Are UK fans the biggest homers in boxing?

moosaev

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
If you look at the UK media sphere, UK boxing community, and the UK Twitter it’s absolutely shocking the number of people who think Callum Smith will KO Beterbiev. In this alternate universe it seems Beterbiev is the underdog. It’s boxing and anything can happen, I get it, but there is absolutely nothing in Callum Smiths resume that should warrant that level of confidence. The last time I witnessed this level of hopium was GGG Vs. kell Brook. Is there a more delusional fan base? Do UK boxing fans understand how crazy their homerism is?

All they want to see is their fighter defy the odds and beat the world. That's why they're some of the best fans in the world.

If you look at the UK media sphere, UK boxing community, and the UK Twitter it’s absolutely shocking the number of people who think Callum Smith will KO Beterbiev. In this alternate universe it seems Beterbiev is the underdog. It’s boxing and anything can happen, I get it, but there is absolutely nothing in Callum Smiths resume that should warrant that level of confidence. The last time I witnessed this level of hopium was GGG Vs. kell Brook. Is there a more delusional fan base? Do UK boxing fans understand how crazy their homerism is?

There’s plenty of British posters post in the boxing forum and I guarantee you must of us favour beterbiev.

Twitters full of fuckin idiots quite frankly and I can tell you right now that almost no one over here (other than clueless casuals which there are quite a few) tipped Brook over golovkin. Rather than trawling Twitter and random social media sites to come up with your sensationalist view, why not ask the uk posters who actually post in the boxing forum for a more realistic view from actual British boxing fans

There’s plenty of British posters post in the boxing forum and I guarantee you must of us favour beterbiev.

Twitters full of fuckin idiots quite frankly and I can tell you right now that almost no one over here (other than clueless casuals which there are quite a few) tipped Brook over golovkin. Rather than trawling Twitter and random social media sites to come up with your sensationalist view, why not ask the uk posters who actually post in the boxing forum for a more realistic view from actual British boxing fans
How am I to know what a realistic view of British sentiment is? Almost every UK media interview I see people picking Smith. It seems like a fairly mainstream opinion if not a majority opinion.

All they want to see is their fighter defy the odds and beat the world. That's why they're some of the best fans in the world.
I get the passion, but objectivity has its role as well. I just think if we’re all fans of boxing we should attempt to take our nationalistic goggles off to analyze a fight. I wouldn’t pick a random American 122 pounder to upset Inoue no matter how badly I wanted him to win.

I get the passion, but objectivity has its role as well. I just think if we’re all fans of boxing we should attempt to take our nationalistic goggles off to analyze a fight. I wouldn’t pick a random American 122 pounder to upset Inoue no matter how badly I wanted him to win.
Yes you're right buddy the whole world should enjoy sports your way.

Yes you're right buddy the whole world should enjoy sports your way.
I’m not telling anyone to enjoy it my way, but if you’re gonna do it your way then allow me to observe that you’re the most delusional and biggest homers in boxing.

I’m not telling anyone to enjoy it my way, but if you’re gonna do it your way then allow me to observe that you’re the most delusional and biggest homers in boxing.
You can piss into the wind as much as you want, it's not gonna change the direction of it

You can piss into the wind as much as you want, it's not gonna change the direction of it
You’re on sherdog buddy, nothing we post changes anything and yet we still discuss and give opinions.

How am I to know what a realistic view of British sentiment is? Almost every UK media interview I see people picking Smith. It seems like a fairly mainstream opinion if not a majority opinion.

Quick search

4 British predictions there and only smiths trainer tipping him!

I think I’m the only uk poster on here giving smith a chance and I’m well aware that he is the underdog!

And as jmOb stated above, we actually support our teams and sportsmen. Weirdly that seems to bother some people

Quick search

4 British predictions there and only smiths trainer tipping him!

I think I’m the only uk poster on here giving smith a chance and I’m well aware that he is the underdog!

And as jmOb stated above, we actually support our teams and sportsmen. Weirdly that seems to bother some people
Support is one thing, but why does your support and rooting interest have to skew how you analyze the fight? Also, congrats on cherry picking, I was pretty clear that i was gauging general sentiment not saying every UK person picked Callum. Take a look at this range of industry predictions :

thats-all-we-got-steve-terreberry.gif

Lol half of those interviewed are scousers or have the surname smith. Nice cherry picking. And if you’ve ever met a scouser you would know that they are scouse first English second. They’ll back there own no matter what.

Dan azeez and Richie woodhall both tipping beterbiev. And Darren barker/dave Caldwell giving their reasons why they think an upset can happen. All valid points tbh

I pretty sure you’ve already started a similar thread to this not that long ago. You seem obsessed.

Lol half of those interviewed are scousers or have the surname smith. Nice cherry picking. And if you’ve ever met a scouser you would know that they are scouse first English second. They’ll back there own no matter what.

Dan azeez and Richie woodhall both tipping beterbiev. And Darren barker/dave Caldwell giving their reasons why they think an upset can happen. All valid points tbh

I pretty sure you’ve already started a similar thread to this not that long ago. You seem obsessed.
I gave you a cherry pick in return for the one you gave me. I wasn’t basing it just on that, almost every similar video has a majority of UK observers picking Smith.

Probably a sense of patriotic loyalty to their fellow countrymen but there's always wishful thinking involved so it's hard to say. I don't have anything bad to say about the British fanbase. Alongside the Mexicans they're the most passionate. The popularity of their domestic scene alone and the buzz it generates is unrivaled. When a fighter across the pond wins a British title it's a big deal.

Last edited:
Probably a sense of patriotic loyalty to their fellow countrymen but there's always wishful thinking involved so it's hard to say. I don't have anything bad to say about the British fanbase. Alongside the Mexicans they're the most passionate. The popularity of their domestic scene alone and the buzz it generates is unrivaled. When a fighter across the pond wins a British title it's a big deal.
They’re definitely great fans, just not the most objective.

They’re definitely great fans, just not the most objective.
It might also have something to do with Artur struggling against Callum Johnson (that single moment where he got dropped) and Yarde in his last fight. Both British fighters. Yarde was ahead on the cards until Artur went beast mode and clubbed him down.

Also MMA. They are the biggest homers generally. They still aren't over losing their main character status.

It might also have something to do with Artur struggling against Callum Johnson (that single moment where he got dropped) and Yarde in his last fight. Both British fighters. Yarde was ahead on the cards until Artur went beast mode and clubbed him down.
They’re homers regardless of what the matchup is not just Artur. I remember a TON of them were backing Kell brook to upset GGG.

I see the same in the US with black and Hispanic fans. There was a whole bunch of black fans believing Charlo was gonna embarrass canelo and there's still a bunch of Mexican Americans I see around here who really believe Andy Ruiz can beat any hw. White Americans probably would too but they don't have any white American fighters to get riled up over anymore. I do remember there was a bunch of white MMA fans thinking Conor was gonna beat Floyd, but even other MMA fans of different races were thinking the same thing, it was crazy.

Back