Banging the Body Kicks - A Handy Dandy Guide

AndyMaBobs

Sherdog Retiree
@Brown
Reaction score
The clinch tutorial write up IS coming, but I'm really trying to think carefully about it before I type it up.

So in the mean time I thought I'd do another, briefer breakdown focussing solely on round kicks. If you haven't read the last HDG I did 'Winning Your Muay Thai Fight' then here's the link:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/winning-your-muay-thai-fight-a-handy-dandy-guide.3478787/

TODAY we're going to be going a bit more in depth on round kicks to the body, from both the lead and rear leg. We're not going to be talking about application, however, as that's a whole other kettle of fish... instead we're going to talk purely about the correct technique you should use to throw a body kick.

Rear Body Kick

I recently started training 1 to 1 with another muay thai coach, who I've known for years but only trained once with. He asked me what I wanted to focus on and I confessed that even though I've trained Muay Thai for nearly 5 years - I've never been remotely good at kicking.

I have a complex problem, part of it isn't my fault, the rest completely is. I had a medical condition as achild that left me spending a lot of time in a wheelchair, it affected my right hip and as a result my left leg has always been considerably stronger.

This meant I have had a strong right kick, as I stand on my left leg when throwing it, but my left kick has always been lacking. Being a southpaw, this was a bit of a problem for me - as my method to getting better at throwing a kick was simply "throw that kick more and you'll get good".

Unfortunately practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. So we got hard at work fixing the technique and giving me a proper body kick.

My gym in London is a very Thai style gym. My main muay thai coach is a Thai, and prior to this session I had only trained with him, and my private coach also trained under him and a few other thai coaches back in the day. So I will be honest and say that if you don't like the muay thai style of kicking, you'll have to bare with me as it's the only way I know how to explain a kick with any depth.

The following steps detail to you what I was doing wrong, and how they were fixed, with gif examples. Some of the gifs have been taken from Jack Slack articles and Muay Thai Analyst articles - in order to illustrate how to do it.

Step One - Directing the Leg
One of the big misconceptions about muay thai is that the round kick comes round in a wide arc. This isn't really true, in fact if you watch thai's fight you'll see that their kick actually comes UP and then they'll turn their hip.

In this regard, a thai kick isn't as different from a karate style kick as some might have you believe, the main difference is that the Thai style kick does it more in one motion, as opposed to a karate kick which has a very clear chamber.

What I really want you guys reading to get into the habit of doing, is kicking upwards and THEN turning your hip as you pivot. This prevents the kick coming from a big wide arc and telegraphing your attack. Ever notice how people on sherdog always say that a Thai kick is telegraphed, yet thai's are able to bang body kick without repercussion all the time? This is why, the kick is NOT telegraphed when done correctly.

Yodsanklai-vs-Artem-Levin-9h_VePr_9Kk.gif

Notice how Yodsanklai's leg doesn't look like it swings round it almost rises. It's not that different from a kick from Anthony Pettis, who despite being labelled a TKD fighter because of his background, has trained years of muay thai.
TemptingBrokenHadrosaurus.gif

Here's Saenchai demonstrating the same upwards trajectory on the pads.
Saenchai-Padwork.gif

What my coach got me to do, in order to correctly drive upwards, was tie a belly pad around the heavy bag and get me to try to kick inwards while shifting the bag up. I must say that exercise definitely got me cutting up at an angle, under the arm and into the ribs of my coach when we practiced light sparring after.

Step Two - The Pivot
The pivot is what we're going to do to change the trajectory of the kick, it's how you turn your hips over and how you stop your knee from twisting and hurting itself. How far you pivot depends on the person but I personally pivot until my heel is near facing the opponent, my foot hasn't turned completely 180, but far enough. Similar to the gifs provided. This allows you to turn your hips over with minimal effort, rather than thinking about it, you will simply do it.

Sam-A-Push-Off-Back-Foot-_Jogu1dSpng.gif

Step Three - Be Big... But Relaxed
One of the things that really helped me get the trajectory of the kick right, was the idea of being big. He said he hates how short fighters in the UK make themselves even smaller but crouching and trying to be like little Mike Tysons. He said it's better to be big, to rise with the kick. This was the last thing we implemented and it's probably because it can be a little overwhelming to try to do everything at once straight out. My coach got me to thrust my rear hip forward and then let my leg go, and to come up high on the ball of my foot. This allowed me to get properly into the kick without leaning back, keeping my arm outstretched in order to stop potential punches from meeting me as I throw it.

While guys like Duke Roufus will often advocate leaning back, and while I'm sure it has it's merits, it's not the way I was taught. I'd recommend keeping your back straight, this allows more power in the kick as you are more relaxed. You rise into the kick, become a big powerful kicker and stay tall. You should stay relaxed until the moment your kick lands and that's when you tense for a moment.

Yodsanklai-Forward-Step-DDZN3n2nznw.gif

In this image, Yod throws a kick on the arm, which is a useful strategy for opening up the body for kicks.

Kicking this way will allow you the maximum weight transfer and maximum power in your kick. You want to hit hard. You want to be big, if you're opponents the same size as you, you want him to feel like you're bigger, and if he's taller than you, you want to mitigate that difference for that kick. A lot of fighting, especially muay thai is about the psychological side of the fight, and how the judges weirdly try to assume what you're both thinking as you're fighting. So being big on kicks is essential.

Yodsanklai-Fairtex-Balance.jpg

Essentially, this is another way of saying to spring into the kick. I thought it would be better to term it as 'being big' however, as I don't want newbies to get the impression that they should literally spring and wind up jumping into kicks and hurting themselves. Which is an easy mistake to make.

Step Four - Recall
We spoke about it in 'Winning Your Muay Thai Fight' but recall is one of the most important parts to good, clean technique. There are two ways that I would personally recommend recalling a kick.

The first is to simply bring the leg back down, along the same narrow arc you threw it, and ensure that it comes back safely to the stance. This should be your default way of recalling your leg, you want to keep the recalling movement small, don't wing your leg back, just recall it the way it came, like you're doing the same kick but in reverse.

The second should be your go two if you notice that you're opponent is throwing counter body kicks a lot. It's quite common for the better guys out there (other sherdoggers of course) to know that the best counter to a body kick is to throw another one, right after checking.

This is where the floating check comes in. We talked about the floating check last time, and we're gonna go over it again now! You throw your kick, and as you recall it you bring it to a checking position before putting your foot back down. This will allow for a safe recall from that counter body kick.

Lead Body Kick
You'll have no doubt noticed that all of the rear body kick's you saw earlier came from southpaws, or orthodox fighters against southpaws. The reason for that is because a banging rear kick to the body is really more of a southpaw move. It's not that orthodox fighter's don't do it, so much as it is that an orthodox fighter's rear kick is more usually going to be targeting the opponents leg or head. Orthodox fighters tend to hunt body kicks with their lead leg.

Fortunately the switch kick is a little easier to explain, as when you understand a rear kick, you also understand every mechanic you need for the switch kick. This kick is fundamentally the same except it's thrown from the lead leg, which is why it requires a switch in stance. While it's true that there are some Japanese and Chinese martial arts that focus on throwing the kick straight up without a switch, it's also true that they don't hit nearly as hard, and also fundamentally miss the point of why the switch is important.

Step One - Understand Why You Switch

You are not switching just to kick with your lead leg, you're switching to eat space. The common beginner mistake is to have a big switch, where you almost jump between stances before throwing a rear body kick from your newly adopted stance. This is not what you want to do. The purpose of a switch is not just to kick with the lead leg, it's to bring you forward and into your opponent. In MMA, no one understands this better than Donald Cerrone - but in Muay Thai, ironically it's the gym full of low kickers who have, in my opinion, the best lead body kicking technique.

Step Two - The Whisper Step

In order to get this forward moving momentum you need to adopt the whisper step. When you swap your legs around all you've done is announce that you're going to throw the kick and thereby you lose the distance. Your opponent will usually have either moved out of the way, or countered you with a teep upon seeing your big wide switch.

The whisper step, as it's known at Sitmonchai gym can be broken down into three easy steps.

1) Drag your lead foot back a small amount, around 6 inches

2) Bring your front leg forward in front of your lead leg

Kru-Dam-Whisper-Step-w1400.jpg

3) Kick
Whisper-Step-Kru-Dam-GIF.gif

You'll notice from watching Kru Dam's head during the gif, that he actually advances as he throws the kick, allowing him to chase his opponent down. This is impossible with a big, telegraphed switch. The technique feels awkward at first - but is far more effective.

Step Three - Trajectory
As I said before, the rest of the kick is the same as if you were throwing a rear body kick, you make yourself large, you pivot (although you'll often have pre-pivoted with the step) and you'll hopefully have TKO'd your opponent.

What's different is the actual trajectory of the kick. If you're an orthodox fighter then it's not much different as you're aiming for the liver. If you're a southpaw however, you really want to be using it as a shepherding tool, as there aren't any organs you can get much out of kicking on your opponents left side. So you'll want to angle the kick a little bit higher and hit him in the ribcage, or even on the arm, this will serve to take away your opponents lead arm, and lead them towards your left body kick.

And there we have it! Those are my tips for body kicking, hopefully I'll get round to doing that clinch piece now!

Really liked that!

It's probably the first long write up that I actually read from start to finish in a long time lol.

Definitely agree on the keeping your back straight for round kicks it's way more powerful. Leaning back has it's place too but for whenever I'm throwing a hard round kick my back is almost always straight like Yod's - it makes a huge difference. The only time I'm leaning on my right round kick is if I'm trying to sneak a kick in under your guard or if range wise I'm close.

I think the leaning back is useful when you're in close range to someone and need to lean back slightly to create space to pivot/kick. Also I feel like when you lean back with kicks it helps pinpoint certain areas of the body (like under the floating rib or liver) a lot better than if you were to otherwise keep your back straight. For example when you're throwing a liver kick or trying to kick a specific part of the body - I think keeping your back straight makes that harder to do. I think that's why if you watch liver kick KO's nearly everyone throwing those kicks is leaning back.

I think the upwards trajectory kick is great - hell I use it a lot but I don't think you can pinpoint kicks nearly as well when your leaning back. At least that's the experience I've had with it. The con is of course it's not as powerful as keeping your back straight. I suppose both are handy to have in the tool bag.

Really liked that!

It's probably the first long write up that I actually read from start to finish in a long time lol.

Definitely agree on the keeping your back straight for round kicks it's way more powerful. Leaning back has it's place too but for whenever I'm throwing a hard round kick my back is almost always straight like Yod's - it makes a huge difference. The only time I'm leaning on my right round kick is if I'm trying to sneak a kick in under your guard or if range wise I'm close.

I think the leaning back is useful when you're in close range to someone and need to lean back slightly to create space to pivot/kick. Also I feel like when you lean back with kicks it helps pinpoint certain areas of the body (like under the floating rib or liver) a lot better than if you were to otherwise keep your back straight. For example when you're throwing a liver kick or trying to kick a specific part of the body - I think keeping your back straight makes that harder to do. I think that's why if you watch liver kick KO's nearly everyone throwing those kicks is leaning back.

I think the upwards trajectory kick is great - hell I use it a lot but I don't think you can pinpoint kicks nearly as well when your leaning back. At least that's the experience I've had with it. The con is of course it's not as powerful as keeping your back straight. I suppose both are handy to have in the tool bag.

I'm glad you liked it! :D I'm not opposed to leaning back on a kick, but where I was never taught it I prefer to rely on what I know. That being said, side teeps I have a bit of a lean on.

The way my coach broke it down in terms of trajectory was
Down, Up, Down
So a leg kick chops down, a body kick careens up, and a head kick chops down. Which I think is right

Good stuff. I usually try to keep my back straight anyways, not something I was taught formally, its just I feel firm and more balanced with it, leaning back sometimes it feels compromised. Not to mention being able to get more power into it.

Of course seeing Thais kick like that kinda confirmed my suspicions on it.

Nice post. But as always, i wont let you get away with the things i disagree with:

-There are 2 main trajectories for the mid round house:
Upward and what you call wide arc. I call them 45° and 90°. The thing is, a 90° kick is not a faulty technique. Its just a roundhouse with another purpose.
Yodsanklai's first gift, his trajectory is 45° because he wants to go under the elbow/arm, and he knows he wont catch a checking knee. But when you anticipate a regular MT defense with a check, you make a wider swing, to avoid the leg by going above it, and blast the arms. This will still give you points and do more damage to the arms than a 45°. You also avoid the pointy part of the elbow.

-Leg kicks chops down when you strike the outside part. When you go for the inside, your trajectory should be more upward.

-Leaning back is a very good way to make it difficult for those who like to counter with punches when you kick. And with proper technique, you will see that you don't loose so much power. And you gain a little reach. But you loose some balance.

-I don't fully agree when you say that: "also fundamentally miss the point of why the switch is important.." it's just for them, speed and contact on an open target is more important than power, trying to do a switch kick in a TKD match is completely useless. It's too slow, with a huge tell. you wont catch a decent fighter with one.

-Another thing is the step in. Most of the MT fighter will do a step before throwing the round house. It helps closing the distance and adds power. But again, for other martial arts based on speed its a big tell. But you can hide it, most classic method is for those who are heavy on the back foot, with the front foot bouncing up and down, you time it and hide your step inside a bounce.

-There is still the spleen in the left side. it may not cause as much KO as the liver, but it still get damage.

-My biggest disagreement is about this: "You are not switching just to kick with your lead leg, you're switching to eat space"

The primary objective for a switch kick, is to hit the other side of the body. You don't close the distance with a regular switch. If you do, it's a step in switch kick, or a jumping switch kick, or shifting kick. And those are different techniques.

Even in the gift you posted, you can see it. The distance of a kick depends on where the planted foot is. Not where the kicking leg is. Watch Kru's dam feet. The rear foot doesn't go closer to Sylvie than where his front foot was. When you switch, your rear foot is planted next to where your front foot was. You just switch stance, you don't advance.
The fact that your front foot doesn't go all the way back, doesn't change the distance. It's done that way only because its faster, and you don't loose too much power.
Try it yourself. Do a proper switch, without kicking. You should be in the exact same position you where, just with the opposite stance.
Also try to kick an object with your rear leg. Try to put it the object as far as possible, so that you kick it just with your toes. Now without moving from your position, try to kick it with your front foot, without a switch. You will see that you wont reach it. This exercise will make you understand that its the planted leg that dictates the distance and not the kicking one.

I'm glad you liked it! :D I'm not opposed to leaning back on a kick, but where I was never taught it I prefer to rely on what I know. That being said, side teeps I have a bit of a lean on.

The way my coach broke it down in terms of trajectory was
Down, Up, Down
So a leg kick chops down, a body kick careens up, and a head kick chops down. Which I think is right

So what's the name of your gym.....

Shin body kicks are imo one of the highest risk for mma, together with teeps. I think it's easy to complain about fighters not throwing enough of either, but the problem is they both can be countered in the same way: make a small evasive movement, catch, trip. And "making a small evasive movement" is already a defense against most attacks, which eases the job of someone who likes to counter (such as myself). From there you can choose between what you can and want to do: finish the fight with a leg lock, make him miserable from top position, or if you really don't want to go to the ground with him you can still at least land some free shots in the aftermath of the trip before standing up.

Even if you manage to get your leg out when someone catches, odds are you will be momentarily off balance and stuck in front of him, both because you are on one leg. If his reaction then is to step in rather than reset, he can still take you down easier than normal. Something which in thaiboxing you don't have to worry about as much because takedowns and the most effective/simplest trips and throws are banned (and so is having to scramble out from the bottom after them :p).

That's not to say don't throw them. Obviously getting shin kicked really sucks, and teeps are both draining and a long centerline attack.

-I don't fully agree when you say that: "also fundamentally miss the point of why the switch is important.." it's just for them, speed and contact on an open target is more important than power, trying to do a switch kick in a TKD match is completely useless. It's too slow, with a huge tell. you wont catch a decent fighter with one.

-Another thing is the step in. Most of the MT fighter will do a step before throwing the round house. It helps closing the distance and adds power. But again, for other martial arts based on speed its a big tell. But you can hide it, most classic method is for those who are heavy on the back foot, with the front foot bouncing up and down, you time it and hide your step inside a bounce.

I think this is due to each sport's format. Because of the tiny ring and sharp corners, the Thaiboxing format changes the way you can and have to fight by taking away your ability to move. In tkd and mma, because of the bigger arenas, "telegraphing" is easier to punish simply because you can move more and movement is a default response to striking attempts in the first place. For the same reason, movement as a response might be less emphasized in MT training in the first place too, which would again make "loading up" more effective. I think you referred to the same idea with your "open target" comment.

Last edited:
Can you flesh out the target of the kick more please? I mean about whether you target the rib cage of the soft fleshy part between the rib cage and hip. What are the pros and cons of each target? It is something that I have been thinking about lately.

The primary objective for a switch kick, is to hit the other side of the body. You don't close the distance with a regular switch. If you do, it's a step in switch kick, or a jumping switch kick, or shifting kick. And those are different techniques.

Even in the gift you posted, you can see it. The distance of a kick depends on where the planted foot is. Not where the kicking leg is. Watch Kru's dam feet. The rear foot doesn't go closer to Sylvie than where his front foot was. When you switch, your rear foot is planted next to where your front foot was. You just switch stance, you don't advance.
The fact that your front foot doesn't go all the way back, doesn't change the distance. It's done that way only because its faster, and you don't loose too much power.
Try it yourself. Do a proper switch, without kicking. You should be in the exact same position you where, just with the opposite stance.
Also try to kick an object with your rear leg. Try to put it the object as far as possible, so that you kick it just with your toes. Now without moving from your position, try to kick it with your front foot, without a switch. You will see that you wont reach it. This exercise will make you understand that its the planted leg that dictates the distance and not the kicking one.

Actually, he does advance

The planted leg is solely what I'm referring to when talking about the switch to eat space. I think you may have misinterpreted what I was getting at on that specific paragraph. Keep in mind that come forward with his planted leg is bringing him closer to Sylvie, he is advanced, but he is advancing on an angle, if you notice his right leg gets closer to her than his left ever was. Mike Winklejohn also uses that method.

I'd say I agree with you on thr 45% vs the 90%, I've spoken with Azam before on how Yodsanklai changes up the arc on his kick. The reason I don't like the leaning back however (although you'll notice, I didn't say don't do this, just that it's not how I was taught) - is that it assumes that you leaning back on the kick is the last strike of the exchange. Your head has to come back at some point, and leaning way back assumes that your opponent isn't going to stick around after the kick to throw more leather. Now it's true that if he does that, he could catch you either way but you wouldn't be creating a collission by rocking back to your stance and catching the punch.

I know that, because that's exactly what I've always done to people who have leaned back on strikes, I'd simply double up on the left hand.

All in all though, good response, I like that it gives readers more opinions and options!

Shin body kicks are imo one of the highest risk for mma, together with teeps. I think it's easy to complain about fighters not throwing enough of either, but the problem is they both can be countered in the same way: make a small evasive movement, catch, trip. And "making a small evasive movement" is already a defense against most attacks, which eases the job of someone who likes to counter (such as myself). From there you can choose between what you can and want to do: finish the fight with a leg lock, make him miserable from top position, or if you really don't want to go to the ground with him you can still at least land some free shots in the aftermath of the trip before standing up.

Even if you manage to get your leg out when someone catches, odds are you will be momentarily off balance and stuck in front of him, both because you are on one leg. If his reaction then is to step in rather than reset, he can still take you down easier than normal. Something which in thaiboxing you don't have to worry about as much because takedowns and the most effective/simplest trips and throws are banned (and so is having to scramble out from the bottom after them :p).

That's not to say don't throw them. Obviously getting shin kicked really sucks, and teeps are both draining and a long centerline attack.

That's the beauty of sparring. When I spar combat sambo, I don't stop myself from throwing kicks, I just throw as many as I like, and a bit more, because eventually I'll get the timing right to stop myself from getting taken down on every one of them.

Carlos Condit and Donald Cerrone throw those dangerous kicks all the time, and Shogun Rua throws a fully turned over thai style kick like it's nothing. So if you keep at it, you'll get good at it. I don't like this attitude of avoiding certain techniques because they're risky starting out, because otherwise you'll never get good at them.

Make sure you've got a good ground game and then spam kicks like Rockhold! :p

@Superhet

Agree, but i also believe that if you put a TKD guy inside a ring, the step in will be a huge tell for him and will give him an advantage. He wont be at his best, since a big open space is a huge part of the way they fight, but their reflex to a cue are second to none. Depending on the rules, they may event put a good fight against a MT fighter.

@AndyMaBobs

God dammit its very frustrating and hard for me to explain detailed techniques in a forum. I am one of those guys that needs to show in person with examples what i want to say. If you add the fact that english is not my first language (heck, its not even my second), you can understand why all you smart asses think you are so much clever than me, and get away saying nonsenses like "punching is useful in MT..."

-I personally don't lean back when i throw the round house, but i have trained enough from TKD to be able to use it if needed in certain specific situation. But when i spar in TKD and don't use it at all, i get punished a lot. Axe kick or back kick to the head been good easy counters...

-For the switch. To be clear, i don't say that closing the distance is wrong, or useless or something like that. I just say that it's not the basic way to throw a switch kick. It's like another level to the strike. If you want to show the switch kick to a beginner, your switching position should be almost identical with your regular position just in a reversed stance.
Some people add to the switch the step in they would use on a regular round house, and that may give the impression of closing the distance, or taking an angle. But it's exactly the same as a roundhouse with the basic step.
The basic step will take you a little closer to your opponent, but it's not a technique that you put in the category of closing the distance.
The step in low kick for example, is a technique for closing distance. The step is a lot more exaggerated than the one for a mid round kick.

The basic switch kick, even with the step in incorporated, is a different technique from the closing distance switch kick. And that's why i don't agree when you say that you switch kick to eat the space.
No. you switch kick to kick from the other side. It's the same as saying you throw a regular round house to eat the space. No, that would be a different technique.
If you want to eat space you can do it with both a switch kick or a round house, but those are not the basic ones anymore...

I don't know if that made my point clearer (highly doubt it), but at least it will take some of your time from thinking about punches...

Inside a ring, the step in will be a huge tell for him and will give him an advantage. He wont be at his best, since a big open space is a huge part of the way they fight, but their reflex to a cue are second to none. Depending on the rules, they may event put a good fight against a MT fighter.

[USER=455483]@AndyMaBobs

God dammit its very frustrating and hard for me to explain detailed techniques in a forum. I am one of those guys that needs to show in person with examples what i want to say. If you add the fact that english is not my first language (heck, its not even my second), you can understand why all you smart asses think you are so much clever than me, and get away saying nonsenses like "punching is useful in MT..."

-I personally don't lean back when i throw the round house, but i have trained enough from TKD to be able to use it if needed in certain specific situation. But when i spar in TKD and don't use it at all, i get punished a lot. Axe kick or back kick to the head been good easy counters...

-For the switch. To be clear, i don't say that closing the distance is wrong, or useless or something like that. I just say that it's not the basic way to throw a switch kick. It's like another level to the strike. If you want to show the switch kick to a beginner, your switching position should be almost identical with your regular position just in a reversed stance.
Some people add to the switch the step in they would use on a regular round house, and that may give the impression of closing the distance, or taking an angle. But it's exactly the same as a roundhouse with the basic step.
The basic step will take you a little closer to your opponent, but it's not a technique that you put in the category of closing the distance.
The step in low kick for example, is a technique for closing distance. The step is a lot more exaggerated than the one for a mid round kick.

The basic switch kick, even with the step in incorporated, is a different technique from the closing distance switch kick. And that's why i don't agree when you say that you switch kick to eat the space.
No. you switch kick to kick from the other side. It's the same as saying you throw a regular round house to eat the space. No, that would be a different technique.
If you want to eat space you can do it with both a switch kick or a round house, but those are not the basic ones anymore...

I don't know if that made my point clearer (highly doubt it), but at least it will take some of your time from thinking about punches...[/USER]

Yeah I get what you mean, explaining through text alone really is a bitch. I think I do understand what you're getting at more now though!

Out of interest, what is your first language, because I wouldn't have ever guessed that it wasn't

I think I see where the disgreement/confusion is coming from with regards to switch kicks and eating space but I'm not quite sure how to explain it, I'll give it my best try. ARIZE is correct in that the range of a kick is set by where the planted leg is, the key is where that planted leg is when you're throwing the regular kick or a switch kick. Depending on where the planted leg is placed you can move the range of either kick forward or backward, you can close space, maintain space, or create space.

Let's assume both guys are in the same stance in kicking range. If you throw a rear round house straight from your stance, you'll hit him square across the back. If you do a switch kick where you bring your back foot level with your front, you'll hit him square across the stomach. The range is the same, and as ARIZE noted you're just hitting him on the opposite side.

The confusion happens because we don't stand in a completely square level stance in front of the opponent, in real life one leg is always ahead of the other so that if you were to kick straight from your stance, the rear leg will always more range since it starts from a pivot location which is closer to the opponent. This is why we generally bring the pivot location (ie. the planted leg) forward when throwing a switch kick, you could call it closing the distance but it's actually just equalizing the distance by having both kicks start from around the same distance to the opponent.

You could also do this in reverse, let's say your opponent is too close for you to kick with your rear leg. You can still kick him straight out of your stance with your front leg or you can step your front leg back to the same distance as your rear leg and then kick with the back leg. And if your opponent is standing outside of kicking range, you can eat up space by moving the planted leg forward of where your front foot was before kicking, this would be a step-in kick, works with either switch or regular.

-There are 2 main trajectories for the mid round house:
Upward and what you call wide arc. I call them 45° and 90°. The thing is, a 90° kick is not a faulty technique. Its just a roundhouse with another purpose.
Yodsanklai's first gift, his trajectory is 45° because he wants to go under the elbow/arm, and he knows he wont catch a checking knee. But when you anticipate a regular MT defense with a check, you make a wider swing, to avoid the leg by going above it, and blast the arms. This will still give you points and do more damage to the arms than a 45°. You also avoid the pointy part of the elbow.

I tend to agree with this statement. I think the ideal trajectory of the kick, be it 45 or 90 is contingent not only on where you intend to land the kick but also on the position your throwing it from (typically as part of a combination). I.E - If I'm throwing the kick off a lateral step (lateral step with lead hook, hide the step) then I prefer the 90° angle (body or head, also if i'm aiming at the rear leg, directly or under/through the check). vs. I prefer the 45° angle if I'm in the pocket (boxing range). Nonetheless, I think the ideal trajectory of the kick as well as the posture (leaning back vs over top hips) has more to do with the position your throwing it from and both have their place.

That's the beauty of sparring. When I spar combat sambo, I don't stop myself from throwing kicks, I just throw as many as I like, and a bit more, because eventually I'll get the timing right to stop myself from getting taken down on every one of them.

Carlos Condit and Donald Cerrone throw those dangerous kicks all the time, and Shogun Rua throws a fully turned over thai style kick like it's nothing. So if you keep at it, you'll get good at it. I don't like this attitude of avoiding certain techniques because they're risky starting out, because otherwise you'll never get good at them.

Make sure you've got a good ground game and then spam kicks like Rockhold! :p

I was actually going to say "you'll really want to to a ton of light sparring (something you want to do anyway) to get the timing of those kicks down to a science." Not sure why I edited that out o_O

you could call it closing the distance but it's actually just equalizing the distance by having both kicks start from around the same distance to the opponent.

That. When you switch (basic one), you are not taking a step forwards, you are not walking or shifting towards your opponent. You just kinda hop in the same place you already are, while "exchanging" position between your front and rear leg.

Back