Australia-Books and toys could be banned from schools based on Gender

esotamoc

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I cant believe this is Australian councils are actually considering banning books from libraries and schools based on gender stereotypes. I regret my vote for the greens a few years ago.

"Winnie-the-Pooh books, Barbie dolls, and superhero play are among things children could be banned from schools after a radical study on 'gender stereotyping'.

A number of Victorian councils will respond to the study by Australian National University, which found educators should avoid using the terms 'boy' and 'girl' and classifying children according to gender. "

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/lifestyle...assrooms-gender-neutral/ar-AAxyzxh?li=BBqdb1S

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...s/news-story/ffeeb0c76090f2461e9babc895e7da61

I told you people.....They are gonna eliminate gender, not have a billion genders.....

It's gonna start with kids things first.....expect department stores to just have kid sections, no longer girls/boys.

I told you people.....They are gonna eliminate gender, not have a billion genders.....

It's gonna start with kids things first.....expect department stores to just have kid sections, no longer girls/boys.
A year or so ago I went shopping for sneakers for my 6 year old son. he selected a pair that were girls - i think pale blue or something but i told him they were girls shoes so to choose another pair. the multi colour hair patronising sales assistant was bossily insisting that I let him have the girls pair, but I honestly couldnt give a shit what colour they were but I know my son is a sporty kid and once he learns that he has girls shoes he wont wear them and it will be time and money wasted. I wish these types would just fuck off and worry about their own children

What would drive someone to vote for the greens in the first place? Thry are legitimately insane.

fake news from terrible news sources

Despite Reports, Iconic Kids Books Aren't Being Banned From Melbourne Libraries

Reports are untrue.

Explosive reports in the Herald Sun this morning suggest councils are “auditing libraries”. But the city's libraries say they aren't.

“Under the new guidelines, children’s favourites including Thomas the Tank Engine, Noddy and Winnie the Pooh could be banned for not meeting gender tests,” the newspaper reports.

A spokesperson for the City of Melbourne says this simply isn’t true – and all those titles mentioned are still, and will remain in the city’s libraries.

“Our libraries aim to promote diversity, not censor books. None of the books mentioned in media reports have been banned. The books mentioned are in stock at City Library,” a City of Melbourne spokesperson said.

They explained in 2016 the council commissioned Australian National University’s Centre for Social Research to undertake a study into the development of gender bias, roles and stereotypes in pre-school children.

Instead of banning books, the council said they will be working with a community agency to develop tools and resources for parents and early childhood educators to improve the understanding of the importance of respect and equity between genders.

Lord Mayor rubbishes idea of council ban on kid’s books
The new Lord Mayor Sally Capp says there will be not be a ban on certain children’s books.

Research has shown children as young as three can be influenced by gender stereo-types in books.

There’s a suggestion childhood favourites such as Noddy and Thomas the Tank Engine could be removed from shelves, if they fail to meet gender targets after an audit of libraries.

In her first in-studio interview as Lord Mayor-elect, Counciller Capp immediately shut down the idea.

Neil: Do we need an audit for gender equality in books?

Ms Capp: No.

“Books are absolutely vital in the world that we live in and books often reflect the values and ideas of the way society worked at a particular time,” she said.

“And if after decades we don’t agree then the good thing is those books actually give us a chance to have a discussion with our kids.”

fake news from terrible news sources

Despite Reports, Iconic Kids Books Aren't Being Banned From Melbourne Libraries

Reports are untrue.

Explosive reports in the Herald Sun this morning suggest councils are “auditing libraries”. But the city's libraries say they aren't.

“Under the new guidelines, children’s favourites including Thomas the Tank Engine, Noddy and Winnie the Pooh could be banned for not meeting gender tests,” the newspaper reports.

A spokesperson for the City of Melbourne says this simply isn’t true – and all those titles mentioned are still, and will remain in the city’s libraries.

“Our libraries aim to promote diversity, not censor books. None of the books mentioned in media reports have been banned. The books mentioned are in stock at City Library,” a City of Melbourne spokesperson said.

They explained in 2016 the council commissioned Australian National University’s Centre for Social Research to undertake a study into the development of gender bias, roles and stereotypes in pre-school children.

Instead of banning books, the council said they will be working with a community agency to develop tools and resources for parents and early childhood educators to improve the understanding of the importance of respect and equity between genders.

Lord Mayor rubbishes idea of council ban on kid’s books
The new Lord Mayor Sally Capp says there will be not be a ban on certain children’s books.

Research has shown children as young as three can be influenced by gender stereo-types in books.

There’s a suggestion childhood favourites such as Noddy and Thomas the Tank Engine could be removed from shelves, if they fail to meet gender targets after an audit of libraries.

In her first in-studio interview as Lord Mayor-elect, Counciller Capp immediately shut down the idea.

Neil: Do we need an audit for gender equality in books?

Ms Capp: No.

“Books are absolutely vital in the world that we live in and books often reflect the values and ideas of the way society worked at a particular time,” she said.

“And if after decades we don’t agree then the good thing is those books actually give us a chance to have a discussion with our kids.”

If this is a false report - I am relieved. However, though less cause for alarm, I do find this part troubling "Instead of banning books, the council said they will be working with a community agency to develop tools and resources for parents and early childhood educators to improve the understanding of the importance of respect and equity between genders."

If this is a false report - I am relieved. However, though less cause for alarm, I do find this part troubling "Instead of banning books, the council said they will be working with a community agency to develop tools and resources for parents and early childhood educators to improve the understanding of the importance of respect and equity between genders."

yeah fuck respect, schools shouldn't teach that

(on a serious note I do think the fringe left has gone too far, this is just not an example of it)

yeah fuck respect, schools shouldn't teach that

(on a serious note I do think the fringe left has gone too far, this is just not an example of it)
I dont want a social engineering experiment on my kids. Kids naturally gravitate to what they like. What about just respect and equality between all children period.

A year or so ago I went shopping for sneakers for my 6 year old son. he selected a pair that were girls - i think pale blue or something but i told him they were girls shoes so to choose another pair. the multi colour hair patronising sales assistant was bossily insisting that I let him have the girls pair, but I honestly couldnt give a shit what colour they were but I know my son is a sporty kid and once he learns that he has girls shoes he wont wear them and it will be time and money wasted. I wish these types would just fuck off and worry about their own children
Most of those gender indeterminate types don't have kids.

People who have kids recognize that differences between male and female emerge early in childhood.

I dont want a social engineering experiment on my kids. Kids naturally gravitate to what they like. What about just respect and equality between all children period.

I'm pretty sure in schools in the US you would teach about slavery and the effect it had on African Americans. This would be teaching respect and equality for ethnicities. I doubt you have a problem with that?

Is it wrong to teach about the hardship that people suffer for their born sense of sexuality? They have no choice in the matter. This would be teaching respect and equality for genders and sexuality. I don't understand how this is now social engineering when that is literally what growing up is all about.

I dont want a social engineering experiment on my kids.

Already happening, and has always happened.

What about just respect and equality between all children period.

That's exactly the point. You're trying to make up a problem where there is none cause you made a thread based on false information.

I'm pretty sure in schools in the US you would teach about slavery and the effect it had on African Americans. This would be teaching respect and equality for ethnicities. I doubt you have a problem with that?

Is it wrong to teach about the hardship that people suffer for their born sense of sexuality? They have no choice in the matter. This would be teaching respect and equality for genders and sexuality. I don't understand how this is now social engineering when that is literally what growing up is all about.
Dont be naive or disingenuous. These is no urgent need in kindergarten and elementary school to have any institutional lessons about sexuality and genders. Save that for when they go through puberty. The current loony left are after social engineering and will push as far as they can get away with to reshape society to suit their fantasies.

Dont be naive or disingenuous. These is no urgent need in kindergarten and elementary school to have any institutional lessons about sexuality and genders. Save that for when they go through puberty. The current loony left are after social engineering and will push as far as they can get away with to reshape society to suit their fantasies.

It's only you who are misrepresenting my argument to strawman me. Show where I said this should be happening in kindergarten, I'll wait.

I'm glad that you agree that when they go through puberty it's a good idea because that's the same fucking thing I think.

It's only you who are misrepresenting my argument to strawman me. Show where I said this should be happening in kindergarten, I'll wait.

I'm glad that you agree that when they go through puberty it's a good idea because that's the same fucking thing I think.
I dont know what your position is but there is a push to neutralise gender binaries in children. I jumped the gun on this report but it was discussed on one of our major network's morning news program
with some gues pushing the censorship of books as a good idea. discussing sexuality is healthy and normal for kids around puberty but their is a push against what is being labelled as 'hetronormativity'
as if there is something wrong with being normal. Lgbt alphabet soup people can have as much support as they need while not pushing their version of reality on the rest of us.

Expiramenting with social engineering. I wish I had a trillion dollars so I could sit at the club with the other lucked into money idiots and talk about ways to steer society.

Oh yes this is worth getting upset about.

The end in nigh.

If talking about sensible things like letting Boys play with dolls and girls play with trucks, it's fine (although some would probably object).

Personally I think that if they link to boys acting like boys as purely a result of social conditioning, maybe we should allow children to develop as they choose. That said I have a 2 year old son and a 2 year old niece and watching their toy selection and use tells me this is ingrained not forced upon them.

Both love the toy doll stroller, she puts dolly in and wheels her about, he throws the doll and then charges up and down the hall as fast as possible with the stroller.

I think I see what happened to @HIMBOB.

I feel this is meant to be insulting, but is nothing more than confusing.

Personally I think that if they link to boys acting like boys as purely a result of social conditioning, maybe we should allow children to develop as they choose. That said I have a 2 year old son and a 2 year old niece and watching their toy selection and use tells me this is ingrained not forced upon them.

Both love the toy doll stroller, she puts dolly in and wheels her about, he throws the doll and then charges up and down the hall as fast as possible with the stroller.
Basically this. I feel like "both sides" are obsessed with their kids gender/sex expression. One side is looking very hard for their kids to have any sign they are "transgender" because they like short hair (if it's a girl) or the boy likes to play with dolls, the other side is obsessed with their kids having "normal" preference.

Instead of just letting kids be kids and not worry about whether or not they like pink or play soccer or whatever. Since it's entirely unimportant.

Can't allow people to have anything to hold onto, which might define their existence. No religion, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, nothing. Nothing other than what we tell you.

You must be made to think that you're a guest in your own home. Your own body, even.

Any semblance of security in your self, must be ripped apart with bare hands, and replaced by existential despair, a sense of apathy and nothingness.

Then we'll wonder about why you get more suicidal, depressed and incapable to fulfill even the most basic human functions (such as reproduction), as the generations pass on.

Last edited:
Back