Arcade Lounges Boardgame Club

Played the first round of HeroQuest with the family and my kids loved it. My wife enjoyed playing as a hero rather than the GM in our last adventure, my son is almost 12 really enjoyed it like I expected, and my daughter who is 8 enjoyed it as well but she is a spaz and her attention drifted after every turn.

My daughter who has a serious case of FOMO couldn't live with the fact that she couldn't see what was behind the GM board and adventure map. She wanted to know where bad guys would be and wanted desperately to be the person behind the curtain. I told her next round she could help me be the GM and my Wife/Son could play her character.

Had this back in the day and finally picked it up again.
275141995_10225116894367758_5260277731070110521_n.jpg

Think i'll get this when it comes out. They wanted 76k and instead got 1.9mil... crazy. Me and the lady love games like this -

Think i'll get this when it comes out. They wanted 76k and instead got 1.9mil... crazy. Me and the lady love games like this -

I've been on the fence for kickstarting this. I was watching the video on the campaign after you posted and my kids were watching over my shoulder. They seemed really excited about it, so that tipped the scales enough to back. Just have to wait now until March of 2023!!

just got a new board game in the mail
kickstarted it last year
unknown.png
unknown.png

gonna do a solo playthrough this weekend to familiarize myself with the rules
most likely while I watch the fights

I figured since this was the Arcade Lounge that we could allow it's big brother and predecessor a spot on the forum.

A little back story on my boardgame journey. Recently, with the pandemic and all, I've found myself playing more boardgames than ever. I've never really been into them and have only played them casually (Monopoly, Risk, Pictionary etc). Thanks to the YT algo, boardgame channels starting popping up on my feed, and tbh I've enjoyed them. It's given me a deep appreciation for the genre. There are so many different creative games out there that I'm sure many of you would find interesting.

So here's a thread for those of us who play (and future players!) where we can offer reviews, upcoming titles, and discussions on your favorite games.

My collection the last few months:

Friday: Friday is a solo game where you take control of a castaway who must avoid obstacles, challenges, animals and pirates through a series of adventures ment to test your wits. It's a deck building game that's easy to learn but hard to win. I've yet to win a game.
A1u5KBVTfYL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Wavelength: You have a wheel with colors on it, you get a category that is some sort of continuum like "bad actor" to "great actor" and then you provide a hint to your team on a range that you have to get your team to guess. Kind of hard to explain. This was one of the higher rated games, however, the people I played it with didn't enjoy it that much.

The Bloody Inn: A game that encourages you to bribe or kill and then bury your customers! Still, there's a lot of strategy in the box; manage your peasants, pay them, launder money, build an annex or five to bury the mounting bodies - and do it all without being caught by the police that could turn up at any time. I've only played this game once I have just gotten it so I am withholding judgement until I get get some more plays in.

What are games you like, dislike, recommend?

Here is my current collection.
https://user.myboardgamecollection.com/?nicromaniac

Friday is a very good single layer game that you have to play a bunch of times to beat it. It does a very good job at forcing you to understand hand management.

we started Pandemic Legacy with some friends and made it through like May, but as people die you’re literally tearing up cards and throwing them out and that goes against every fiber of my being. We ended up taking a break and never went back. If we played more regularly I think it would have been a better experience but our spans between campaigns was to long and we’d have to spend some time getting back up and running.

I can’t praise Takenoko enough. It’s another one of the crowd pleaser titles the easy to set up, plays quick, and easy to teach to others. Plus the way it plays you get two actions per turn so you really focus on your own strategy for collecting points. The game play is really difficult to try and play a strategy where you try and stifle another player like in Catan. So if someone likes games but not super competitive, Takenoko is great.

I haven't played Pandemic Legacy but to those who don't know about it, it is playing the game a number of times with scenario cards increasing the difficulty and building towards a huge victory. The game will go on for months. Tearing up the cards is sort of theater about the weight of the game. It was a very new concept when the game came out.

I got Takenoko but haven't played it yet.

The games that I have played recently that have been pretty good are:

El Grande - an older game that is pretty simple worker placement that is vey strategic

Azul - a tile placement game that is like Lost Cities crossed with Backgammon. Two player is extremely strategic and tight and online play is extremely competitive.

Niagara - a simple game about flowing down towards Niagara falls to collect gems but trying to not fall over the falls. Simple game but fun.

Full Throttle - a moped racing game where you bet on who will win. Simple but tense

Pan Am - Played this last night. This game is very good and cheap. It is Ticket to Ride with planes but much better than Ticket to Ride. I have a copy I got from Nobel Games for like $12. Best bang per buck spent since Homeland. The game flows well for the complexity it has One of the best games that is a little meaty but not more complex than needed for what the payoff is. Everyone at the table liked it which is kind of funny because it is made by Funko who is not a big company into boardgames.

Just got my deluxe edition in the mail today. Read through the instructions and it has a lot in common with King of Tokyo. Going to do a family game night after dinner. Daughter is 9 so she'll definitely need to team up with mom. High hopes the family will enjoy and keep it in the rotation.

Back