• No, never tried it

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

PurpleStorm

purp
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here has tried Tai Chi? I'm looking for something fun to do outdoors when the weather is warm enough to be outside. None of that playing touch butt in the park. Just something for body and mind.

Reactions: Gio
lol yeah that a good beverage.
Just do slow bicep curls...
200w.gif

I did Tai Chi for about six months, a long time ago. Physically, I didn't really feel much benefit, but it's a very relaxing thing to do in fresh air, on a nice day.

I've never done it before. But I do wonder what the point of it is if we can all just do isometric squat holds while doing circular hand motions while holding a light dumbbell.

And if you are doing it only for the spiritual aspect of it, why not just chew mushrooms or pray to Jesus?

This sounds like something @Ogata would know

Never done Tai Chi but have done Yijin Jing.

Some of the popular stuff is riddled with fuckery and promise of mythical combat skills.

I have NEVER minced words here, I learned from Ancient Kung Fu masters that Kung Fu is useless if pugilism or as the ancients call it, a delivery system!

A delivery system is a form of combat sports and lots of Chinese, Japanese and Koreans have deep respect for western boxing. The British exchanged culture with the Chinese in Honk Kong, this was long before cinema and Kung Fu movies. British love their boxing and using that as a reference point, they respected old school Kung Fu for sharing similarities in stance, weight transfer from back leg to front leg.

Modern Kung Fu is a mess. It comes from Kung Fu cinema and Kung Fu cinema actually is based on ancient Korean art of Taekkyon and lot of the actors did practice Tang Soo Do/Taekwondo which happen to be Korean martial arts The whole jump in the air and throw kicks is something Koreans are in to. Most Chinese martial artist like to be rooted to the ground and use hand strikes with few kicks to disrupt the rhythm or create distance.

I tried it a few years back. I am old. It was OK but I did not do it as replacement for Shidokan Karate training. It was interesting to learn. It was something I could do with my wife plus get some stretching, balance and some strength benefits. It was relaxing. She had to stop as it hurt her knees. Right now, no time to fit it in with other activities. I think it does have physical and emotional benefits if you do it regularly with a skilled teacher. My cousin says it greatly improved his hand eye coordination (who knows). I will say I believe I can get similar benefits by doing my karate katas slowly with the heavy breathing. One good thing is there seems to be a lot of places you can take Tai Chi for free. Kaiser offers it. Maybe when I turn 80, I will take it up again.

You thought it was "gay AF". And that's coming from someone who spends much of his time sweating and rolling in between another man's legs while dressed in spandex.
<YeahOKJen>

{<jordan}

I dominate bigger stronger men between my legs while laying on my back, that is true. But I'm always trying to buck them off so I get my turn to be on top. And unless they strenuously object, I will not hesitate to mount them and make them say, "Urgg..." If they get too feisty, I will take their backside and finish them off from behind.

Also, I am skilled in the arts of war and military tactics sire.

Last edited:
I did kung fu for years before going more or less all info the Thai/kickboxing side of things.

But yes. Kung fu are made of three parts: wushu, taiji, and qi gong.

Back when I was in college, I did it fairly regularly, following some David Carradine DVDs, as an active recovery. I have not done it regularly for some time, but I have a lot more going on, being married with 2 kids. Sometimes I will do my katas slow, Tai Chi style, just for some active recovery or if I don't have the gas for a real workout, or a slow warm-up.

It's not a substitute for full training. It's not equivalent to running or bagwork or sparring/rolling for cardio, but it's a decent supplement, cool down, or light warm-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back