Athletes from other sports that could become UFC champions with some training

yeah and neither of them could have one a UFC belt in their debut... nor 2 years into their training... that's what.

Mir was saved by the ref.

Randy was HW champ back then and I think Lesnar could've starched him.

Also, Lesnar never had a legit camp and let's not pretend he was in his athletic prime anymore.

Tyson Fury
Lomachenko
Lomachenko, unfortunately, is too old to make the transition. Rawness of technique is something you can get away with to a degree at the heavier weights, but at the lower weights any holes will be rapidly exposed. Now, if he was 18 and serious about mma I think he would become a monster. You don't win two Olympic gold medals without being a little bit special.

But why would he do it? In boxing he can get at least $1 million per fight. He'll probably get twice that to fight Rigondeaux this Fall, if it happens. Compare that to mma, where lighter weight fighters get nothing but disrespect from fans and promoters alike.

Tyson Fury doesn't even have the discipline to hit a heavy bag anymore. He would be a resounding dud.

Lomachenko, unfortunately, is too old to make the transition. Rawness of technique is something you can get away with to a degree at the heavier weights, but at the lower weights any holes will be rapidly exposed. Now, if he was 18 and serious about mma I think he would become a monster. You don't win two Olympic gold medals without being a little bit special.

But why would he do it? In boxing he can get at least $1 million per fight. He'll probably get twice that to fight Rigondeaux this Fall, if it happens. Compare that to mma, where lighter weight fighters get nothing but disrespect from fans and promoters alike.

Tyson Fury doesn't even have the discipline to hit a heavy bag anymore. He would be a resounding dud.
Tyson Fury would have like a 25% chance of winning the UFC belt if he took the fight right now with zero training.

Joe Joyce Olympic silver at Rio in the Super Heavyweight boxing.
He did a capoeira celebration when he won some of his fights so he's pretty agile for a 6 foot 6 240 lb fighter.

2874.jpg

He's just gone pro with David Hayes promotion company though.

Royce Alger comes to mind.

Aaron Pico too, but he might be able to come back since it was only one fight.
I was thinking of the Rosholt's Jake was a 3x NCAA champion and never amounted to much before retiring and Jared was cut from the UFC even though he had a good run.

Russell Westbrook would be unstoppable at mw.

Well,in the heavyweight division,it might be true. Guys like Lesnar and Cormier came in and became top 5 fighters and UFC/Strikeforce champions. HW is so thin that just having a huge athletic edge over your opponent can make you an elite fighter. So,just for HWs,I can agree.

But again,only heavyweights. A 170 lbs Brock Lesnar or Daniel Cormier would have never even got in the UFC,let alone become champion.

Notice how people are mostly just listing Heavyweights? This is why without Cain or the freak Ngannou, that division is boring as fuck to me. Has the sloppiest fighters that rely on strength mostly over skill.

What I really want to know is how good of a Hockey player these "A" level athletes would be. Put em' on skates and they'll figure out the rest. Bo knows.

Well,in the heavyweight division,it might be true. Guys like Lesnar and Cormier came in and became top 5 fighters and UFC/Strikeforce champions. HW is so thin that just having a huge athletic edge over your opponent can make you an elite fighter. So,just for HWs,I can agree.

But again,only heavyweights. A 170 lbs Brock Lesnar or Daniel Cormier would have never even got in the UFC,let alone become champion.
Cormier would have done well, he took to the sport pretty quickly and started younger than Yoel.

All these thread are complete fantasy and should be wastelanded instantly. What's the difference between make believe shit like this and the proverbial Rickson thread?

Sherdog could be a much better place if mods took the forum rules just a little more seriously (or if they were allowed to do so).

Let's list athletes from other sports that could become UFC champions with some training.

-Anthony Joshua
-Reuben Foster
-LeBron James
-Mijain Lopez
Only 2 of them have combat backgrounds to stand any hope of being sucessful

Notice how people are mostly just listing Heavyweights? This is why without Cain or the freak Ngannou, that division is boring as fuck to me. Has the sloppiest fighters that rely on strength mostly over skill.

Jones says he first set foot in a MMA gym less than three years before becoming champion.

Seeing how he dismatled Shogun, I think he could've done it sooner.

Mir was saved by the ref.

Randy was HW champ back then and I think Lesnar could've starched him.

Also, Lesnar never had a legit camp and let's not pretend he was in his athletic prime anymore.
I'm confused... what side are u on? that it's possible or not? ur first reply gave an opposite tone...looks to me like ur just.. listing things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back