Anyone know about French Savate, and why not be popular as English Boxing

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about French Savate? It seems to have developed at the same time as Marquise of Queensbury rules boxing? Boxing seems to have spread around and become an Olympic Sport. Why Savate never get the same attention?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savate

It seems to have become a sport around the early 19th Century. Marquis of Queensbury rules developed sometime in mid 19th century. So what gives?

Its the outfit

savate2.gif

Probably because the English vs French thing going on. Since they were the big dogs at the time, they'd promote their (national?) sport over a weaker rival's sport.

But I really think its the outfit

and probably:

punching = manly
kicking = for bitches

Was savate a professional sport? There are some good savateurs from the 70s and 80s. Ernesto Hoost even competed in savate.

I just don't think there's that many teachers of savate to go around. Especially if you don't live in France. Other combat sports overtook it, as it didn't seem to do notably well against generic kickboxing or MT in competitions.

I think technically, it's the official sport of Spain, although I doubt it's popularity there in the current year.

Was savate a professional sport? There are some good savateurs from the 70s and 80s. Ernesto Hoost even competed in savate.
Many dutch kickboxers and knockdown karate guys tried savate. Many took titles. The savate talentpool was shallow, and they were bigger fish from deeper pools.

Many dutch kickboxers and knockdown karate guys tried savate. Many took titles. The savate talentpool was shallow, and they were bigger fish from deeper pools.
yeah but occasionally the savate guy would win like richard sylla vs lucien carbin

I just don't think there's that many teachers of savate to go around. Especially if you don't live in France. Other combat sports overtook it, as it didn't seem to do notably well against generic kickboxing or MT in competitions.

I think technically, it's the official sport of Spain, although I doubt it's popularity there in the current year.

I believe Savate was codified sometime in the early 1800

It doesn't seem all that different from generic Kickboxing. Could you distinguish that Ernesto Hoost was a Savate stylist?? I sure couldn't.

It doesn't seem all that different from generic Kickboxing. Could you distinguish that Ernesto Hoost was a Savate stylist?? I sure couldn't.
Thats because he was not. He trained dutchkickboxing to top level. First under Ton Vriend and later under Johan Vos (both karate guys turned kickboxers in the 70ies), and then dabbled in savate to enter tournaments.
He was never a savateur.

Probably because the English vs French thing going on. Since they were the big dogs at the time, they'd promote their (national?) sport over a weaker rival's sport.

But I really think its the outfit

and probably:

punching = manly
kicking = for bitches

Never underestimate the British ability to teabag the French.

cropped-british-flag-1600x25601.jpg

Even in France, "English" boxing and Muay-thai are more popular than savate. Savate is an amateur sport and you can't live with it: that"s why most savaters go to Kickboxing, Muay-Thai or Boxing to earn money. However, modern savate more and more looks like kickboxing with emphasis on footwork, angles, and a specific way to kick with shoes.

Even in France, "English" boxing and Muay-thai are more popular than savate. Savate is an amateur sport and you can't live with it: that"s why most savaters go to Kickboxing, Muay-Thai or Boxing to earn money. However, modern savate more and more looks like kickboxing with emphasis on footwork, angles, and a specific way to kick with shoes.
Savate allways had good footwork and angles.

you tube ...

Fight Quest Savate & Human Weapon Savate

So.. Is there any difference technique-wise between Savate and modern Kickboxing?

I heard that the older generation of savateurs had more emphasis on useful kicks instead of flashy tkd/point sparring type of kicks (not saying thre came from tkd but the kicks that resemble them). Anyone have any good videos on savate fights with good boxing (or anyone good fights in general) or interesting articles about technique?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back