Ask me anything about boxing technique

Is it useful to throw a full powered combination on someones gloves or guard

If you are boxing I would suggest that you do not switch stances, choose one and stick to it for now.

I use a number system for punches with my boxers.
1 - jab
2 - cross
3 - lead hook
4 - rear hook
5 - lead uppercut
6 - rear uppercut
7 - lead body (be it a hook or rip)
8 - rear body
9 - rear overhand

Common combinations you will find at a lot of gyms:

1-2
1-1-2
1-2-3
2-3-2
1-1-2-3-2
6-3-2

You can replace any even number with a slip to your *lead* hand side, or replace any odd number with a slip to your *rear* hand side.

thanks. are any particularly suited for southpaw? That's how im most comfortable. plus it seems like many ppl at my skill level (low) dont know how to fight southpaws well.

Is it useful to throw a full powered combination on someones gloves or guard

See fedor v goodridge. You can blast someone's guard to make openings. As for punching their guard with intentions of hurting their arms/shoulders yes you can but not gonna make much of a differencein a short fight or with someone experienced.

I will watch some footage of him tonight and let you know, haven't seen enough. I think I remember him being very defensively sound.

Thanks for the response chief.

What do you think is the boxing level at UFC? in a scale of 1 to 10?

thanks. are any particularly suited for southpaw? That's how im most comfortable. plus it seems like many ppl at my skill level (low) dont know how to fight southpaws well.

Southpaws get it easier at the lower levels I believe. People don't know how to deal with them so well.

Develop a good jab and use it to set up a cross down the middle.
Circle out to your right with jabs when setting up the cross.
Southpaws have a whole different set of rules really. Should be a different sport altogether :p

How's does one determine their style? I know you can't pick your style but how do you know what your natural style is?

Thanks for the response chief.

What do you think is the boxing level at UFC? in a scale of 1 to 10?

From a purely technical standpoint, without considering their athletic ability-

How's does one determine their style? I know you can't pick your style but how do you know what your natural style is?

Spar with many different types of opponent. The things you do the same in all sorts of situations mark your style.

I spam jabs no matter if the opponent has reach advantage on me or not.

Spar with many different types of opponent. The things you do the same in all sorts of situations mark your style.

I spam jabs no matter if the opponent has reach advantage on me or not.

I hear that sometimes a fighter doesn't know what's best for him. Is it really that simple to determine one's style? What about Marco Antonio Barrera suddenly changing his game late in his career?

My boxing coach tells me to pivot my front foot inward with the jab and to turn sideways. My MMA coach who also teaches boxing tells me not to do so. Who is right from a boxing standpoint (since they are both teaching boxing)?

Also please breakdown Winky Wrights style of defense. Is it beneficial to emulate his defense?

Also, who will when Saturday night Pacquiao or Bradley?

Discuss

I hear that sometimes a fighter doesn't know what's best for him. Is it really that simple to determine one's style? What about Marco Antonio Barrera suddenly changing his game late in his career?

There's always work to be done on technique and style development.
I mean Chico Corrales was a natural brawler but to look at him you would say he was made for (and possibly would've had a lot of success with) out fighting.

I try and make people well rounded and adaptable but everyone has their natural strengths and weaknesses and I believe its the coaches job to emphasize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses (or the opponents access to them).

I mean the perfect style may be to box from a distance and pick the opponent apart without getting hit. Good luck getting Tyson to do that though. To some degree you are forced to take a path by your physical/mental attributes and your coach should be helping you refine that if you cannot be molded to suit an ideal.

There's always work to be done on technique and style development.
I mean Chico Corrales was a natural brawler but to look at him you would say he was made for (and possibly would've had a lot of success with) out fighting.

I try and make people well rounded and adaptable but everyone has their natural strengths and weaknesses and I believe its the coaches job to emphasize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses (or the opponents access to them).

I mean the perfect style may be to box from a distance and pick the opponent apart without getting hit. Good luck getting Tyson to do that though. To some degree you are forced to take a path by your physical/mental attributes and your coach should be helping you refine that if you cannot be molded to suit an ideal.

Very insightful

My boxing coach tells me to pivot my front foot inward with the jab and to turn sideways. My MMA coach who also teaches boxing tells me not to do so. Who is right from a boxing standpoint (since they are both teaching boxing)?

Also please breakdown Winky Wrights style of defense. Is it beneficial to emulate his defense?

Discuss

The jab is most commonly a moving punch, not a rotating punch.. strangely I am going to say your MMA coach is more on the right track. Foot rotation on a jab scares me as a concept.. how do you fire multiple jabs???

Discuss

Also, winky's defense is solid and worked well for him but it was a bit too passive for my liking, wore a lot of shots on his guard that sometimes get scored. I would rather evade.

Much greater variation in k1 then MMA.

Anywhere from 2-7

With that said, and looking at Anderson Silva's, Cain Velazquez and GSP's stand up skills, relative to their boxing technique, how well would he perform under K-1 rules as opposed to MMA?

Back