ATOMIC HEART: BioShock-like game set to release February 21, 2023

Man, this one is all over the place it seems like. Some absolutely praising the game while others not that big of a fan.

So far we're seeing 75 on MetaCritic and 72 on OpenCritic. OpenCritic seems to have the better game reviews as it takes into consideration prominent YT reviewers.

Uploaded 2 minutes ago.

You're welcome.

Damn. I was really looking forward to that one. Will still play if it sticks around on Gamepass long enough for me to get to, but given the feedback doesn’t sound like it warrants prioritizing, in which case it will probably leave Gamepass by the time I am ready to play.

Havent been on Sherdog in a long while.

Around 30 mins in....and I like it. The intro portion is gorgeous but it isnt really as interactable as youd expect. Its really jawdropping and runs good so far, few stutters here or there. But man I thought this game was vaporware. I remember back 2016 seeing some trailers and thinking its gorgeous but fake. They delivered with the visuals imo.

According to your recent posts... 'a long while' is three weeks. :D

Welcome back jojo.
Oh thats a long while for me, especially since Im always on Sherdog.

As for the game, play it guys. This shit is really damn good. So far it feels more like Prey 2017/Bioshock/Fallout hybrid, but without the immersive sim aspect and interactivity. Its really engaging so far.

So far it feels more like Prey 2017/Bioshock/Fallout hybrid
That's exactly how I'd describe it as well! I'm getting strong Prey 2017 vibes from it, and it's very clearly inspired by BioShock (right down to the first ability you get, which is essentially a ripoff of the Electro Bolt plasmid). Then on top of that, you've got loads of of cartoons/animations that are very reminiscent of Fallout (complete with a recurring Vault Boy-like kid).

It feels a bit janky overall, but it's obvious a ton of work went into it. Considering just how many doubters there were, and the fact that many questioned whether it was even a "real" game at one point, it's a stunning accomplishment IMO. The opening scenes were also amazing, and brought back memories of BioShock Infinite.

It's one of those games that almost seems like if it were made by a larger, more experienced studio (and perhaps with a bigger budget), it'd go down as an all-time great.

As for the game, play it guys. This shit is really damn good. So far it feels more like Prey 2017/Bioshock/Fallout hybrid, but without the immersive sim aspect and interactivity. Its really engaging so far.

I usually only see you in the vids forum, so it looked like a while, welcome back!

That's exactly how I'd describe it as well! I'm getting strong Prey 2017 vibes from it, and it's very clearly inspired by BioShock (right down to the first ability you get, which is essentially a ripoff of the Electro Bolt plasmid). Then on top of that, you've got loads of of cartoons/animations that are very reminiscent of Fallout (complete with a recurring Vault Boy-like kid).

It feels a bit janky overall, but it's obvious a ton of work went into it. Considering just how many doubters there were, and the fact that many questioned whether it was even a "real" game at one point, it's a stunning accomplishment IMO. The opening scenes were also amazing, and brought back memories of BioShock Infinite.

It's one of those games that almost seems like if it were made by a larger, more experienced studio (and perhaps with a bigger budget), it'd go down as an all-time great.

Agreed guys, getting a total Bioshock vibe, aesthetically. I've seen a few easter eggs, but my fav is the first, the 0451 code NPC's discuss. It's in a lot of games, especially every immersive sim. It was the studio code for Looking Glass Studios, the originators of immersive sim (I believe). Sadly, this is even less of an IM so far, but here's hoping. It's my fav genre.

I had mid expectations for this, at best, but I'm loving my first couple of hours. That opening sequence towards first combat is pretty incredible, not one loading screen either. I think they hid a loading time once you go into the clouds, but that's the way to do it if so. From Soft are masters of that.

The only things I found annoying so far (pc) is the dodge mechanic, saving, screen tearing and the terrible FOV. I found workarounds for all but saving.

I switched space bar to dodge, really helps timing dodges and attacks.

I'd really like a manual or quick save. There's so much loot to grab, that one sloppy death can lead to monotonous loot grabbing. If there's no manual save, I'd rather we respawn with the items we collected, like Bioshock did.

Vsync isn't working for me either, can't turn it on. Because it's gamepass (exe protected), I can't force it through Nvidia settings, though I see you can for AMD users. Turning off DLSS helps with screen tearing.

For FOV, flawless widescreen works...flawlessly.

This game is money!

Last edited:

So. Those games but without their best elements. Got it.

Fully agreed.
I usually only see you in the vids forum, so it looked like a while, welcome back!

Agreed guys, getting a total Bioshock vibe, aesthetically. I've seen a few easter eggs, but my fav is the first, the 0451 code NPC's discuss. It's in a lot of games, especially every immersive sim. It was the studio code for Looking Glass Studios, the originators of immersive sim (I believe). Sadly, this is even less of an IM so far, but here's hoping. It's my fav genre.

I had mid expectations for this, at best, but I'm loving my first couple of hours. That opening sequence towards first combat is pretty incredible, not one loading screen either. I think they hid a loading time once you go into the clouds, but that's the way to do it if so. From Soft are masters of that.

The only things I found annoying so far (pc) is the dodge mechanic, saving, screen tearing and the terrible FOV. I found workarounds for all but saving.

I switched space bar to dodge, really helps timing dodges and attacks.

I'd really like a manual or quick save. There's so much loot to grab, that one sloppy death can lead to monotonous loot grabbing. If there's no manual save, I'd rather we respawn with the items we collected, like Bioshock did.

Vsync isn't working for me either, can't turn it on. Because it's gamepass (exe protected), I can't force it through Nvidia settings, though I see you can for AMD users. Turning off DLSS helps with screen tearing.

For FOV, flawless widescreen works...flawlessly.

This game is money!

Glad to see you Gteh, its been a while :)

Outside of issues youve mentioned, the game runs fantastically well and is one of the better looking games out. The amount of detail in everything from the textures to the room designs are amazing. I had screen tearing but fixed with capping the fps. Im sure theyll patch those things in but Im really enjoying the game so far.

Only issue is the amount of arbitrary requirements there are to progress. Go here, get 4 canisters, go there get another canister etc, but the game is good so I can forgo those issues. Apparently the first few hours are the worst part of the game but Im really liking it, so Im sure the supposedly good parts are gonna be awesome!!

So. Those games but without their best elements. Got it.
More like inspired and influenced. But it does some unique stuff.

The collecting is amazing in this game. Item management too. Honestly its real good. I wish it was an immersive sim but its still great.

Fully agreed.

Glad to see you Gteh, its been a while :)

Outside of issues youve mentioned, the game runs fantastically well and is one of the better looking games out. The amount of detail in everything from the textures to the room designs are amazing. I had screen tearing but fixed with capping the fps. Im sure theyll patch those things in but Im really enjoying the game so far.

Only issue is the amount of arbitrary requirements there are to progress. Go here, get 4 canisters, go there get another canister etc, but the game is good so I can forgo those issues. Apparently the first few hours are the worst part of the game but Im really liking it, so Im sure the supposedly good parts are gonna be awesome!!

More like inspired and influenced. But it does some unique stuff.

The collecting is amazing in this game. Item management too. Honestly its real good. I wish it was an immersive sim but its still great.
Ditto man!

Yeah, I tapped out not long after having to power up the tree with four canisters (was time to shut it down anyway). The protag makes a joke about another fetch quest, so the devs were aware of how we'd feel. It does take you to cool areas though.

They could have given us a better reason to get them (some story beat), and more importantly, more ways (immersive sim style) to get those canisters. I wonder if they initially planned this as an IM but pulled back, as the levels look ripe for more ways to traverse them with the climb mechanic.

Regardless, if this is the worse the game gets, we're in for a good ride. Like you said, there's so much attention to detail everywhere, the passion from the devs is always apparent.
surprise-to-be.gif

Ditto man!

Yeah, I tapped out not long after having to power up the tree with four canisters (was time to shut it down anyway). The protag makes a joke about another fetch quest, so the devs were aware of how we'd feel. It does take you to cool areas though.

They could have given us a better reason to get them (some story beat), and more importantly, more ways (immersive sim style) to get those canisters. I wonder if they initially planned this as an IM but pulled back, as the levels look ripe for more ways to traverse them with the climb mechanic.

Regardless, if this is the worse the game gets, we're in for a good ride. Like you said, there's so much attention to detail everywhere, the passion from the devs is always apparent.
surprise-to-be.gif
The levels were designed with multiple ways to tackle em. Im sure it was meant to be more immersive sim than FPS, but got scaled back.

Hell Im loving the environemental story telling, and reading the PC messages etc feels like Deus Ex. Man Im shocked this game is as good as it is so far, I really thought this was vaporware for the longest time. The textures are sooooo fucking good.

Guys be careful. I lost a 4h save, I thought the game was saving but it damn wasnt. Seems to be a common issue with PC Gamepass version.

Have a look at your save list and occasionally restart, otherwise youre gonna be like me. I like the game enough to redo that portion, but I dropped games for less.

Guys be careful. I lost a 4h save, I thought the game was saving but it damn wasnt. Seems to be a common issue with PC Gamepass version.

Have a look at your save list and occasionally restart, otherwise youre gonna be like me. I like the game enough to redo that portion, but I dropped games for less.
Were you saving at the red box on top of relying on auto saves, or just the latter?

I can't wait to fire this up later tonigth!

Were you saving at the red box on top of relying on auto saves, or just the latter?

I can't wait to fire this up later tonigth!
I was doing both, and now just crashed again :(

Hopefully I didnt lose too much data.

I was doing both, and now just crashed again :(

Hopefully I didnt lose too much data.
Did you use flawless widescreen?

I forgot to mention earlier that I was getting a lot of crashes from it. Once I stopped using it, the game didn't crash again, but i'm still early.

I am looking forward to playing this; not at the top of my list for anticipated games releasing this year, but it is there. Will probably play this after RE4 remake/Star Wars as there aren't many big releases for a while after

I forgot to mention earlier that I was getting a lot of crashes from it. Once I stopped using it, the game didn't crash again, but i'm still early.
Hey, just a heads up: I was in the same situation, and the fix was to simply disable the "Scanning Fix" in Flawless Widescreen.

Hey, just a heads up: I was in the same situation, and the fix was to simply disable the "Scanning Fix" in Flawless Widescreen.
Thanks man, I'll give that a shot. I really hate the FOV. A slider should always be including in FPS games.

Nope, on default. It doesnt really bother me too much and Im also using a controller. The controls are good imo.

FOV is gonna be in their next update.

Back