Anyone has experience with training very old people?

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
No troll treath.

My grandmother is 80 and she feels huge pain at the knees. It started with her getting more weight and moving less. She has been a work horse her entire life and slowed down only 5 years ago. Now she almost does not move.

The doctors say she is just getting old and that is the reason for the pain. I am sure if I get her to move more and work out she will get her muscles working and growing and lose some weight and will feel better.

Main problem she has 4 operations in the stomach area.
So how do I inspire my grandma to work out and move with me?

How do I know she is reacting positively to that or it is burning her? Give me some advice.

There are likely very few who can really help with this situation without being there. But @Sano has some experience, and I have worked with my Dad who is 70 to become a competing powerlifter, but everyone is different and all that shit.

My dad's problem was his knee. It was always inflamed when he moved, walked, bowled, etc.. a small meniscus tear. Surgeon said no surgery needed and he needed to strengthen the joint. We started with band work to add some small amount of resistance while he was sitting to extend the knee. He would stand and do hammy curls with the band, etc... We removed bowling from his activities and noticed the swelling didn't return for a few days after walking we started actually going to the gym and deadlifting. Very small increments over time. He's now pulled 275 at last year's competition and is going for 315 this year. His issue was a relatively easy fix as we had approval from the surgeon, and he had the motivation to do it.

Don't trust your mother's health to random strangers on the internet who have never met you or her. I can't believe I'd even have to say this, but here we are.

That's a tough task. Once you're that old and immobile, and that sets in, it's tough to bring them back in any significant way. But something is better than nothing.

Getting old people to do water aerobics is probably good. Easy on the joints and gets them moving.

Physical therapy, Muscle Activation Techniques. But that all costs money cause you need experts.

Find something that she enjoys to do. It doesn't even have to be exercise, but getting her to move more can be a start.

Don't trust your mother's health to random strangers on the internet who have never met you or her. I can't believe I'd even have to say this, but here we are.
This was my initial thought. If you scroll through the main I don't think there are many "allowable" threads tbw. Dark times at the f13

This was my initial thought. If you scroll through the main I don't think there are many "allowable" threads tbw. Dark times at the f13

I thought F13 might be cleaned up when I saw POU3 come through... I am left wondering.

It's like my yard now that the snow is melting. Lots of little poops scattered about.

I thought F13 might be cleaned up when I saw POU3 come through... I am left wondering.

It's like my yard now that the snow is melting. Lots of little poops scattered about.

Shitty!

I've been an PTA at numerous skilled nursing facilities for the past 5 years so getting old folks moving is my livelihood. Get your grandma checkout by her doctor before you start running her through a bunch of exercises. Also, consider consulting a home health agency or outpatient rehab centers that are better equipped to monitor her vital signs and that understand her medical history(which sounds pretty complex due to the abdominal surgeries). Asking for ways to get your frail grandmother in shape from strangers on the internet(as educated as they may be) is a pretty big liability.

Have you ever considered that your grandma is old and just doesn't wanna do shit? Plenty of my patients who have their cognition completely intact understand that they're at our facility for rehab are lazy or feel like exercise is beyond their reach at their current age. They simply never had an interest in it or they've worked so goddamn hard throughout their life they just want to relax and be comfortable in their later years.

Back