. Also being owned by Spike is a major issue. US has always been one of the most lucrative places for massive TV deals and Bellator can't capitalize on that. In fact chances are high a US TV deal would pay more than just about all there other TV deals added up.

Back