Economy Autoworkers Strike

$110 an hour to stand on an assembly line and put 4 bolts into a headlight every minute is insane. We don't get paid that kind of money to repair those cars when they come into the shop mangled after a wreck.

You pay these people $110 an hour and no one will be able to afford to buy a new car and they'll be out of a job.

$110 an hour to stand on an assembly line and put 4 bolts into a headlight every minute is insane. We don't get paid that kind of money to repair those cars when they come into the shop mangled after a wreck.

You pay these people $110 an hour and no one will be able to afford to buy a new car and they'll be out of a job.

Sorry that is what it would cost the automakers per employee, not what the employees would make. My fault for not making that clear, it cost Tesla 42$ some per employee and after the strike it could cost the big 3 110$ per employee. So no way the big they agree to that when Tesla their biggest competitor runs at 42$ an hr

The labor cost gap between the Detroit 3 and Tesla is already staggering. Tesla spends about $45 an hour on labor (this cost combines hourly wages and benefits), while Ford, GM, and Stellantis are currently spending about $66 an hour on their labor, according to industry analysts.

If the UAW gets its way on pay increases and things like reviving pensions, Wells Fargo has estimated that the Detroit 3's hourly labor costs could more than double to $136 an hour.

https://www.businessinsider.com/uaw...-gm-ford-stellantis-labor-hourly-wages-2023-9

Will these factories be shipped to southern states or countries to our south?

No one is getting paid $110 an hour for doing that.

Preach.
The “privatize the gains, but socialize the losses” model can only go on for so long before there’s hell to pay.

Auto companies beg tax payers to bail them out. Then 75% of all non-financial corporate profits went to stock buybacks in the decade after the automaker bailout. I have no sympathy for these corporations.

Sorry that is what it would cost the automakers per employee, not what the employees would make. My fault for not making that clear, it cost Tesla 42$ some per employee and after the strike it could cost the big 3 110$ per employee. So no way the big they agree to that when Tesla their biggest competitor runs at 42$ an hr
But Tesla doesn’t have a union problem and has unlocked production efficiencies the slow 3 havent

The union has rejected a 20% pay increase offered by the companies and instead want to prevent people who own cars from those companies being able to get parts for repairs until they have to raise the cost of the cars significantly with 40% pay increases and 3 day weekends every week?

I'm fine with requesting reasonable pay increases periodically, but that's a little ridiculous to screw over people who already own the cars over a demand that will screw over anyone who buys them in the future. The quality just isn't there to justify these expenses.

The strike will fall right after the writers strike fails next month..

UAW wanted the 40% increase the CEO got and that was a no go(still as hilarious as it was ballsy). If they get what they want (UAW) no one in the country will be able to afford an automobile. Car Manufacturers are already having trouble selling their inventory of both new and used automobiles at current prices.

You should assume all large unions are infiltrated, all they have to do is control the leadership. In Canada recently a minister said that soon there needed to be half as many cars on the streets to combat "climate change", read: to implement Agenda 2030. In Canada they're a lot more open about their plans because they figure we're retarded enough to think they're a good idea. Under Agenda 2030 the idea is to essentially eliminate individual car ownership for everyone except the very rich and for the ordinary person to eventually only have access to corporate fleets of self-driving cars available for rent, who can only go to predetermined routes inside a smart city. Silicon Valley titans invested in a company called KoBold Metals, and they say all of the world's reserves of cobalt, lithium and nickel need to be mined out for the "EV revolution" to take place. However even if they mine out all the reserves we know exist, it still won't be enough to equal the number of cars in circulation today. A lot of people aren't going to have cars at all, it's really that simple. For this scam to occur, you need to perceive that the prices of cars and the unavailibility of cars is simply the result of a series of unfortunate events and coincidences, including apparently retarded autoworkers completely stopping production. If you look at the price of petrol and car prices now, does it not look to you like the plan is well underway? Because it is. Ah, but you didn't think anything of it because you thought it was the result of a series of banal coincidences. That's how it works.

UAW wanted the 40% increase the CEO got and that was a no go(still as hilarious as it was ballsy). If they get what they want (UAW) no one in the country will be able to afford an automobile. Car Manufacturers are already having trouble selling their inventory of both new and used automobiles at current prices.
Yeah, it's a pretty crazy demand. Even if the CEO pay did increase 40%, which it didn't really because like half of it is stock awards that fluctuate, but let's pretend it did and the CEO got a $20 million salary. The companies have like 40,000-50,000 workers, so even paying the CEO nothing at all, and taking their entire compensation with stocks included and spread it out to all the employees, that would come out to like $450 for the entire year for each of them, and their demand is more like a $30,000 increase for each of them.

I’m in the thick of it here in Detroit. I sell to the automotive OEMs and Tiers and these protests and strikes impact my bottom line a bit. The companies are reluctant to cut large POs because of all the uncertainty.

Having said that, I support the workers’ right to strike and I hope they can meet somewhere in the middle (their initial demands are ludicrous).

I think it’s one of the only—if not the only—time I support something that actually negatively impacts me personally.

The MSRP on most cars right now is way over the top......but the dealer markups and "market adjustments" are driving the prices through the roof. The big 3 are fucked if UAW get their way in terms of pay and the dealerships keep employing predatory tactics to juice the price of the cars that hit their lots. And we haven't talked about interest rates yet on auto loans.

Every Stellantis(Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler/Ram) lot in my area is completely full. And most of the cars on their lots are last year's model too. No one in their right mind would pay 85k for a Jeep that includes 20k in bullshit add-ons especially considering the trash build quality and reliability. This doesn't feel like a real strike. Feels like a coordinated way to move inventory since everything is so backed up for the domestic 3.

Plenty of cars for sale, we just can't afford them. Housing in a lot of markets is the same way.

American automakers stocks are in the shitter apparently. The next decade will be awful for the big three.

Back