Are UFC champions ranked higher/bigger stars than gold-medal Olympic wrestlers?

nastyElbows also avirgin

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
in your opinion, do you think being a UFC champion is better than being an Olympic gold medalist wrestler?

more fame/more money,etc?

No. To the majority of people the Olympics are the highest honor an athlete can receive.

Being champ is still a very high honor though.

Nothing but hate for Yoel in this thread.

No UFC belt or gold medal.

Why not both?

vyy7bkt67se11.jpg

For some sports. For boxing I would say no. Pro's smash olympic amateurs all the time.

But in terms of like wrestling or judo, then those accomplishments are highly revered because the competition is so steep.

Tough call, I'm sure the last few Olympic gold medal matches had 100 million dollar revenutes...

Hard to measure, but here is a snapshot of google trends for MIchael Phelps and Conor McGregor

Phelps_vs_Mcgregor_google_trends.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-11_6-51-57.png
    upload_2018-10-11_6-51-57.png
    20 KB · Views: 1
For some sports. For boxing I would say no. Pro's smash olympic amateurs all the time.

Like Lenox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko and Anthony Joshua?

The TS asked about Olympic wrestlers, the UK Olympic coverage doesn't even show the wrestling medals, if it wasn't for MMA the only Olympic gold medallist wrestler I'd know of was Kurt Angle and that's nothing to do with real wrestling. Conor vs Khabib has received lots of coverage but maybe not for the right reason.

Whether being a UFC champ makes you better than an Olympic gold medallist, who knows. How many people wrestle compared to how many people compete in MMA. There are massive national systems in place to try and produce Olympic champions, it nowhere near as organised in MMA.

Like Lenox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko and Anthony Joshua?

The TS asked about Olympic wrestlers, the UK Olympic coverage doesn't even show the wrestling medals, if it wasn't for MMA the only Olympic gold medallist wrestler I'd know of was Kurt Angle and that's nothing to do with real wrestling. Conor vs Khabib has received lots of coverage but maybe not for the right reason.

Whether being a UFC champ makes you better than an Olympic gold medallist, who knows. How many people wrestle compared to how many people compete in MMA. There are massive national systems in place to try and produce Olympic champions, it nowhere near as organised in MMA.

When did I say there aren't successful Olympic amateurs? I'm just saying a lot of them get beat by pros, who never once competed in the Olympics. This is factual. So my point is I wouldn't revere Olympic boxing as high as say Olympic wrestling.

Harder to win a gold medal in wrestling than it is to win A UFC title

Back