Arum "would love" to do Garcia-Lomachenko, "more than happy"

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
Likely in the fall, he says. I've stated many times before that I thought Arum would work with Mikey again because busine$$ is busine$$. Lomachenko has Sosa on the 8th and then will probably move up and fight Flanagan first, if Mikey doesn't beat him to it, in which case Loma can fight somebody else at Lightweight first. That's their plan it seems. A winter date would seem much more likely given the timeline on Lomachenko's end. Is Bob bluffing? I don't think so.

Arum Very Willing To Do Mikey Garcia vs. Vasyl Lomachenko

By Radio Rahim

WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (7-1, 5 KOs) is very interested in moving up to 135-pounds to challenge WBC world champion Mikey Garcia (36-0, 30 KOs), who is equally just as interested in that matchup.

Garcia is once again regarded as one of the best fighters in the world after a devastating three round knockout of Dejan Zlaticanin in January of this year.

Lomachenko, regarded by some as the best pound-for-pound fighter in boxing, is back on April 8th when he defends his title against former WBA world champion Jason Sosa.

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, who promotes Lomachenko, would have no problem with sitting down to negotiate a deal to fight Garcia in the near future.

For the majority of his pro career, Garcia was promoted by Arum's company. They had a bad falling out in early 2014, and their disagreement became a lawsuit which dragged out for two years before the two sides reached a settlement and went in separate directions.

Arum is not holding any grudges over their parting of ways and would be more than happy to work out an agreement. Garcia's older brother and head trainer, Robert Garcia, is now starting to manage fighters and signed a few of them to Arum's company.

"Of course [I would do that fight]. The past is the past. I would agree with Vasyl, that Garcia-Lomachenko would be a very good fight, that Garcia is one the few fighters around who would even be a test for Lomachenko. So of course I would be happy to do that fight. One thing, you don't stay in this business for 51 years and keep grudges," Arum said.

Garcia's first defense of the WBC title is scheduled to take place in May or June. The WBC will likely order him, sooner or later, to make a mandatory defense against Jorge Linares - should he defeat Anthony Crolla this coming Saturday in Manchester. Linares is the WBC's 'Champion in Recess.'
Arum Very Willing To Do Mikey Garcia vs. Vasyl Lomachenko

Mikey is willing to wait around for Loma to move up until early 2018, when he plans to move up himself.

Mikey Garcia Will Go To 140 in 2018, Unless Lomachenko Comes

By Miguel Rivera

WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia (36-0, 30 KOs) is hoping to have a unification fight or two in 2017, before an eventual move to 140-pounds in early 2018.

Garcia is willing to delay his move to junior welterweight - if WBO super featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko (7-1, 5 KOs) comes up to 135-pounds to fight him in the near future.

Garcia and Lomachenko are both interested in facing each other, but for the moment they are playing out their title runs in different divisions.

Garcia will keep a close eye on Saturday rematch between Jorge Linares and Anthony Crolla, who battle for the World Boxing Association lightweight title. And he will also be watching the April 8 battle between Terry Flanagan and Petr Petrov, who collide for the World Boxing Organization title.

"I can unify with the winner [of tomorrow's fight], whether it's Linares or Crolla. What we want is to be considered the best of the division, Linares has the title of the WBA, Ring Magazine and he is champion in recess of the WBC, so it would be a big fight. I wish that it could happen in the summer, but I know that it will be difficult," Garcia told ESPN Deportes.

"I would like to fight in the summer but depending on the outcome of the fight on Saturday I can start planning my future. We could work for a unification fight for certain months, but if they get hurt or ask for more time to unify and even face me, then possibly we will have to have to make a defense. Also, Flanagan fights on April 8 with Petr Petrov. It's a fight that I will also be paying attention to. If Linares wins, we will face him. And if he gets hurt he will wait and maybe we could do that fight in November. And if Flanagan or Petrov is available, we will take the best option."

"I want to clean out the division in 2017, that's the plan.. to become the best. In a perfect world [that's what will happen this year], and then in 2018 I'll jump up to super lightweight. Next year if there are no attractive fights at lightweight, then I will go up to super lightweight. Although if Vasyl Lomachenko comes up, for example, I could stay a little longer."
Mikey Garcia Will Go To 140 in 2018, Unless Lomachenko Comes

Last edited:
Never happens.

Bob doesn't put together fights like this anymore.

when you have lomachenko its easy to want any fight
lomachenko really is a high tech boxer

It makes sense to pursue for pretty much everyone. It's not like TR has a lot else kicking around and Garcia, aside from clearly being the most lucrative opponent to date, would be a signature win for Lomachenko. I'm still wary because it's Arum, but there are enough other good minds at TR that Arum can likely be made to see sense.

It makes sense to pursue for pretty much everyone. It's not like TR has a lot else kicking around and Garcia, aside from clearly being the most lucrative opponent to date, would be a signature win for Lomachenko. I'm still wary because it's Arum, but there are enough other good minds at TR that Arum can likely be made to see sense.

If this comes through, I have to imagine it's because Todd made it happen, distracting Bob with keys or old reruns of Andy Griffith or something.

If this comes through, I have to imagine it's because Todd made it happen, distracting Bob with keys or old reruns of Andy Griffith or something.
Huh, I wonder what Ant Bee is up to this week.

Huh, I wonder what Ant Bee is up to this week.

I used to catch that show all the time. During my childhood, I spent a ton of time with my grandparents (usually 3 months straight out of each year). I don't know what it was, but when I was staying with them I loved watching Nick at Night. The more I think about it, I think it was just something me and my grandfather could do together (he also used to let me watch boxing with him even though my mom didn't want him to). Anyway, Andy Griffith, Gilligan's Island, the Lucy Show, hell there were probably others that I just don't remember, but I have a lot of fond memories of those shows and characters (probably why the one accent I can do is racist-Cuban). Even Carson. I miss Carson on late night and all I ever got was reruns.

I used to catch that show all the time. During my childhood, I spent a ton of time with my grandparents (usually 3 months straight out of each year). I don't know what it was, but when I was staying with them I loved watching Nick at Night. The more I think about it, I think it was just something me and my grandfather could do together (he also used to let me watch boxing with him even though my mom didn't want him to). Anyway, Andy Griffith, Gilligan's Island, the Lucy Show, hell there were probably others that I just don't remember, but I have a lot of fond memories of those shows and characters (probably why the one accent I can do is racist-Cuban). Even Carson. I miss Carson on late night and all I ever got was reruns.

Same on the Grandpa/Nick at Nite/Boxing stuff! It's funny, I distinctly recall watching a fight where we made a small wager and he won but my Grandma made him give it back because I was like 8 or 9. I have no idea who the fight was between, I always had the best of intentions going in when I was young when it came to boxing, but the sport confused me, so I was never a huge fan until later. I didn't understand why the guy who was throwing all the blocked punches was losing, and later had a hardtime when I was wrestling in HS trying to watch boxing because of my own natural inclinations as a "fighter (lol)" back then, and also because Im assuming it was Teddy Atlas on the broadcast all the time in Hs because you couldn't even identify which fighter was which with the commentary, but yeah I didn't absorb into boxing until college, and even then it was hard to break into the sport because of Teddy Atlas. But that's not the point, I love Teddy, the point is IDKSAB as a kid or a teen and I gotta laugh at my Grandpa taking my money like an easy mark. I'll never forget him snatching my money and leaving the den to put it in his room laughing the whole way there. Lol he did this with cards, too. What an gambling addict

Sorry to invade your convo, just had some similar memories to share haha

i'd love to see it.

can't imagine it being anything other than an awesome fight.

They should make a Mikey Lomachencko linares free for all

I guess we find out how much bark and how much bite comes from Lomachenko after this Sosa fight. My guess is that they never mention Garcia.

I guess we find out how much bark and how much bite comes from Lomachenko after this Sosa fight. My guess is that they never mention Garcia.

They've already mentioned Garcia. He has in many interviews. He wouldn't be fighting Garcia next anyway.

Or at all, is my guess.

His plan is to move up to Lightweight this year. Lightweight is a weak division with Mikey being the best fighter there, by far, and the most marketable. It'd be a big fight for boxing and Lomachenko is an ambitious fighter that likes challenges, contrary to what you believe. However, moving up and fighting Mikey immediately would be a bad idea. He should have a fight there first, optimally a couple, then fight Garcia. But, a couple fights wouldn't fit into the timeline this year so it'd have to be just one before fighting him before the end of the year, unless they do it in early 2018 before Mikey goes to JWW.

Just the thought of this fight gives me tingles. It might take a miracle to make it, but it would be a masterpiece for one man that night if it went down. They both have to fight the perfect fight to win.

Back