Anyone here training with achilles tendonitis?

i have pain in my left achilles but i found that foam-rolling and stretching my calf muscle has helped tremendously. i have also started using ankle support while training.

if you want it to heal you must stop training and do therapy on it. if you continue training then the risk of total rupture highly increases and then you will be really fucked.
Rest, therapy and heal.

I stopped running or doing any exercises that impact on my left foot. No jumping. Not sparring. Showed up on gym for Muay Thai 2 times a week but did zero left foot pivots, this means I'm kicking with just my left kick (physioteraphist said I could do it) and using less force on pads. I drop my shoes and I'm going to work with appropriate tennis.

Resting all the weekend. All real impact I have is by walking, which I just can't avoid... and in therapy time.

Two months now, it's better than last month, but it's not healed yet.

Stretching a lot everyday. I never been so flexible in my life like now...

Was using Ice at home only, will start to use it at work too.

Last edited:
i have pain in my left achilles but i found that foam-rolling and stretching my calf muscle has helped tremendously. i have also started using ankle support while training.

It was recommended for you or you just decided to try?

It was recommended for you or you just decided to try?

i just decided to try it and it has been working. i confirmed it with my physiotherapist and she said it was a good approach...it has improved but it has not gone away completely.

I stopped running or doing any exercises that impact on my left foot. No jumping. Not sparring. Showed up on gym for Muay Thai 2 times a week but did zero left foot pivots, this means I'm kicking with just my left kick (physioteraphist said I could do it) and using less force on pads. I drop my shoes and I'm going to work with appropriate tennis.

Resting all the weekend. All real impact I have is by walking, which I just can't avoid... and in therapy time.

Two months now, it's better than last month, but it's not healed yet.

Stretching a lot everyday. I never been so flexible in my life like now...

Was using Ice at home only, will start to use it at work too.
When i mean resting i mean resting, now stop. A little walking helps to avoid atrofy but you need to heal.
Therapy if possible i would suggest.
I know you hate to stop but its one of those cases, sometimes you need to take one step back to take 2 forward.
Rest and recover. Have patience and good luck

When i mean resting i mean resting, now stop. A little walking helps to avoid atrofy but you need to heal.
Therapy if possible i would suggest.
I know you hate to stop but its one of those cases, sometimes you need to take one step back to take 2 forward.
Rest and recover. Have patience and good luck

I hear you.

But, in fact, I went to a doctor and went to a therapist. In the first month my doctor said I didn't need to stop MT, just "take easy" (his exactly words). Then I started therapy and my therapist was aware I "was taking easy".

After a shot of Diprospan and a couple of weeks I wasn't in pain anymore and runned one minute at gym, then we went from stretching exercices to strenght exercises in therapy. Then I went to MT in that day already feeling some small pain. I didn't took easy that day. Thought I was already ok. Was doing well in therapy. Therapist said I probably won't need 10 sessions... and I was in pain that night.

Had to go back to my doctor and then he said I should stop running and doing anything that could hurt my left achilles. Took a second shot of Diprospan in third week.

I can't avoid walking. I have two kids, need to pick them at home, lunch, go back to school, take them to Judo, back to home, etc.

I stopped running, stopped pivoting with left (injured achilles) foot. No sparring. Zero exercises in warm up that could harm achilles. No jumping, just shadowboxing (no foot, no knees). I'm just doing pads in MT and, frankly, it's less harmful then walking. My therapist is aware of that and now, by the end of second month, she said I need to try some pivoting by the end of my class, after good stretching and properly warm up.

I did it last night and my achilles is better than it was on monday, after a weekend doing nothing but play PS4 at couch...

If my doctor and therapist say I should 100% stop MT I will, but I don't think punching bag and kicking with my left leg (my therapist is also aware and authorized, what she said I should avoid is pivoting with left foot) should do worst than my everyday walking.

I'm healing but it seems it will take some time yet.

I hear you.

But, in fact, I went to a doctor and went to a therapist. In the first month my doctor said I didn't need to stop MT, just "take easy" (his exactly words). Then I started therapy and my therapist was aware I "was taking easy".

After a shot of Diprospan and a couple of weeks I wasn't in pain anymore and runned one minute at gym, then we went from stretching exercices to strenght exercises in therapy. Then I went to MT in that day already feeling some small pain. I didn't took easy that day. Thought I was already ok. Was doing well in therapy. Therapist said I probably won't need 10 sessions... and I was in pain that night.

Had to go back to my doctor and then he said I should stop running and doing anything that could hurt my left achilles. Took a second shot of Diprospan in third week.

I can't avoid walking. I have two kids, need to pick them at home, lunch, go back to school, take them to Judo, back to home, etc.

I stopped running, stopped pivoting with left (injured achilles) foot. No sparring. Zero exercises in warm up that could harm achilles. No jumping, just shadowboxing (no foot, no knees). I'm just doing pads in MT and, frankly, it's less harmful then walking. My therapist is aware of that and now, by the end of second month, she said I need to try some pivoting by the end of my class, after good stretching and properly warm up.

I did it last night and my achilles is better than it was on monday, after a weekend doing nothing but play PS4 at couch...

If my doctor and therapist say I should 100% stop MT I will, but I don't think punching bag and kicking with my left leg (my therapist is also aware and authorized, what she said I should avoid is pivoting with left foot) should do worst than my everyday walking.

I'm healing but it seems it will take some time yet.
You are doing well by following your doctors advices. Continue doing therapy if you can and take it easy in training in the next few weeks and you´ll be fine. ;)
Good luck

Back