Are we in the Golden Age of Boxers vs. Mixed Martial Artists?

Official

OT Newcomer of the Year 2017 Nominee
@Green
Reaction score
We all know that this activity has grown and evolved immensely since 1993. First we had the era of guys like Art Jimmerson fighting Royce Gracie. Then you had there tons of boxers like James Toney fighting Randy Coors. And now we have entered the age of Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. Are we in the Golden Age of this style of fighting? Obviously MMA is winning so far.

A few freak show fights over a 25 year period does not really make it a golden age.

We are very fortunate to have witnessed all those fights you mentioned

methodgetrs100q75x129y66w310h165ro0sroyce-gracie-art-jimmerson.jpg

james-toney.jpg

floyd-mayweather-jr.jpg
bob-arum-dana-white.jpg

I think the announcement of this "fight" has meant that my ignore list is undergoing something of a renaissance; too early to truly ascertain if it's a true Golden Age for my ignore list but there really are signs that come the middle of August I'll have blocked all of the cunts on this site.

This, to misquote John D. Macdonald, includes myself.

We all know that this activity has grown and evolved immensely since 1993. First we had the era of guys like Art Jimmerson fighting Royce Gracie. Then you had there tons of boxers like James Toney fighting Randy Coors. And now we have entered the age of Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. Are we in the Golden Age of this style of fighting? Obviously MMA is winning so far.
Ray Mercer KOing Tim Sylvia is the only fight that matters.
Boxing wins.

Randy Coors

We are very fortunate to have witnessed all those fights you mentioned

Agreed. It's a shame that kids today who's first experience with this type of fight will be Floyd vs. Conor. They won't be able to truly appreciate the beauty of what they are seeing without knowing about all the great battles that came before it.

How about Fedor Miller or Tim Budweiser? Maybe a Mirko IPA if you're into something hoppier.
This is genius, someone should make these and make a killing with mma fans

GGG Vodka
Chávez light lager
Canelo non alcoholic beer "i.e. Fake beer "

This is genius, someone should make these and make a killing with mma fans

GGG Vodka
Chávez light lager
Canelo non alcoholic beer "i.e. Fake beer "

Thinly veiled Canelo bashing?
Also, Rigondeaux Everclear because nobody wants to fuck with that shit.

No. All this shit about boxers vs mma fighters is going to end after May/Mac.

You'll always have journey level fighters trying to cross over, but I don't think we'll ever see anything like this again. Floyd is about to make Conor look really stupid in the ring.

Nope.

We are at Floyd wanting a supereasy fight and a payday.

So bad that they have to try and not laugh at footage of conor sparring/training so they can actually pretend that this is a fight and not just a wwe matchup

Sounds like we all agree that this is the GOLDEN AGE

Agreed. It's a shame that kids today who's first experience with this type of fight will be Floyd vs. Conor. They won't be able to truly appreciate the beauty of what they are seeing without knowing about all the great battles that came before it.

How is it a shame if a mega fight gets kids to watch the sport.

I swear this fight riles people up where their hate blinds them. this is a monumental moment for sports and the fight game.

my son who doesnt like boxing and is only 9 saw a commercial and no doubt has heard these two names in this house, said Oh i want to watch that fight.

This fight is huge and will be great for the masses

Nope.

We are at Floyd wanting a supereasy fight and a payday.

So bad that they have to try and not laugh at footage of conor sparring/training so they can actually pretend that this is a fight and not just a wwe matchup

and is there anything wrong with that?

I don't know, after the hague thing, it has me rethinking what I thought before which was that it would be an interesting, uncompetitive spectacle. Odds are that no tragedy will come of it but tragedy isn't good for the sport so let's just hope nothing like that happens.

Tons of fights like Toney vs Couture?
Name them.

Back