Are heavy Dumbbells impossible to use? I'm looking for a good substitute for barbell training

PapiFlaco

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I'd love to get a barbell and plates but that's impossible for now since I'm not really settled in a permanent place and constantly renting rooms from the internet which means I can't deadlift.

Originally, I was going to buy the Ironmind Vlucan rack iii with the pull up bar, the Ironmind pillars of power spotters & a barbell and plates. Due to my situation, I've been thinking about buying adjustable Ironmind Dumbbells (165 lbs max each bell) but due to the stabilizer issues, I'm worried that I'll be wasting my time with them.

My other plan is to stick to Progressive Calsithenics like from the bodyweightfitness sub-Reddit/Overcoming Gravity book stuff but that's basically gaining skills instead of strength since I'll be basically using the same weight just in different angles.

I don't care to have the biggest Deadlift/Squat/BP or OHP. I just care about training to get as much functional strength needed while having "gas in the tank" for participating in everyday hobbies and activities. I care about enough strength to help when i have to survive in a random situation or fight. Enough strength to assist me when participating in whatever martial arts, sports and everyday scenario.

I was really stoked to use the Tactical Barbell series and/or Starting Strength program with some Ross Enamait or Joel Jamieson stuff for Conditioning but the lack of barbell access ruined that for me.

I figured that weight is simply weight, which is true, but my dilemma in purchasing the Ironmaster Dbs is if it's even worth it since I've read that it'll be impossible to maintain grip during movements like squats, DB deadlift variations, etc. Also, it's obvious that it'll be almost impossible to get the Dumbbells in proper position without a high risk of injury while trying to do stuff like overhead press and DB Floor/Bench press. Also, wouldn't the progress with the Dumbbells be similar to the amount of time I'd spend progressing with Progressive Calisthenics be the same or about the same since both require adaptation of the stabilizer muscles?

In all, I'm confused as to what to do. I'm currently looking at buying:

- One of these pull up stands: http://trapezerigging.com/products/elite-xl-freestanding-portable-pullup-bar

or

http://www.ironmind-store.com/mobile/Vulcan-Racks-III-Base-Unit-with-Chinning-Bar-Setup/productinfo/1217-C/

- gymnastic rings and Parallettes bars (not sure if they're worth the purchase, yet)

- Ironmind adjustable Dumbbells (165 lbs max each dumbbell)

- Ironmind adjustable kettlebell 80 lb max (for swings and TGUs)

- Compact Glute Ham Raise Developer (for my posterior chain; to take place of not being able to deadlift)

- Ultimate MMA Conditioning with the BioForce HRV ( is it worth the buy for someone who isn't competing in MMA but land to train for self defense and hobby?)

- Robert Baraban Gripper or Captains of Crush for crush grip, sledge or some thing for leverage wrist training, pinch hub or pinch block for pinch grip & rubber bands for extensor training.

- Neck Flex for neck training (will this even really work or is it bullshit?). Here's a link to it: http://www.theneckflex.com/take-action/

What do you think I should do and buy?

Last edited:
Didn't read the entire op, but yes, heavy d-bells are fine; you can significant size, strength, while maintaining "gas in the tank". When it comes to training for strength, b-bells>d-bells. But that doesn't mean d-bells can't be a viable option for modest strength-related goals.

Didn't read the entire op, but yes, heavy d-bells are fine; you can significant size, strength, while maintaining "gas in the tank". When it comes to training for strength, b-bells>d-bells. But that doesn't mean d-bells can't be a viable option for modest strength-related goals.

So, using 165 lb (each bell) DBs shouldn't be difficult to place in proper position or increase risk of injury, right?

Btw, I'd greatly appreciate if you read my post. I really need advice and I'd appreciate advice.

Last edited:
So, using 165 lb (each bell) DBs shouldn't be difficult to place in proper position or increase risk of injury, right?
Depends on the lift. But if you are efficiently moving 165lb Dumbbells, you're far stronger than I. I'll read the entire op later.

Depends on the lift. But if you are efficiently moving 165lb Dumbbells, you're far stronger than I. I'll read the entire op later.

I'm far from lifting with Dumbbells that weight, lol. I'm Just speaking about when I get to that point.

I'm also contemplating on whether I should just stick to progressive bodyweight training instead, since it'll save money. These Dumbbells will cost $800 plus for 120 lbs (250 lbs). The extra add ins to make them 165 lbs each will be another $200 to 300, so in total the investment would be over $1000 for those.

To be frank, if I'm buying DBs it'll be either the iron masters or no Dumbbells. Unless, there's another pair equally or more convenient than those. Power locks are fragile, so I won't invest in those. Plus, power locks are even more expensive.

But, yea. Whenever you get the time check out the OP. I'd appreciate it, bro

They don't have gyms where you live?

No, none that have barbells and allow deadlifting. Plus, I'd rather spend that money on equipment that I have access to and all times. It's also time efficient for me. Not to mention that it's cost effective when you include that I have to pay for martial arts classes. It makes no sense to pay another gym membership for lifting.

I'd love to get a barbell and plates but that's impossible for now since I'm not really settled in a permanent place and constantly renting rooms from the internet which means I can't deadlift.

Originally, I was going to buy the Ironmind Vlucan rack iii with the pull up bar, the Ironmind pillars of power spotters & a barbell and plates. Due to my situation, I've been thinking about buying adjustable Ironmind Dumbbells (165 lbs max each bell) but due to the stabilizer issues, I'm worried that I'll be wasting my time with them.

My other plan is to stick to Progressive Calsithenics like from the bodyweightfitness sub-Reddit/Overcoming Gravity book stuff but that's basically gaining skills instead of strength since I'll be basically using the same weight just in different angles.

I don't care to have the biggest Deadlift/Squat/BP or OHP. I just care about training to get as much functional strength needed while having "gas in the tank" for participating in everyday hobbies and activities. I care about enough strength to help when i have to survive in a random situation or fight. Enough strength to assist me when participating in whatever martial arts, sports and everyday scenario.

I was really stoked to use the Tactical Barbell series and/or Starting Strength program with some Ross Enamait or Joel Jamieson stuff for Conditioning but the lack of barbell access ruined that for me.

I figured that weight is simply weight, which is true, but my dilemma in purchasing the Ironmaster Dbs is if it's even worth it since I've read that it'll be impossible to maintain grip during movements like squats, DB deadlift variations, etc. Also, it's obvious that it'll be almost impossible to get the Dumbbells in proper position without a high risk of injury while trying to do stuff like overhead press and DB Floor/Bench press. Also, wouldn't the progress with the Dumbbells be similar to the amount of time I'd spend progressing with Progressive Calisthenics be the same or about the same since both require adaptation of the stabilizer muscles?

In all, I'm confused as to what to do. I'm currently looking at buying:

- One of these pull up stands: http://trapezerigging.com/products/elite-xl-freestanding-portable-pullup-bar

or

http://www.ironmind-store.com/mobile/Vulcan-Racks-III-Base-Unit-with-Chinning-Bar-Setup/productinfo/1217-C/

- gymnastic rings and Parallettes bars (not sure if they're worth the purchase, yet)

- Ironmind adjustable Dumbbells (165 lbs max each dumbbell)

- Ironmind adjustable kettlebell 80 lb max (for swings and TGUs)

- Compact Glute Ham Raise Developer (for my posterior chain; to take place of not being able to deadlift)

- Ultimate MMA Conditioning with the BioForce HRV ( is it worth the buy for someone who isn't competing in MMA but land to train for self defense and hobby?)

- Robert Baraban Gripper or Captains of Crush for crush grip, sledge or some thing for leverage wrist training, pinch hub or pinch block for pinch grip & rubber bands for extensor training.

- Neck Flex for neck training (will this even really work or is it bullshit?). Here's a link to it: http://www.theneckflex.com/take-action/

What do you think I should do and buy?

You've got room for all that shit, but you don't have room for a squat safety stand and a barbell?

What's the deal with your stabilizers bro? Why not do some uni training with the dumbells to get that shit in check.

You've got room for all that shit, but you don't have room for a squat safety stand and a barbell?

All the stuff I listed is small and easily compact to not take space. Plus, I don't plan to buy all of that. I listed those as my options and basically trying to figure out what I should get from that list.

Also, space isnt the issue for not getting the Ironmind rack, barbell, etc. I stated in the OP that my living situation in general is the issue. Although, now that you mention it, I do believe the barbell would be too big for my room.

Also why do you think it would be almost impossible to get heavy Dumbbells into position?

Also why do you think it would be almost impossible to get heavy Dumbbells into position?

I don't really think it. I'm curious whether it will be. I guess I'm conscious about that idea because of what I've read online. I've gone to Bodybuilding.com and simply other forums on google, as well as here I believe. A lot of people mention how "incredibly" DBs are once you reach higher weights and Barbells, as well as bodyweight being more superior for strength goals.

This link from Reddit explains how DBs are the least useful options when standing next to Bodyweight & Barbells: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/zc0uy/a_beginner_dumbbell_program_the_dumbbell_stopgap/

Why do you think it's so common for people to say that heavy DBs are impossible to maintain grip when doing stuff like deadlifts? And that it's beyond difficult to impassible to do squats, overhead press, etc?

not many men can use 165 lbs dumbbells. doing floor presses with db's of that size or even bench press is almost impossible being alone. you can do deadlifts, lunges and some annoying squat variants. i love dumbbells but from 100 lbs upwards they become just awkward as a substitute for the most classic barbell stuff. still they are superb for all the one armed quicklifts, standing presses, rows etc. but if you want to do proper strength training you should squat, press and deadlift a barbell.

not many men can use 165 lbs dumbbells. doing floor presses with db's of that size or even bench press is almost impossible being alone. you can do deadlifts, lunges and some annoying squat variants. i love dumbbells but from 100 lbs upwards they become just awkward as a substitute for the most classic barbell stuff. still they are superb for all the one armed quicklifts, standing presses, rows etc. but if you want to do proper strength training you should squat, press and deadlift a barbell.

I agree with you. But that's why I made this post. I'm trying to figure out the next best option to fit my goal and needs. Also, from the stuff I listed to buy, which do you think are best to avoid and best to choose from? You can Add on if you have another suggestions.

if you just want to be fit and strong enough to do your hobbies or punch some thug you would be good with some kettlebells and calisthenics. if you want a 400/500/600 bench/squat/dead than not. if i were you i wouldn't buy all this expensive stuff. just some kettlebells and maybe just some of these doorway pull up bars you can just hang in the frame. you can get pretty fit and strong with just kbs and basic bwe like pull ups, pushups, dips.

if you are constantly moving, i think this is what i would do.

Back