Babylon 5

Joe_Armstrong

Starfleet Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Got my sci Fi on lately and I watched Babylon 5, the 5 seasons and the 6 movies.
I forgot how well played it was, especially Londo Mollari

John Sherdian and Michael Garabaldi are both badasses.
Too bad Garabaldi died IRL. So did Dr Franklin and Andreas Katsulas.

The whole Shadows and Light (Vorlons) was really symbolic.
It was written by J. Michael Straczynski.
This man is an absolute wrting genius.
I heard he dated Lyta Alexander for a while.

The journey Commander Sinclair goes on is unbelivable.

Lyta Alexander and Alfred Bester was a cool plotline as well.
But ofcourse the most epic plot that imo deserved an Emmy was
between G´Kar and Londo.
If you make it through season 1 this is top 3 GOAT Sci Fi

How would you rate the show ?
Imo it really held up through tthe times.
It lost some steam in season 5 but still, season 2-4 are the best.

SNX1op2.gif

DJDh2Qz.gif

Last edited:
I enjoyed the show. One of the better thought out science fiction series. My favorite scene.

My favorite sci-fi show ever.

It's a shame we got it so early, the CGI is terrible.

Fantastic story though, and it was the first epic story arc science fiction series. Some incredible performances.

Haven’t watched it in 20 years, but loved it.

A shame that Crusade got cancelled before it really hit its stride.

Babylon 5 is a big pile of shit!

On a related note, Hawk The Slayer’s rubbish!

I loved it. I wish I can binge it. Where do you watch this? It is a shame they did not continue Crusade, but who knows ST Original series waited a long time for TNG.

I loved it. I wish I can binge it. Where do you watch this? It is a shame they did not continue Crusade, but who knows ST Original series waited a long time for TNG.

If you want to watch online, you have to stream it from sites with questionable ethics lol. There are a few good sites, but you'll need adblock and some pop up blockers. I have everything on DVD, but when I watched it again last year, I streamed it instead, so much more convenient. PM if you need any help.

A shame that Crusade got cancelled before it really hit its stride.
I really started to liked Crusade too, though I'm always a sucker for the techno mages

Regarding the OP. For its lower budget, mish mash of amazing and awful acting, not to mention terrible CGI mixed with brilliant set pieces/costumes, Babylon 5 still manages to be the best sci-fi series ever made, along with DS9. The story is so incredible and intriguing, but you do have to suffer through a wonky first season and some wooden acting from lead protagonist Sinclair.

The payoff is so worth season one's pitfalls though. The world building was unlike anything I had ever seen in a tv series, until Game Of Thrones and the Expanse. Before it takes you into its fantastical realm, it grounds you in its relatable universe, then it fucking cracks you over the head with wonder and amazement lol. That shadow war, and the Vorlon Mystique is perfectly built up, incredible stuff

There's so much to like about this show and its films. This foreshadowing scene with Kosh and Sheridan, becomes really poignant shortly after

G'Kar and Londo had amazing chemistry on scene too. I hated Londo at first, thought he was ridiculous, but god damn he won me over, G'Kar too

I can't wait for another 10 years when I forget much and can binge it all again!

Last edited:
If you want to watch online, you have to stream it from sites with questionable ethics lol. There are a few good sites, but you'll need adblock and some pop up blockers. I have everything on DVD, but when I watched it again last year, I streamed it instead, so much more convenient. PM if you need any help.

I really started to liked Crusade too, though I'm always a sucker for the techno mages

Regarding the OP. For its lower budget, mish mash of amazing and awful acting, not to mention terrible CGI mixed with brilliant set pieces/costumes, Babylon 5 still manages to be the best sci-fi series ever made, along with DS9. The story is so incredible and intriguing, but you do have to suffer through a wonky first season and some wooden acting from lead protagonist Sinclair.

The payoff is so worth season one's pitfalls though. The world building was unlike anything I had ever seen in a tv series, until Game Of Thrones and the Expanse. Before it takes you into its fantastical realm, it grounds you in its relatable universe, then it fucking cracks you over the head with wonder and amazement lol. That shadow war, and the Vorlon Mystique is perfectly built up, incredible stuff

There's so much to like about this show and its films. This foreshadowing scene with Kosh and Sheridan, becomes really poignant shortly after

G'Kar and Londo had amazing chemistry on scene too. I hated Londo at first, thought he was ridiculous, but god damn he won me over, G'Kar too

I can't wait for another 10 years when I forget much and can binge it all again!

G'Kar and Londo were the best thing about this show. One of my favorite relationships from any show.

Last edited:
Deep Space 9 >>>>>>>>> Babylon 5

Deep Space 9 >>>>>>>>> Babylon 5

I agree, Deep Space Nine is pretty underrated.

They were both excellent shows.

You know, I think it's time I watched them both again.

I remember Londo saying his figure didn't have any 'attributes'
when they opened up a gift shop at the Zocolo.

I looked on the net if the story continues where the show ended.
Sheridan's son David fights the Drakh who had a keeper on Londo and the Regent
There are a lot of books I think, but I don't know if they're canon.

OnxOIv1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, Deep Space Nine is pretty underrated.

They were both excellent shows.

You know, I think it's time I watched them both again.

Certainly had its strenghts although its pretty widely acknowledged that Deep Space 9 was ripped off from Babylon 5, Straczynski tried to sell the concept to Paramount who turned it down and then mysteriously came up with a near identical idea soon afterwards.

Generally I think it suffered a little from lack of planning relative to Babylon 5, took along time to get going and then wasn't entirely satisfying in the climax IMHO. It doesn't get mentioned much now but I think a good case that Straczynski was actually the father of serious extended arcs on TV, other shows had hints of it but you could tell often they didn't really know where they were going.

Certainly had its strenghts although its pretty widely acknowledged that Deep Space 9 was ripped off from Babylon 5, Straczynski tried to sell the concept to Paramount who turned it down and then mysteriously came up with a near identical idea soon afterwards.

Generally I think it suffered a little from lack of planning relative to Babylon 5, took along time to get going and then wasn't entirely satisfying in the climax IMHO. It doesn't get mentioned much now but I think a good case that Straczynski was actually the father of serious extended arcs on TV, other shows had hints of it but you could tell often they didn't really know where they were going.

Straczynski was the king of plagiarism. There used to be websites that went into extraordinary detail describing where he stole his ideas from, most egregiously, all his ship designs. His funniest theft was (and it was SO obvious it can be argued it was an homage) Sheridan dying in Z'ha'dum and coming back as Gandalf Sheridan the White.

I did love that show.

G'Kar/Londo interaction was the best thing about the show.

I think this is the best SciFi show to date. Perhaps the Expanse will surpass it eventually, but that's still not done, and I can't think of another SciFi show with that kind of great story arcs. I definitely consider it above the Star Trek shows/movies, and above Battlestar Galactica (which I guess is the other SciFi show with a grand story arc).

Straczynski was the king of plagiarism. There used to be websites that went into extraordinary detail describing where he stole his ideas from, most egregiously, all his ship designs. His funniest theft was (and it was SO obvious it can be argued it was an homage) Sheridan dying in Z'ha'dum and coming back as Gandalf Sheridan the White.

The name Z'ha'dum was obviously a play on Khazad dum, the original dwarvish name for Moria in Tolkiens writtings as well. Certainly I wouldnt call him a visionary in terms of radically different ideas, he was definitely a magpie but combining his influences into a more original whole rather than directly lifting them wholesale as Deep Space 9 obviously did. Not to be too negative of the latter, I certainly enjoyed it a lot as well and it did evolve in some interesting directions although again I think it was rather held back by a lack of planning, something Ron D Moore also suffered from with Battlestar Galatica.

Nothings come of it as yet but there was actually some talk of a Babylon 5 film a couple of years ago, I think due to Warners only having the TV rights? does naturally seem like something more suited for TV though.

The name Z'ha'dum was obviously a play on Khazad dum, the original dwarvish name for Moria in Tolkiens writtings as well.

Well, yeah. :) That's why I included the name.

I think on the whole, B5 was better but labored under some truly bad special effects and most of the acting wasn't nearly as good (some of it was transcendent).

I would definitely consider Staczynski the Godfather of story arcs for TV. Twin Peaks had me on the edge of my seat for a bit, but you can tell by season 2 that they didn't have things quite as planned out. DS9 is a close second, while being better overall in many ways. That Dominon War was awesome, but what made it great was the vast cast of characters and consistent better acting

Babylon 5 had some terrible acting, but it benefited from stellar planning. Straczynski had contingencies for nearly everything. Most of the plotlines had huge emotional payoffs. I was cheering out loud at times like a giant dork lol

Londo fucking over the Shadows comes to mind. That was so epic!

"Ahhhh Mr Morden" :D

Somehow I didn't like Delenn.
In her nightgown and Kroation accent running the galaxy.

Mr Morden was full of intrigue.

And I realized only later that Zack Allen was played by Jeff Conway.
Who went total junkie and died. He played Zack well.
Makes you wonder if he was partying after shooting the show at night.

The scene where Sherdian visits B5 for the last time.
It is Staczynski playing the mechanic who pulls the switch to deactivate the station.

Back