Anyone want to share their system for triangle escapes?

fanboysareevil

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a while but this is really a pretty deficient part of my game. I don't think I've been triangled in over a year but I'm probably getting my black belt this year sometime and I really should be better at this. Easily the most major sub I lack a good system for escaping. Hiding the arm and baiting the omoplata, posturing out super early, and that one super late defense where you hug the knee with both hands does not a coherent system make. Anyone have any gold they would like to share? Tips on beating a good reverse kesa are appreciated as well >.>

How about working on your posture instead?

I don't know if my triangle defences are gold, I attack triangles a lot and try to make my defences things that would annoy me, I'm not convinced this counts as a coherent system.. Your early and super late options seem identical to mine. I abandoned hiding the arm because I'm personally far too happy to counter it when someone uses it to defend, why use a defence that doesn't work on me. I mostly abandoned feeding omaplatas because my shoulders don't like it any more. My defence for when the triangle is locked and/or my posture is compromised is usually to stack by driving the shoulder that is in the triangle towards my opponents face, this usually provides the space to push my outside hand in and connect hands to create a frame (I'm mindful here not to give my arm/leg as an underhook target for stomp & curl style finishes). Once I have the frame I generally have 3 options: Continue stacking and use the frame to push my other shoulder and arm back inside to closed guard (try to go shoulder first to avoid getting arm barred as soon as you push your elbow through); Use the frame to back out of the triangle, ideally turning the corner to pass right away; Use the frame to posture up and pressure the triangle open, I'll use this option if I was able to wedge the elbow of the inside arm against hip while building the frame.

If I have to escape early I just stack them and pass. Typically I don't use the posture up method because I know when I'm in the danger zone and I usually see it coming. So, if I can just pass, why not? Plus my big heavy ass is pretty good for stacking. Sometimes I even bait the triangle for this purpose (same with kimuras, but it's another story). If I have to escape late (especially if they dragged my arm across) then I go legs over body. And since I'm the leglock guy in the gym when I'm out then I try to heel hook them, best defense against any kind of submissions by far.

I think a more typical series at various stages would be: posture up> stack> leg over body (or in armpit) or as an alternative option the one below (I don't know how to call it)

How about working on your posture instead?

He says he's not been triangled in over a year so I guess his posture should be at least decent considering he also says he sucks at escaping.

^
That's actually the escape I was referring to when I mentioned the super late one.

And don't mind Russky, he's legally obligated to be as condescending as humanly possible.

I like the escape where you grab their knee with both hands, inside hand on bottom to prevent the armbar. You cut 90 degrees and sprawl out.

The best one I have is sort of like what is in that video above, but instead of putting my hand on the knee, I swim my hand through any space I can find between my neck and their thigh. I just adjust around to make the space if I can. It also helps to do the movement immediately before the triangle is fully locked in. It's become a habit by now so I do it instinctively.

It's decently successful, and I hate when other people do this against me when I attack with a triangle as well. So those are good signs I think.

Overall though best escape is just don't get there. Which is why I find it a little odd that you feel inadequate on triangle defense if you haven't been triangled in over a year. It sounds like you are already doing the best defense of all.

I know the newer guys probably hound you all the time to teach escapes, but if you can show them whatever you are doing to avoid being triangled at all for an entire year, that's going to be much more valuable in the long run. As a black belt you'll be having to do this constantly -- teach the newer guys to ask better questions rather than just answering whatever they throw at you.

i always teach people to escape triangles in 3 stages:

first, don't get locked into one. keep your hands properly positioned and react before any setups get too deep.

second, if you screw up and get caught in one, posture up all the way. not just straightening your back, but all the way, leaning your head back, your hips forward, i want your eyeballs to be turned against the ceiling.

when you mess that up and your posture is broken, place the inside hand on their hip (same side), drop the elbow to the mat, and push away from their hip, turning your shoulders. this should give you enough space to weave your other hand through. be careful not to push it through too deep though, or you'll get armbarred. if this one doesn't work, you can go ahead and tap.

as for reverse kesa gatame, there are no solutions. when done correct, no can defend!

Easy. When they throw the triangle up immediately get your free hand inside before it's locked, make an aframe and push away as hard as you can until you break the triangle open.

It's about being preemptive and beating them to it before they get you fully locked in

It is going to sound silly but I do not like or use any triangle escape.

None of them work for me due to a bad back.

I just always have 2 arms in or 2 arm out. Use combat base a lot as well

Prevention instead .

Back