Beginner class foot lock question

Armchair Ninja

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Still new to training about 6 months now. In our beginner class there is a guy I have rolled with a couple times that is newer than I am. He is much younger than I am but I can hang with him alright. He just keeps dropping back into foot locks( I guess achilles?) every time I roll with him. He doesn't crank them at least not yet but I haven't been tapping either. I have been waiting for the coaches, who I know have seen it, to tell him to quit but they haven't yet. Everything I have read here and other places seems to forbid foot locks or similar holds for beginners. My question I guess is should I just tap as soon as he grabs it and get on with it, tell him
not to do it myself, avoid him altogether, learn to escape foot locks, whine to the coaches? Any advice would be appreciated.

Talk to your coach and he will explain the rules of your club. Some places do ban footlocks, while others allow them for everyone.

I don't understand the ban on foot locks for lower belts. On Rogan's podcast where he had Rickson on even Rickson said he felt that it should be taught from early on.

Still new to training about 6 months now. In our beginner class there is a guy I have rolled with a couple times that is newer than I am. He is much younger than I am but I can hang with him alright. He just keeps dropping back into foot locks( I guess achilles?) every time I roll with him. He doesn't crank them at least not yet but I haven't been tapping either. I have been waiting for the coaches, who I know have seen it, to tell him to quit but they haven't yet. Everything I have read here and other places seems to forbid foot locks or similar holds for beginners. My question I guess is should I just tap as soon as he grabs it and get on with it, tell him
not to do it myself, avoid him altogether, learn to escape foot locks, whine to the coaches? Any advice would be appreciated.

Learn to escape, beginner straight foot locks aren't hard to deal with.

Don't talk to your coach, that's snitching. Learn how to defend them.

If it is a straight ankle lock which is legal for white belt under ibjjf rules, I don't understand why it would banned or forbided for beginners in a Bjj class.

Beginners are white belts.

If your feet are ever up in the air make sure to keep a grip on him so he can't fall back. If he latches on shove your foot deeper so he is cranking on your calf, push his outside foot to the ground, lift your butt up over it, and come up on top.

Seems fine to me, keep training and learning. Maybe he doesn't know how to pass guard well. If anything, improve your footlock defense.

I just ask in front of everyone before rolling, "are we allowed to foot lock?"

Learn how to defend them, why wait until later when you can start now and get better before you are required to?

A basic straight ankle lock should be taught to all beginners. If you know how to apply and properly defend the basic ankle lock then applying and defending other leg locks is much more intuitive later on. Blue belt and on I encourage students to know kneebars and toe holds in the gi as well as heel hooks in nogi.

Thanks for the advice. I will work on dealing with it. One more question though, and what led me to thinking they would be banned. My son has been training longer than I have and one time told me he attempted a foot lock on a higher ranked guy (blue I think), and the guy flipped out and told him not to do it. Can it vary coach to coach in a club or should it be something of a policy club wide?

I don't know why that would have happened to your son if it was a straight ankle lock. Maybe your son tried to heel hook the other guy and that is why he flipped out. There are a few different variations of foot locks. However, a straight ankle lock is something that all competitions allow for beginners from what I know.

You should just learn to counter and defend the technique. You should also tap if it is something that is hurting you like you would any other joint lock.

Thanks for the advice. I will work on dealing with it. One more question though, and what led me to thinking they would be banned. My son has been training longer than I have and one time told me he attempted a foot lock on a higher ranked guy (blue I think), and the guy flipped out and told him not to do it. Can it vary coach to coach in a club or should it be something of a policy club wide?

Actually there is a simple explainaion for this. That guy that flipped on your son was just being a douche.

All leg locks including straight ankle lock is not allowed under ibjjf rules for kids.

So maybe he was told to not use it in case he starts doing it on other kids as well.

Against an adult, I don't really see the problem.

Years ago. I read that a kid learn the bicep slicer in an adult class.

Then he went to a kid and apllied the slicer and broke the other kid arm in 3 pieces.

But you need to ask the club policies.

Everyone is different.

Some club let their purple belt heelhook white belt and that is just weird for me.

We've practiced foot locks from the beginning, we drill all the same entanglements as everyone else, but when it comes to rolling, straight ankle locks only for white belts, but if you've got a guy your working on stuff with and you trust him, there's no harm in drilling different finishes when you get the position.

It's honestly not difficult to defend against ankle locks from someone who is just dropping down for them. Work on getting your back leg in a position were you can kick off and as he drops down you'll be able to go with him and get on top.. Your leg will still be entangled, but just fight the hands and work on weaving your leg out and you'll probably end up in 3 quarter mount minimum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back