Movies Ari Aster.. Sasquatch Sunset

SmoothPies

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm trying to make sense of Ari Aster and the direction of his movies.

His first full feature was Hereditary. Awesome movie, one of the best horror movies ever IMO.

Second movie was Midsommar. Also really good, original, and well done.

Third movie... Beau is Afraid. What in the F was that. Easily the strangest movie I've ever seen, and not in a good way. Anyone who rates this movie highly should be put on a watch list.

His next movie comes out next month... and it's called Sasquatch Sunset. He's not the director, but is the executive producer. I'm going to let this trailer speak for itself:

B_2WCVmWYAAWDzg.jpg

Apparently his next film as director is a western with Joaquin, Emma Stone, Pedro Pascal, and Austin Butler. Interested in that. I'm a fan of the genre and you see so few examples of it this day, so when a talented filmmaker takes it on, it's worth noting. Could be interesting, too. Is it some revisionist western with his own idiosyncratic bend or is it a more conventional film for him.

That sasquatch trailer definitely left my scratching my head.

Felt weird for the sake of being weird and going for that Jackson Pollack effect of hoping people will stare at the weird shit and call it art for fear of being looked down on for not "getting it."

That sasquatch trailer definitely left my scratching my head.

Felt weird for the sake of being weird and going for that Jackson Pollack effect of hoping people will stare at the weird shit and call it art for fear of being looked down on for not "getting it."

I wonder if there is no dialogue. I'll have to check out some reviews. Seems like it was fairly positively received at Sundance. Maybe they should have just remade Harry and the Hendersons.

Riley Keogh is probably one of the most prolific actors out there. Just feel like she's been in tons of stuff the past few years- both series and movies.

Also check out Dream Scenario. A24, Ari Aster produced, starring Nicolas Cage.

Back