Barely any big fights booked...

I took "oversaturated" to be a reference to the number of events. If we're talking about number of fighters, then we can definitely agree that there are WAY too many fighters on the roster. I'm not sure what the number is these days, but I stopped paying attention when it hit 500. If all the best fighters fought 3 times per year, I think the roster could easily be cut to 300. But it seems to me that: (1) the fighters at the top prefer to be inactive and squat on their positions; and (2) the UFC is fine with the inactivity because it allows them to fill cards with cheap regional fighters.
Oh ok, gotcha....I think even if the top fighters are inactive, a roster of 250-300 would still be more than sufficient. By the way, there were 721 fighters on the roster in 2022. I'm assuming it's around the same if not more now.

Well, the UFC is seriously lacking stars imo, it's oversaturated and because of that it has become bland with no name fighters.

ONE FC at this point has more exciting, world class fighters - Rodtang, Haggerty, Superbon, Superlek, Nong-O, Demetrious Johnson, Allazov, Gregorian, Soldic etc

In the UFC, Jones is old at the end of his career and I'm not really interested, the HW division is trash right now. There's Izzy but again he's getting on but is still the biggest star. Then who...? Khamzat would be a star but they are not making him fight it's bizarre. Usman/Colby/Masvidal all old or retired.

ONE FC at this point has more exciting, world class fighters at this point - Rodtang, Haggerty, Superbon, Superlek, Nong-O, Demetrious Johnson, Allazov, Gregorian, Soldic etc

In the UFC, Jones is old at the end of his career and I'm not really interested, the HW division is trash right now. There's Izzy but again he's getting on but is still the biggest star. Then who...? Khamzat would be a star but they are not making him fight it's bizarre. Usman/Colby/Masvidal all old or retired.
Agreed, anyone that watches One FC knows that they are killing it. From the fighters, to the rules, to the different disciplines, it's just great all around imo. It actually makes me look at the UFC different, like I said, bland.

Khamzat vs usman is in the works, supposedly. Usman doesn't like to sit around and khamzat hasn't fought in a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see they announced for pretty soon.

Well, the UFC is seriously lacking stars imo, it's oversaturated and because of that it's one of the many reasons the UFC has become bland, there's too many no name fighters.

If you wake me up in the middle of the night and ask who is the UFC LHW champ?

I will need some time to think at Hill.

UFC front loaded their PPVs for first half of 2023. Really disappointing. I think the poll last year everyone wanted to see Khamzat and he hasn't even been booked halfway through the year. Then Islam was basically held back until October even though he wanted to fight sooner. The thing is if fighting 2x a year is "active", then one injury or delay turns their career into 1x a year. Which for most fans forget about them existing.

Agreed, anyone that watches One FC knows that they are killing it. From the fighters, to the rules, to the different disciplines, it's just great all around imo. It actually makes me look at the UFC different, like I said, bland.

Yeah the finishing rate of each org is a factor massively in One's favour too. I think it's 70% Vs 40% only in UFC. Too many decisions.

The disease of inactivity has swept over the UFC in recent years too. Fighters doing just 2 fights a year or even once a year makes it just as bad as boxing, which I never thought would be replicated in the UFC. Should be 3 fights minimum ideally a fight every 3 months.

Been watching MMA since PRIDE and I think UFC is in a declining state, One is going upwards.

Yeah the finishing rate of each org is a factor massively in One's favour too. I think it's 70% Vs 40% only in UFC. Too many decisions.

The disease of inactivity has swept over the UFC in recent years too. Fighters doing just 2 fights a year or even once a year makes it just as bad as boxing, which I never thought would be replicated in the UFC. Should be 3 fights minimum ideally a fight every 3 months.

Been watching MMA since PRIDE and I think UFC is in a declining state, One is going upwards.

3 fights a year is once every 4 months.

Well, the UFC is seriously lacking stars imo, it's oversaturated and because of that it's one of the many reasons the UFC has become bland, there's too many no name fighters.
UFC is dying bro.

There is virtually no star power anymore. In the last 5 or so years, they lost (in no particular order):

Lesnar
Silva
Mighty Mouse
Aldo
GSP
Cain
Rhonda
Francis
Nick/Nate
Joanna
Khabib
Cormier
Woodley
Henderson
Machida
Shogun
Sonnen
Cyborg
Conor (Inactive)
Lawler
Masvidal
... and Jones has one foot in retirement

Currently they have:

Alex
Izzy
Sterling
Gane
Oliveira
Walker
Jiri
Pavlovich
Gaethje
Figgy
Volk
Leon
Bo
Max
Nunes
All the other WMMA champs (<45>)
Whitaker
Costa (busy trolling)
Khaz (inactive)
Usman (close to retirement)
Ian
Thompson
Paddy (low budget Conor)
Colby (inactive)
How is Pereira even on this list yet alone first. He has literally no star power outside of Izzy.

The Islam/Volk, Jones/Gane, Leon/Usman 2, Izzy/Alex 2 run was incredible. Had Merab/Sandhagen/Max performances as well. Definitely looking stale for now.

But there are some interesting fights coming up months from now w/ Volk/Yair, Hill/Jiri, Leon/Colby, Aljo/O'Malley, & likely Jones/Stipe. Izzy/Alex 3 would be pretty cool. Khamzat vs Usman or Costa. Conor/Chandler if it actually happens.

Evs and flows
Seriously if what you listed is trash to any fan mma just isn’t for them. That’s a solid upcoming list

yeah, it's the doldrums. have to admit i'm interested in jones / stipe, but 'interested' is as far as it goes, as in curious to see how stipe looks, not exactly psyched or anything. the rest is take it or leave it.

While I acknowledge that the upcoming events are relatively uneventful, there are numerous significant fights on the horizon that are still awaiting confirmation. These include matchups like Jones against Stipe, Hill versus Jiri, Adesanya challenging the next middleweight contender, Alex Pereira's debut in the light heavyweight division, Khamzat Chimaev's upcoming bout, Edwards against Colby, McGregor facing Chandler, Poirier taking on Gaethje, Islam's next fight, and Sterling vs O’Malley, not to mention the extensive list of top 15 contenders without confirmed fights. If the matchmakers don’t fuck this up, we should have some legendary fights in 2023.

Back