Atlanta BJJ

Anywhere cheaper than $100 probably isn't a very credible BJJ school, most tend to charge higher but you might be able to find a not-every-day place with about that rate. I, for one, second the Judo club angle. You'll get great stand-up work for a lower price while you get yourself established and save some money for a really quality BJJ school.

You have to remember too, gyms fit personalities, and no two are alike. No one can argue that Alliance is the #1 quality choice in Atlanta. At the same time, their workouts are very intense and might not be the right choice for someone who wants fun after work--it's serious business. Or there might be a gym that's $80 with a good black belt, but you're wanting a stronger presence rather than guys just joking around.

The bottom line is, you have to try the gyms out and then think about price. See if you can cut out any little expenses, I became the master of scrounging. Pack lunches instead of buying food at work; say no to starbucks and buy only local grocery store brand items (when quality equivalent). I sold my tv, cut out most of my dining out, buy everyday clothes from consignment stores (although I really don't buy since I get free tournament Tshirts allllll theeee tiiiimmme), coupons out the ass...etc. That extra 20-50 bucks pops up out of no where, and that will free you up to pick your gym by quality and not price.

This right here

I wouldn't go knuckle up just because of their shady business practice. I'm a former member and they closed my gym and then gave my contract away to another gym. I tried canceling my contract because I did not sign up at this other place, but they avoid you like the plague. Don't sign anything that knuckle up has.

My name is CJ, I am the new owner of the KnuckleUp Locations in Sandy Springs and Alpharetta and I wanted to chime in here and set the record straight.

The KnuckleUp locations that closed didn't do so because they wanted to, the were forced out of business by a financial institution named Duvera Financial. The old owners owed them money and they took all of the contracted members from all those locations and relocated them to other gyms and forced them to fulfill their original contracts. Gyms that other people in this thread are recommending as great places to train took these members happily even if they didn't want to go.

Nobody in either the past nor the present KnuckleUp organizations wanted this to happen, it was forced upon us, just as it was forced upon those members.

As far as our programs go, we are a highly competitive school in all the discipline's that we teach. We hold multiple titles in Muay Thai and Boxing, our MMA team was a 70-80% win percentage and our BJJ program has been ranked top 10 in the nation for the last 4 years running (ranking as high as 5th) with the only schools beating us being huge affiliate programs.
Nationally Ranked
Nationally Ranked
Nationally Ranked
Nationally Ranked

We currently have 3 Black Belt Instructors on staff, Professor Jim Abrille (Black Belt under Kazeka Muniz), Professor Steve Mitchell (awarded a Black Belt by both Kazeka Muniz and Ranieri Paiva) and last, but certainly not least, Master Ricardo Murgel, 8th Degree Coral Belt under GM Flavio Behring. For those of you that think that Master Murgel isn't anyone just because you may not have heard of him you should do some research. He is not a self promoter which is why he's not plastered all over the internet, but he is a very accomplished instructor, training the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Nate Marquardt (gave him his Black Belt), Marcio Corleta and more.

Master Murgel was graduated to 8th Degree by three Grand Masters (GM Jo

My name is CJ, I am the new owner of the KnuckleUp Locations in Sandy Springs and Alpharetta and I wanted to chime in here and set the record straight.

The KnuckleUp locations that closed didn't do so because they wanted to, the were forced out of business by a financial institution named Duvera Financial. The old owners owed them money and they took all of the contracted members from all those locations and relocated them to other gyms and forced them to fulfill their original contracts. Gyms that other people in this thread are recommending as great places to train took these members happily even if they didn't want to go.

Nobody in either the past nor the present KnuckleUp organizations wanted this to happen, it was forced upon us, just as it was forced upon those members.

As far as our programs go, we are a highly competitive school in all the discipline's that we teach. We hold multiple titles in Muay Thai and Boxing, our MMA team was a 70-80% win percentage and our BJJ program has been ranked top 10 in the nation for the last 4 years running (ranking as high as 5th) with the only schools beating us being huge affiliate programs.
Nationally Ranked
Nationally Ranked
Nationally Ranked
Nationally Ranked

We currently have 3 Black Belt Instructors on staff, Professor Jim Abrille (Black Belt under Kazeka Muniz), Professor Steve Mitchell (awarded a Black Belt by both Kazeka Muniz and Ranieri Paiva) and last, but certainly not least, Master Ricardo Murgel, 8th Degree Coral Belt under GM Flavio Behring. For those of you that think that Master Murgel isn't anyone just because you may not have heard of him you should do some research. He is not a self promoter which is why he's not plastered all over the internet, but he is a very accomplished instructor, training the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Nate Marquardt (gave him his Black Belt), Marcio Corleta and more.

Master Murgel was graduated to 8th Degree by three Grand Masters (GM Jo

They may be more expense than the other options, but you get what you pay for. Heck they may be $100 more than the cheapest option, but $100 a month is not that hard to come up with. Odds are you can change your budget around to find the money, but it would be worth it to find a way if you are interested in learning bjj.

I am driving from Knoxville, TN to Alliance every Saturday and paying a $40 mat fee in my preparation for the Mundials. Plus I am going to hit 3-5 training sessions of their Mundial camp depending on how many days I can get away from my business at $40 a pop. You are just not going to find the level and amount of talent under one roof anywhere else that you will find at Alliance. Plus you have one of the best instructors in the game at Alliance.

If you want to be good Alliance is a good economical decision. If you just want to roll around for some fun and to get a work out in and being good is a secondary concern then Alliance is probably not the best economical decision.

With 40$ mat fees it'd probably make more sense just to sign up for a month by month thing.

Do you ever have Kazeka in for seminars? I would love to meet that guy. I have heard so many stories about him.
Yes we do. We had GM Flavio Behring and Kazeka Muniz last year (both are amazing to work with, I train with Kazeka every time I go home to California as well) and had Brandon Vera here this past Monday, also super cool to work with.

Where is this Judo school that you guys are talking about?

There is a new Gracie Barra school that was recently opened on Ponce De Leon nearby MJQ. I haven't trained there yet, but I know people who teach and they are all top notch.

There is a new Gracie Barra school that was recently opened on Ponce De Leon nearby MJQ. I haven't trained there yet, but I know people who teach and they are all top notch.

mjq is awesome! and if you get there early enough, you can see a show at drunken unicorn first and usually save some money on the cover. kinda funny your using it as a landmark though. (it has no sign)

Knuckle Up Fitness has 8th degree black belt Ricardo Murgel, but I have no idea about the prices there.

UPDATE: Master Ricardo Murgel is an 8th Degree BJJ black belt under the IBJJF and currently owns his own gym in Alpharetta, GA called Union Team BJJ. His organization is called Union Team BJJ Organization (still alive and strong) with affiliates in the US, Brazil, and Eastern Europe. Here is the facebook page. Master Murgel's program focuses on Gi, No Gi, and Judo techniques, as he's also a black belt in Judo under the Judo Brazilian Federation.

Back