Averaging 6 hours of sleep...and feeling GREAT

I've been low carb for most of the year but really strict this last month only allowing 3 cheat meals total. I feel great and along with BJJ and lifting twice a week my body fat has dropped tremendously. Right now I'm hovering around 12% but hope to be lower -- exactly where I'm not sure -- come summer time.

Energy or hunger pangs aren't a problem for me. The worst is adapting my life style to fit in with everyone in social settings. While everyone is eating pizza I have to find things that are Primal/Paleo. When people are getting blitzed I order a diet coke.

Oblivian are you really 5'9"? I always picture you as a giant for some reason.

Oblivian are you really 5'9"? I always picture you as a giant for some reason.

There is a possibility that I may be 5'8". I haven't been to the doctor for a long time, so I don't know. If I remember right, I may be 5'9" with shoes and 5'8" without. Giant? You must not remember me cutting down to 155 lbs this year.

ever since dropping direct sources of carbs, i woke up earlier than usual, and when i woke up it seems im good to go and no sluggishness like that in the morning

ever since dropping direct sources of carbs, i woke up earlier than usual, and when i woke up it seems im good to go and no sluggishness like that in the morning

That is something else I forgot to mention. When I wake up I am fully alert and ready to do whatever. I've never been a morning person.

I learned that my body likes good carbs such as oats for breakfast/pre workout since I workout in the a.m. I tend to taper off my carbs as my day goes on and my last meal is usually meat+veggies.

I find that it is easier to eat carbs early around my workout and taper them off as the day goes on than it is to do low carb all day.

I also wake up early feeling ready to go and my sleep is around 6-7 hrs average.

The answer to the question is insulin response. Being as insulin is the primary hormone involved in the function of fattening up for winter, it's also an energy regulation hormone. It can act for stored energy in the body like a freeze works on your bank account where you can put money in, but much won't come out. This is one of the primary things behind why obese people tend to be tired, and why diabetic comas happen. Insulin prepares you for hibernation, makes you sleepy. This is also the real reason there's the occurrence of people passing out after Thanksgiving dinners, it's not the trace amounts of tryptophan in the turkey, but the 700g of carbs we just ate.

So on the flipside, when insulin sensitivity is restored, all of the other hormones flow and function better. Particularly the adrenals. This is why even in studies based on starvation, when people's blood-glucose got low and they went into ketosis by default, they were more energetic with less food coming in. They weren't defying the laws of thermodynamics as some would suggest, the stored fat was being tapped for energy and the machine was becoming more efficient at fuel regulation, while the fuel supply lasts.

If you think about it, the lower blood-glucose goes (and insulin goes), as a triggering mechanism to invoke storage (hunger) and energy conservation (sleep), the less it's being secreted, the less you'll feel both. Meanwhile fat provides for better hormone production all-around, including the adrenals. So yes, to feel more energetic, want to sleep less, and feel less hungry is plausible. But it must be noted that it isn't a natural biorhythm to live this way all year. Less sleep is over all a very unhealthy thing because it doesn't allow the body time enough to get into the cycles that restore immune system health to full function.

^ Interesting post. Thanks.

During school I only get 6 hours of sleep, and I feel terrible, weak, and no energy at all

It's christmas holidays right now, and I'm averaging atleast 10 hours of sleep a day. I feel like I'm on top of the world!! I've gained 3-4 ibs, and I feel full of energy

During school I only get 6 hours of sleep, and I feel terrible, weak, and no energy at all

It's christmas holidays right now, and I'm averaging atleast 10 hours of sleep a day. I feel like I'm on top of the world!! I've gained 3-4 ibs, and I feel full of energy

That is the Christmas dinner bud ;)

Personally I find the more hours I sleep the grogier I feel, no matter what my diet is, so I tend to stick around the 6 hour mark (on avg) and try and catch 2 hours in the afternoon before work out & work.
A lot of my friends think it's weird and un-natural to have a snooze in the afternoon but I love it I'm a firm believer in it but it's each to their own, it is how your body adapts to it.

Back