• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Batman (1989) 25th Anniversary Appreciation Thread

Randomly came across this yeserday. Great analysis of how we all loved this movie when we first saw it but it's aged, full of holes and not really Batman but still enjoyable.

I lost my shit about Smith's story with the girl pantomiming "I got a live one here" on him.

I still love Jack Nicholson's performance, but overall the movie doesn't hold up for me anymore. I used to love the two Burton movies as a kid, but as I got older, I could no longer stand Returns and the joy of watching the first film started to fade. As an adult, I'm far more entertained and less angered by the Nolan films.

My biggest issues with Batman are:
- a small, not so young looking Bruce Wayne and an old Joker, and this is supposed to be the beginning of Batman's career
- Batman has an ill-fitting cowl and sluggish fighting, kills enemies
- Prince music

Returns:
- too over-the-top Burton style, at least it was reasonable reigned-in for the previous movie
- bizarre transformation to Catwoman
- crossing the line to corny stuff that aggravates adult viewers, penguins and quacking sonar screen, for instance
(at least Batman looks cooler and moves better in this movie)

In my opinion, that Michael Keaton BATMAN movie paved the way for more big time superhero movies.

Batman-1989-poster.jpg

I heard on the news a few weeks ago it was the 25th anniversary of the Tim Burton classic 'Batman' hitting theaters. I've been busy, so I haven't had much time to rewatch it until yesterday, but it still stacks up to modern releases.

The BluRay release is a fine copy, one of the best I've seen from an 80s movie... several BluRays releases are secretly just copies of the DVD put onto the BluRay disc with no improvement of the picture. Not so for this release, it exceeds all expectations for a release from over 20 years ago.

Rewatching the movie, it made me realize it set the standard for cast, setting, directing, and soundtrack being insync... and secretly, Danny Elfman's epic composing for the sountrack has just as much effect on the overall quality of the movie as Jack Nicholson's legendary potrayal as The Joker.

Joker_festival_2.jpg

Watching Nicholson's scenes reminded me why I consider it to be one of the Top 3 villians in cinematic history. He steals every scene he's in, and debatedly, the entire movie.

batman_1989_9.jpg

P4P the best Batman costume ever. And Keaton is still my favorite actor that's played the role.

I was too young to see it in theaters, but years later I saw it on video and it made a hell of an impression. I probably watched it four times in a week. It lead to my love of Fox's Batman Animated Series... I'll have to rewatch that someday, but that's a much bigger committment than a 2 hour movie.

Anyway guys, if you haven't seen the 1989 Batman movie in a long time, I highly encourage you to... it's every bit as good now as the day it was released... actually better, with the advancements in home theater screens and surround sound.

Feel free to tell your stories of the 1st time watching it.

Oh, and interesting fact - the theatrical release was so highly anticipated, people were playing full price for movie tickets to see the Batman movie trailer, and then walked out, skipping the movie the tickets were for.

[Yt]3L7Z4ae2mIU[/MEDIA]

Oh, and for those that want to debate who played The Joker better, Nicholson or Ledger, I have an old thread with a poll that you can discuss that there.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/who-played-joker-better-nicholson-ledger-2544535/
i'm actually rewatching this now that they hit netflix, this film is even better than I remember.

that batman costume was great. the film also had great batman action figures they were a work of art.

Have any of you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light? I have been meaning to ask you guys that.

kim basinger was also bonertastic in this film at 36 years old

Kim-Basinger-Vicki-Vale.jpg

14309367148376.jpg

ce26dec9bbb0aaaa76cca2e72305f6f7--kim-basinger-funky-style.jpg

what trips me out and something I never noticed as a kid was batman asking vicki vale how much she weighs before using the grappling hook,homegirl says 108. batman must have lol'd at a 5'8" woman lying that she weighs 108 lbs.
e0d7b9915e0aa0824886caf3b17db4e4.jpg

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think it was very poor.
I remember being so excited during the build up to it's theatrical release in the UK. I'd always been a fan of DC's Detectives Comics and Brave and the Bold, and loved Batman. When pics of the batman suit and batmobile first appeared, I thought they were so cool, further increasing my anticipation.
But when I finally saw it in the cinema, I was so disappointed. Slow, dull, with little to praise other than the aesthetics. Unlike most on here, I particularly hated Nicholson's hammy overweight and fake-looking Joker.
Only Alien 3 and Jurassic Park 2 have been bigger letdowns for me of the movies I actually paid to see at the cinema.

I watched this thing 100 times in a row when I was a kid. I absolutely loved it..but I don't think it has aged well at all when I watched it 2 yrs ago.

In my opinion, that Michael Keaton BATMAN movie paved the way for more big time superhero movies.

Without a doubt.

I remember when they first announced that Michael Keaton would be Batman, I was like, "That is a complete joke. He is all wrong for the character." He delivered though. His Batman/Bruce Wayne is rivaled only by Christian Bale's. Jack Nicholson's Joker was better than Heath Ledger's. A Batman film in 1989 still holds up against films made today, and it definitely opened up the door for many other super hero films that followed. Prior to the success of Batman, comic book super hero movies weren't exactly big money.

Just saw this again a couple months ago. I was embarrassed by a lot of the directing/editing and sound. The fight scenes in particular were just horrible. The visual effects that were great at the time do not look good anymore. Gotham looked great though. The music is flawless and the acting was excellent.

Agreed on all counts. It's like you're reading my mind.

Just saw this again a couple months ago. I was embarrassed by a lot of the directing/editing and sound. The fight scenes in particular were just horrible. The visual effects that were great at the time do not look good anymore. Gotham looked great though. The music is flawless and the acting was excellent.
Exact!

Best Gotham City ever in a Batman movie. Every Batman film since then has failed to look as interesting.
iirc it was supposed to inspire the look of the BTAS from the 1940's aesthetic.

Grave digging threads about 1989 Batman? Count me in.

200.gif

Without a doubt.

I remember when they first announced that Michael Keaton would be Batman, I was like, "That is a complete joke. He is all wrong for the character." He delivered though. His Batman/Bruce Wayne is rivaled only by Christian Bale's. Jack Nicholson's Joker was better than Heath Ledger's.

There was always some drama about casting for Batman movies. Keaton, Ledger and Affleck being the biggest dramas, and yet all 3 delivering top performances.

A Batman film in 1989 still holds up against films made today, and it definitely opened up the door for many other super hero films that followed. Prior to the success of Batman, comic book super hero movies weren't exactly big money.

Also, Batman 1989 was a landmark, but no where near as important (to the current series of movies) as Blade is. Remember, 1997 was a disastrous year for comic book movies, with Batman and Robin, Steel and Spawn almost dooming the entire genre. Also, take into account the first wide release Marvel movie was Howard the Duck (for fu**s sake). It' s a damn freakin' miracle we're seeing comic book movies nowdays, and Marvel as the front runner. It still boggles my mind that this one sort of horror vampire movie, with a B level character, toppled Saving private Ryan.

8Z46YDx.gif

Now that i read about Blade and how it came to life, it's almost the same thing as it was with Deadpool. Good team behind it, passionate about the project, and studios not meddling too much. I want more of that, please and thank you.

Grave digging threads about 1989 Batman? Count me in.

200.gif

There was always some drama about casting for Batman movies. Keaton, Ledger and Affleck being the biggest dramas, and yet all 3 delivering top performances.

Also, Batman 1989 was a landmark, but no where near as important (to the current series of movies) as Blade is. Remember, 1997 was a disastrous year for comic book movies, with Batman and Robin, Steel and Spawn almost dooming the entire genre. Also, take into account the first wide release Marvel movie was Howard the Duck (for fu**s sake). It' s a damn freakin' miracle we're seeing comic book movies nowdays, and Marvel as the front runner. It still boggles my mind that this one sort of horror vampire movie, with a B level character, toppled Saving private Ryan.

8Z46YDx.gif

Now that i read about Blade and how it came to life, it's almost the same thing as it was with Deadpool. Good team behind it, passionate about the project, and studios not meddling too much. I want more of that, please and thank you.

Well, Batman & Robin was a horrible piece of work by any standards. Blade followed the 1989 Batman by giving people what they wanted and went back to using darker themes. The Dark Knight Trilogy also borrowed from the 1989 Batman to an extent by portraying a darker, grittier Batman. I think the 1989 Batman set the example first and everything since has been a building block to better and better comic book super hero films ever since.

The art direction in this film is god tier. Gotham is so creepy and beautiful. Plus, Elfman's score really helps set the tone. Started this up again just the other night, after noticing it on Netflix.

Vicki Vale, let me cuddle yooooou.

I remember it was an event. Theaters sold out everywhere, huge lines. Batman mercy everywhere. But then watching it, I was annoyed because Burton is always style over substance. Very fake looking sets and lighting. This is the best one in the series until Nolan’s.

Back