Barnett/Nogueira 1 and 2: Which fight b/w these two top 5 alltime great prime HWs was closer?

?

• Total voters

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
Had a back and forth with JKS on this one. I feel despite the split Barnett won the 1st fight more clearly than Nog did the 2nd due to the hooks knockdown and nearly finishing Nog with a kneebar. Nog outlanded him on the feet by volume but most of the fight was on the ground where the war really happened and Barnett got the better of it despite Nog having brief mount/back mounts. Barnett also easily defended against Nogs armlock and escaped while Nog was in as bad a position as u can be with Barnett extending the kneebar with Nog saved by the buzzer.

2nd one Nog one but that was a super close one too. Ppl forget that guillotine by Barnett which was very close. Great fight too but not on the level of the first, more clinching and standup in this one. Nog made sure not too get into too many grappling exchanges in this one. I think Nog deserved it but it wasnt a decisive win by any means. I thought his body work and conditioning was the difference.

kDlM0Y5.png

2519771-6480709705-susum.jpg

Barnett5.gif

39722.jpg

Barnett6.gif

Barnett9.gif

I'll have to rewatch both fights. Rewatching the first will be a pleasure, as it's one of my favorite MMA fights ever and one of the best heavyweight fights of all time, too.

I'll have to rewatch both fights. Rewatching the first will be a pleasure, as it's one of my favorite MMA fights ever and one of the best heavyweight fights of all time, too.

Its clearly the best HW fight of alltime IMO and arguably the best MMA fight ever in terms of showing what MMA is about from striking to grappling technique, momentum shifts, nonstop action, a near finish, heart/grit, technique etc.

IMO the greatest HW rivalry of all time.

They matched up so incredibly well. The first fight is not only the best HW fight I've ever seen, but truly one of the great fights in MMA history. Holy fuck was this a great period for MMA.

IMO the greatest HW rivalry of all time.

They matched up so incredibly well. The first fight is not only the best HW fight I've ever seen, but truly one of the great fights in MMA history. Holy fuck was this a great period for MMA.

A shame it didnt have a trilogy.

First one was closer. Barnett clearly faded in the second round of the second fight.

I thought 1 was closer (one of the very best fights of all time). I've seen it many times and scored it for each guy many times. I've never seen the rematch for Barnett.

The second fight was longer, and Barnett started to gas. He snatched a guillotine in the final round to tighten up the score, but Nog had already gained so much on him with his striking. Barnett left himself open for knees after boxing exchanges. He kept ducking his head (fatigue, too. This was his 8th top-level fight in 14 months), and Nog saw the opening and made him pay.

About to check this out on FightPass. Thanks guys.

No gif of the slam in the 2nd fight??

Both fights are great IMO but I have to say I'm more of a fan of the 2nd fight

I dont remember the second fight being close at all

First fight was closer overall, but the kneebar was deep. I don’t think a technical submission would have been a horrible call due to no defense from nog other than yelling. Nog is my all time favorite fighter btw.

I’m always surprised that no matter how many times I watch them I agree with the decision in both of them. Super close, but not controversial.

I also think Nog edged out Rico

They were both close competitive fights, which is why they're so great

I thought Josh clearly won the 1st fight and the rematch was closer to a tie.

It was with these fights that you could start to see that Minotauro was declining.

He still boxed Barnett up in the second fight but his reflexes, reaction and grappling wasnt as sharp as it used to be so he sharpened up his hands and kept it standing the second time around and gave Barnett a lesson in boxing.

Back