Beginner boxing stance progression?

Practical Goat

Knowledge Seeker
@White
Reaction score
I'm still learning to box so my hands are always up by my face and each hand returns to that point after a punch..

When I watch boxers and/or boxing focused mma fighter's (I'll use Garbrandt as an example).. You never ever see any of them doing this. They always bob, weave and pull away.. Can the foundation style of boxing actually be used in high level competition or do you have to adapt as you progress?

I hope that made sense lol.

It becomes what you are comfortable with WHEN you have enough experience in training/fighting.

For example experienced fights will know their reach impeccably and figure out the other guy's reach and capability ...and then decide when his hands need to be in a certain position.

There is also the psychological aspect of having your hands lower or high against your face. One can be used to entice counter punchers to punch you because you're showing a defensive stance etc. Then there is also the type of combos or punches you like to personally throw- if you're an inside fighter vs someone who relies on their jab with longer reach etc, so many variables.

Short answer- master the basics first then move onto whatever works best for you through experimenting during sparring.

ya, for all the talk of "keep your hands up" lots of great fighters never did that. however, start with strict basics before you start worrying about other things.

You don't have the skills of a pro or even experienced amatuer so if you keep your hands low you are going to get buzzed very regularly. I'm not sure your trainer will put you in the ring to spar until hes happy that you can defend yourself. This also ties in to footwork and awareness of distance and timing. And I would say that almost all boxers still stick to the fundamentals but just add to it as they improve as fighters

Last edited:
As another member put it:

Boxing is like writing, you have to know the rules before you can break them.

Pro boxers don't always keep their hands up, but many times they really do.
___

For mma, it is also a bit different: fighters can also use a front kick to keep the opponent at a distance, so they can afford more to keep the hands low

Don't worry about it. Keep your guard high while you learn the basics. There are lots of pro boxers though who box with that basic high guard style. GGG is one example

I'm still learning to box so my hands are always up by my face and each hand returns to that point after a punch..

When I watch boxers and/or boxing focused mma fighter's (I'll use Garbrandt as an example).. You never ever see any of them doing this. They always bob, weave and pull away.. Can the foundation style of boxing actually be used in high level competition or do you have to adapt as you progress?

I hope that made sense lol.
It would be better to ask in the stand up sub-forum, which is more focused in technique issues.

Keep your hands up.

When you will have enough experience, you will have the luxury to have your hands lower.

Hands down it's like a pact with the devil.. It's a sin.

I always say keep your hands up, although I never practiced what I preach. Beginners don't know how to time very well and they definitely struggle with reach. Using MMA guys is a really poor example because their boxing isn't traditional boxing. Keep the hands up and head off the center line, use basic guarding techniques and make sure your footwork is sound. Good footwork is the most important thing in boxing.

Back