Back pain from boxing

jonwade92

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know this topic has been raised quite a bit all over the internet, but the fix always seems to be something not pertaining to my situation, so here it is;

I'm experiencing tightness and pain in my upper back near my right scapula. I've been doing MMA for a few weeks now, but I've been bodybuilding and strength/conditioning training for a while. The first couple weeks were fine, but I grabbed a heavy bag and some gear for home training and after a day started experiencing pain in my upper back. I figured it'd go away after a day or two but it's still hanging out back there after anout a week.
The thing is, most fixes for this involve adding rows to the training regimen to strengthen the rhomboids, and I already do a ton of rows on back day with both heavy weight for hypertrophy sets and light weight for endurance/recruitment sets, so I'm fairly certain that's not the issue (although I do have rotator cuff issues on the other side of my body, specifically my supraspinatus, but that's another topic). It seems like most of the people that experience this neglect their back training.

So, is there something I can do to condition my body for this? Is this something that'll go away in time as my body adapts? Any pain relief techniques would also be appreciated. SMR, stretching, massage, and icy hot only provide minimal, momentary relief (a few seconds to 5 minutes) and pot (OR resident) helps but I don't want to be training stoned.

Thanks!

Sounds like a case of weakness to me.

Or aids.

Visit a physio. The reasons could lie in your spinal cord. Ask a doctor instead of sherdoggers.

Or you're using your body in ways you never have before, and now you're sore. No amount of bodybuilding is going to prepare your body for boxing.

I love "I'm sore, please help" threads. Let's have more of these.

Or you're using your body in ways you never have before, and now you're sore. No amount of bodybuilding is going to prepare your body for boxing.
That's what I'm hoping it is

Visit a physio. The reasons could lie in your spinal cord. Ask a doctor instead of sherdoggers.

It's definitely muscular. Just looking for some pain relief, preventetive measures, and other advice.

I love "I'm sore, please help" threads. Let's have more of these.

I fucking bodybuild. I'm also a personal trainer. Pretty sure I know the difference between muscle soreness from new stresses placed on the body and potential injuries. My lats are sore, my TFL is sore, and my calves are sore, all from doing muay thai and bjj, but this upper back thing is different. I didnt mention the others because that's a normal type of soreness experienced prior to bodily adaptations to stress.

I fucking bodybuild. I'm also a personal trainer.
Whoa, well pardon me.

How about this: Take an Motrin, rub on some Vagicil, get a pedicure, buy yourself some cute high heels and I'm sure you'll be cheered up. Make another thread when you're done so we know you're okay.

Whoa, well pardon me.

How about this: Take an Motrin, rub on some Vagicil, get a pedicure, buy yourself some cute high heels and I'm sure you'll be cheered up. Make another thread when you're done so we know you're okay.

I ask for some quick advice and you feel the need to be a worthless jackass about it. Sorry about your micro cock.

I don't want fucking sympathy, I don't want a fix to general soreness from training. I asked for specific advice and you for some reason felt the need to spew empty bullshit all over the place and insults. Go drink bleach. "Compassionate conservative" my ass.

Dude clearly has no clue.

Thank fuck for the ignore button.

If anyone has any ACTUAL tips, I'd love to hear them.
Prevention, conditioning tips, pain alleviation, all of that good stuff

I ask for some quick advice and you feel the need to be a worthless jackass about it. Sorry about your micro cock.

I don't want fucking sympathy, I don't want a fix to general soreness from training. I asked for specific advice and you for some reason felt the need to spew empty bullshit all over the place and insults. Go drink bleach. "Compassionate conservative" my ass.

Dude clearly has no clue.

Thank fuck for the ignore button.

If anyone has any ACTUAL tips, I'd love to hear them.
Prevention, conditioning tips, pain alleviation, all of that good stuff
Here's an ACTUAL hot tip - the sherdog s&c forum isn't a doctor, dipshit.

lol

Whoa, well pardon me.

Haha, being smashed by Cmart once for posting about injuries it's kinda funny seeing him smash someone else for the same shit. :D

That's what I'm hoping it is

It's definitely muscular. Just looking for some pain relief, preventetive measures, and other advice.

I fucking bodybuild. I'm also a personal trainer. Pretty sure I know the difference between muscle soreness from new stresses placed on the body and potential injuries. My lats are sore, my TFL is sore, and my calves are sore, all from doing muay thai and bjj, but this upper back thing is different. I didnt mention the others because that's a normal type of soreness experienced prior to bodily adaptations to stress.
OK dude, before you get smashed for your post now that you've been smashed for your post maybe you can actually listen to me and go visit a doctor. I've had upper back pain which I could not explain and get rid of for months. When I finally visited a good physio - guess what! - the problem was *bad posture*! Which we managed to fix after a dozen sessions and very specific custom exercises, which I still practice every morning.

And yeah, I also bodybuild and do martial arts, it's been over 10 years since I started - but I'm not better qualified than an actual DOCTOR. So please listen to my advice, get off your personal trainer high horse, stop asking assholes on forums (yeah, we're all assholes) and GO TO A DOCTOR.

Hope you get well soon, cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back