Are Korean prospects all destined to fail?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Soo Chul Kim effectively retired at his peak.

Yoon Jun Lee hasn't fought in 2.5 years

A-Sol Kwon hasn't fought in 1.5 years

What Korean prospect has the best chance of future success? In Su Hwang? Jung Young Lee? In Jae La? Someone else?

What Korean prospect has the best chance of future success? In Su Hwang? Jung Young Lee? In Jae La? Someone else?

Korean Zombie is a top 10 FW
Hamderlei is #2 atomweight in the world
Ji Yeon Kim can be a very very good flyweight - she lost in the UFC only at BW. I see her entering top 10

Nah TS...one day a Korean wilk be a champ in a large mma organization. K.ZOmbie was super close at one point. Lots of tough guys come out of S.Korea. Stay optimistic

soon™
giphy.gif

It’s crazy how Asia, supposedly the homeland of martial arts, doesn’t produce a large amount of high level mixed martial artist.

Ji Yeon Kim can be a very very good flyweight - she lost in the UFC only at BW. I see her entering top 10
Korean Zombie is not a prospect at this point.
I can't even name 3 Atomweight fighters.
The UFC women's flyweight division is still very new. Being ranked in the top 10 right now doesn't mean much.

It’s crazy how Asia, supposedly the homeland of martial arts, doesn’t produce a large amount of high level mixed martial artist.
I remember of all fighters it was backstage Pride footage of FELONY Charles Bennett saying that the Japanese over rate their fighters. Seems to be the case for the most part.

I think some of it has to do with a lot of Asian MMA fighters stay in Asian promotions and come over to the UFC. I think it is similar to Russian fighters staying in M-1. I could be wrong but there probably are some fighters in Rizin or One FC that could compete in the UFC. Then again I haven't watched much of those promotions except a random Ben Askren or Garry Tonnon fight

Honestly thought she won her fight against that Czech lady.

Yoon jun lee got a bad injury. Some shit like that. Soo chul kim is still young and was at tiger Muay Thai couple months ago or something. Wouldn’t surprise me seeing him back in mma sooner or later.

Yoon jun lee got a bad injury. Some shit like that. Soo chul kim is still young and was at tiger Muay Thai couple months ago or something. Wouldn’t surprise me seeing him back in mma sooner or later.

I think yoon jun Lee had a brain aneurysm. So may not ever see him again. Hope he is well

Do hoi Choi I think that's how it's spelled ? He's still pretty young put on hood fight with Cub and Stephens

Its because at least in Japan, MMA as a ruleset really isnt as popular as westerners think it is. Everyone here prefers kickboxing, they mostly look at MMA as kickboxing's more boring cousin that can go to the ground. I mean of course there are plenty of fans of MMA here we have a big population, but if we're talking mass appeal and participation its probably the least popular combat sport.

Just wait until MMA is big enough to pay as well as Starcraft, their best athletes will start crossing over and destroy everyone with their elite handspeed and otherworldy actions-per-minute stats bossing the scorecards.

It´s a matter of perspective, and... opportunities...

Watch this fight, for instance:

Shoji was gamer than most of Aldo´s Brazilians (Vale Tudo) or WEC/UFC opponents...

Its because at least in Japan, MMA as a ruleset really isnt as popular as westerners think it is. Everyone here prefers kickboxing, they mostly look at MMA as kickboxing's more boring cousin that can go to the ground. I mean of course there are plenty of fans of MMA here we have a big population, but if we're talking mass appeal and participation its probably the least popular combat sport.

And that is equally ironic. Japan is largely credited for developing practical martial arts to be used in combat and self defense, but apparently it doesn’t have a large mixed martial arts fan base. The ground based jujitsu that is such a big and essential part of mixed martial arts, was actually first developed in Japan and imported to Brazil.

Korean Zombie did fight for the title, and only lost bc his shoulder got dislocated. If he beats Frankie he’s def back up there as a contender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back