Basic Arm Bar from Guard Q

Magic Swag

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
How do you shoot an armbar from guard without totally telegraphing your intentions? Seems anytime you grip one arm with both of your hands, it's pretty clear what you're going for ...

You don't "shoot" it, as in something that is done quickly. You should strive for establishing control over your opponent's posture and arms, step by step. Also, don't grab one arm with both hands. One hand is enough, the other should control the opponent's posture by gripping the sleeve or the neck.

My latest revelation for getting the armbar from closed guard is to constantly work to getting one of the opponent's arms across my body. This allows me to control posture using my legs only, pinning the arm between our bodies. Often s/he will notice when I start to bring the arm across and defend, but that usually means that the other arm is open instead. By contantly switching sides, I will sooner or later get enough control to start working the submission.

Put a hand in the collar and then swing the hips.

If he addresses the choke his arms move into armbar position. If he ignores the choke he....gets choked.

The only real way you're going to get a standard arm bar raw is if you're just way better then your opponent. All the other times you're just catching him when he's defending his neck or basing for the sweep.

IMO don't use both hand on their arm. Use one hand to pin the arm to your body and use the other to keep them from posturing. I also like to throw my leg over their shoulder first, so they can't pull their arm out. The armbar doesn't have to be a speed move. Use proper technique and control their body, so they can't use common escapes. This will make the move higher percentage.

The high guard armbar is the one used at the higher levels. The basic as commonly taught to beginners is just utter trash that only works against tiny girls and maybe if someone punches you in the face and leaves the arm there.

Because if you shoot for the basic arm bar and the guy pulls his arm back like this you can just shoot a triangle. Also you can't break the arm with the basic arm bar anyway or the high guard arm bar, you should put the elbow on the edge of the hip so the arm has room to bend.

You answered your own question. You don't go for an armbar by grabbing his arm with both hands.

Nic Gregoriades (sp?) has a vid on youtube showing how to armbar with both your hands on opponent's arm. I find it to be really effective against posture i can't break.

Back