Are these 5 HOFs worthy of being in the hall?

Meh. Holmes' resume is not all that deep. More about quantity of mediocre quality than anyone standout. I mean, what makes Norton a good win? One magical night against a fading legend and a bunch of scary beatings against other good fighters? He's Oliver McCall from a more respected era.
Arguably should have beat ali in the 3rd fight and holmes.

He wasn’t some atg. But i do find it sorta funny that resume wise holmes is probably the 4th best hw ever and his best win is over norton....

Arturo Gatti was not an elite level fighter, his skills alone do not warrant a place in the HOF much like Ricardo Mayorga however, Arturo Gatti was everything boxing showcases as a sport, heart, grit, not being afraid of defeat as long as you gave it everything you had. Arturo Gatti showed heart in every fight of his career he never took a step back and fought until the fight was over or he was stopped. I think he deserves a place in the HOF for what he did for the boxing community as a whole, numerous fights of the year and gave the casual viewers someone to respect.

Arturo Gatti was not an elite level fighter, his skills alone do not warrant a place in the HOF much like Ricardo Mayorga however, Arturo Gatti was everything boxing showcases as a sport, heart, grit, not being afraid of defeat as long as you gave it everything you had. Arturo Gatti showed heart in every fight of his career he never took a step back and fought until the fight was over or he was stopped. I think he deserves a place in the HOF for what he did for the boxing community as a whole, numerous fights of the year and gave the casual viewers someone to respect.
So should mayorga be in also?

yeah I'd probably say Norton too

thing with holmes though is that it's usually accepted that he fought in a relatively weak era, but he was just very dominant.
Meh. Tex Cobb would have been Tex Cobb in any era. Honestly, mediocrity in different eras of HWs is more common than great ones.

So should mayorga be in also?

No, I referenced Mayorga as an example of a non elite caliber fighter who fought at the top but lacked the skills to be a great. Mayorga could take a hit but he didn't really have heart and his tactic of letting opponents take free shots to show how macho he was usual resulted in late knockout losses.
Gatti - heart, tough, never gave up and always fought his heart out to the end. Fought the best and often gave fight of the year performances - HOF worthy
Mayorga - Tough, lacked heart, often gave up when he started losing. Fought the best and often gave up - Not HOF worthy

Arturo Gatti -I disagree with the guy, though. Gatti was involved in FOTY, what- 4 or 5 times? People tuned in to watch Gatti. He also won world titles at two different weights. He deserves to be in there.

according to floyd gatti was a paper champ

according to floyd gatti was a paper champ
It was just tradh talk, junior.
Go back and keep watching after the fight ends, Floyd cried tears of joy after winning that one while mumbling “god is great” like he’s getting 72 versions. It was the only time

As mentioned before, it's a hall of fame, not a hall of achievements. Chacon wasn't just a crowd pleaser, though. Limon, Boza Edwards, Olivares, Danny Lopez... These guys were good. Gatti's resume is inferior, but if a guy embodies the concept of a hall of fame, it's him. He was arguably the face of boxing for a time. I'd put these 2 above the other 3. Norton gets a pass because of the era he fought in, I guess. He was as close as it gets to take Holmes's 0 and win a trilogy against Ali. One could argue he couldn't take a punch, but he wasn't lucky either. Qawi had an exciting style, that being said the Saad Muhammad he beat was pretty much a corpse, and so was Leon. The rest, like most Norton's famous showings, are losses. I'd keep him in because he also pushed dominant Evander and Spinks versions pretty far. Cuevas is a question mark. That's something appealing in his story, though. A big upset against Espada and 11 straight title defenses, and a crowd pleasing style...

Hell, I guess the year they got inducted is also a factor. But as far as the criteria are subjective, it's kind of pointless to argue against an induction.
I guess I always think of crowd pleaser when it comes to the hall because I never think it's just greatness that gets them in. chacon, i saw all or most of his later fights, bloodbaths, what i recall, and this was just when i started to be a boxing nut, chacon's rep was a guy who'd squandered all his talent, he came back but of course at 32 he was past his prime. he was known as a guy with a lot of talent when he was young, he had a great comeback story even though it was tragic, his wife killed herself because he wouldn't quit boxing. Camacho was just coming on the scene and many writers compared him to chacon and there was even an article quoting chacon advising camacho to look at him and learn what not to do. Chacon also ducked Camacho, Macho would have beat chacon as badly as he beat limon. Chacon went on to fight mancini and he looked like he was fighting a guy 3 divisions to high, which is pretty much what it was. I was suprised to learn that he didn't have that many more fights after that, surprised because he ended up in horrible shape, he had some real wars but it's not like he fought until he was forty.

Meh. Holmes' resume is not all that deep. More about quantity of mediocre quality than anyone standout. I mean, what makes Norton a good win? One magical night against a fading legend and a bunch of scary beatings against other good fighters? He's Oliver McCall from a more respected era.
I was young so I was a lot more easily impresed then but some of those guys looked pretty good, and just the big names, Carl Williams arguably beat him as did Witherspoon, snipes put him down let's see, some were just cans, who was that spaniard he beat? he was a can, tex cobb wasn't a serious challenger, there were guys that no one will remember lorenzo zanon? Leroy Jones? Lucien rodriguez, i'm not sure i'm getting the names right but those don't sound like title challengers. Frank scott? I could have some of these wrong, of course little marvis shouldn't have been there. Holmes definitely was going downhill for at least 2 years before the spinks loss, it's amazing he came back to beat mercer and give holyfield a competitive go. That's the power of craft.

Back