Anyone used a Sous Vide to cook?

How what? Hot meat cannot "sear" it will burn, but the chemical reaction that is called searing happens when cold meat with salt on it hits a hot pan.

So meat at 150 degrees will not get a nice outside when put on a hot cast iron pan?

So meat at 150 degrees will not get a nice outside?!
Nice is a subjective term. If you like burnt meat, or tough meat it will be nice to you. If you want a sear, you have to have cold meat freshly salted hit a hot pan.

Right now I am still playing with my relatively new Steam Oven. Man does it cook great fish and veggies. So moist.

steam-oven-hero.jpg

I want to get one of those is that the cuisinart steam oven? How long does it take to cook chicken in that?

Nice is a subjective term. If you like burnt meat, or tough meat it will be nice to you. If you want a sear, you have to have cold meat freshly salted hit a hot pan.

What meat temp is recommended for searing?

How would you finish a piece of meat that has been cooked sous vide?

Edit:HOW

All steak should be seared no matter what. I was actually texting my gf about this because she said almost the exact same thing. with 30 minutes left you put the stove on high and throw the iron cast pan on to heat it up. No big deal.
So why not just cook it in a pan or grill the whole time?

How what? Hot meat cannot "sear" it will burn, but the chemical reaction that is called searing happens when cold meat with salt on it hits a hot pan.
No

No, watch a video on it. They all sear at the end
I graduated from.the culinary art institute of southern California. I don't need to watch a video on how to sear a steak dude.

Is it healthy? Cuz in school(culinary art institute) we always sous vide by adding massive amounts of butter and fat.
Thats called poaching or basting
Glad your education was worth the money...

Personally I don't add any butter or oil, or if I do only a little bit. For example with steak I usually just season with salt and pepper then bag it up and cook.

I usually just sous vide my steak in ketchup pouches but if I'm feeling ambitious I'll use truffle salt, pepper and garlic butter.

I want to get one of those is that the cuisinart steam oven? How long does it take to cook chicken in that?
Yes to cuisinart steam oven.

Have not tried chicken on it. Rarely cook chicken but when I do its usually on my bbq.

But in my estimation it takes no more time and often less time than a regular Toaster Oven which it also is if you don't want to use the steam function . If you have used a regular one you can use that for reference.

I am still a stubborn bbq guy as I love my grill so I use the steam oven for seafood and veggies mainly.

When it comes to the Sous Vide steaks I get it. I know they are great but I still have issues with pan frying (searing them) after with a bunch of butter and stuff. Not denying the taste and quality but I still want to grill the perfect steak on my bbq with just a little salt, black pepper and garlic rubbed into it. And i cook a perfect steak even if I have to heat my bbq up to near melting temps to do so.

No, it was all the rage in 2013.
Shit is gay
Well I travel a ton and mostly in foody cities. I am a foody so I hit up many of the top restaurants when I do. I was just in Montreal (met @Loiosh - good guy) and was in New York and Chicago prior and it seems whenever you do a tasting menu with many courses in these cities there is at least one Sous Vide item on the menu. That is not something I noticed a few years ago as much.

Well I travel a ton and mostly in foody cities. I am a foody so I hit up many of the top restaurants when I do. I was just in Montreal (met @Loiosh - good guy) and was in New York and Chicago prior and it seems whenever you do a tasting menu with many courses in these cities there is at least one Sous Vide item on the menu. That is not something I noticed a few years ago as much.

You got to meet @Loiosh I'm jelly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back