Anyone Grow up in the ‘Burbs?

nah i grow up in the gutter of englewood chiraq still surprised im alive.

The kids from my hood:

Duke: My older cousin. He was the coolest kid on the block and I’m not the only one who thought so. He was the kid who got in all the fights at school and won. When the corner pizza shop got Street Fighter II he was the best. Grew up to be a meth addict in and out of jail. Hardly talk to him now.

Dustin: Duke’s neighbor. 2nd coolest kid in the hood. His family was all white trash, but somehow owned a home in an otherwise middle class neighborhood. We all had big backyards and he rode dirt bikes in his. He also stole naked pics of his uncles GF that he showed all the neighborhood kids. He moved at age 12.

Victor and Nicole: Siblings. They were half Mexican, but Dad was gone. They lived with white trash Mom and her revolving door of bfs. In hindsight, I’m pretty sure pretty Nicole (who all the boys had crushes on) was extremely anxious and sad all childhood for a reason. She was being molested. She had 3 kids by 20. Victor was one of two boys in the neighborhood younger than me. He idolized me for some reason. He loved me to teach him skateboarding. I saw him 3 years ago. He’s 300+ lbs now and covered in tats. He works in a tattoo shop.

Chad: My other, younger cousin. The least coolest kid in the neighborhood hood. Peed his pants until 10. Cool now though. But has 3 kids in a happyless marriage.

Mark: Only wanted to play soldier. His family was crazy religious. His Dad would walk up and down the street literally carrying a full size cross and preaching. Mark grew up to be racist. In his teens he’d plant Nazi punk music from his bedroom. He died in Afghanistan from a roadside bomb.

Andrew: Fat kid that got bullied by all the neighborhood boys. He eventually never came out. His Mom was single and had no car. She walked a mile to the grocery store and would come back carrying 5 grocery bags. She looked tired, Russian and unhappy.

Victoria: Had c-cups by 5th grade. Made all the boys in the neighborhood confused. We knew we liked her, but didn’t totally know why.

I'll share a few friend stories with you since you got the ball rolling lol:

Jahad: Lost my first fight against this guy. He used to get beat up by the older kids in the neighborhood including my older brothers and sisters. Went to high school with him and we were pretty cool. Maybe because I was bigger than him. Went to college and got a job working downtown.

Lamont: One of my best friends growing up. Used to get into fights with Jahad. He was the only one our age that won a fight against him. Beat this one kid up who pushed me off the slide. Both of my older brothers fought both of his older brothers. I won my first fight against him. He's married with kids now. I see him from time to time.

Brian (Nicky): My 'spoiled' friend. Had all the cool Star Wars and G.I Joe toys. His dad was a huge boxing and wrestling fan and we would all go over his house to watch Hulk Hogan and Mike Tyson. His dad would always brag about 'knocking white boys out' when he boxed in the military. We stayed pretty tight even after he moved away. Used to bring over his Sega Genesis and we would play Sonic, Streets of Rage 2, and NBA Live. Stayed pretty tight through high school. Would come over and watch boxing just like we did back in the day. He graduated went to college and we haven't spoken since. I still talk to his sister on Facebook though.

Robbie: Used to stay the night over his house more than anyone. One time I remember I got in trouble for being over his house until almost midnight. I was about 6 years old at the time. Him and my sister were kind of sweet on each other. We actually had a fake wedding ceremony for the two of them. LOL Touched based with him a few years ago on Facebook. He's doing well.

Patrick: Was one of the tougher dudes I knew growing up. Glad he was hella cool with me. Used to hoop and run track together. Didn't hang with him as much during school but we stayed cool. Hung out with Crips and wore blue all the time. Got shot in the head and killed two months after our 8th grade graduation.

Alex: Went to elementary and middle school with this guy. Hands down, one of the most popular and coolest friends I had growing up. He was friends with damn near everybody and athletic as hell. Threw me the game winning touchdown like four times during recess. Went to Outdoor School together and I remember him punking the hell out of these two guys who shared a cabin with me. They had been trash talking me the entire time and tried to do it it front of Alex. Big mistake. We both graduated from the same college.

Charles (Chucky): This guy use to try and bully me when I was the new kid. Me and him got along pretty well for the most part. He was from the south so he had a funny southern accent but grew out of it after a while. Grew up to be like 6 foot 8. Recently had a baby boy with his wife a girl with both went to school with. He works at this Lexus dealership that is right down the street from where I live.

I went to Edinburgh when I was 13, But was too young to appreciate it. I spent most the time looking for cool skate spots. Met some Scottish kids my age and we skated for hours. Had a lot of fun though.
Haste ye back. Edinburgh has loads of good skate spots though!

Grew up almost exactly like The Wonder Years, but with both parents working to afford it. About the same era, too. 70's suburbs were a great time and place to be a kid!

I once got in a fight with a kid and he kept coming at me so, having done Judo since I was 7 and at this point I was maybe 13, I just hip tossed him everytime he got in range and then semi choked him and told him to give up.

I didnt punch him as I thought I'd get in trouble.

Anyway, after what I was told was 10 Harai Goshi's in a row the guy stopped getting up and I left. His mum turned up on my parents doorstep, he had 4 broken ribs.

I'd told my parents already (the other kid genuinely started it) and they told his mum that their son was a well known piece of crap and about time he got a kicking!

It was that day I realised that fighting wasn't about being "hard" it was just about learning a skill.

I grew up in Perth Western Australia its the biggest spread out burbs in the world

I once got in a fight with a kid and he kept coming at me so, having done Judo since I was 7 and at this point I was maybe 13, I just hip tossed him everytime he got in range and then semi choked him and told him to give up.

I didnt punch him as I thought I'd get in trouble.

Anyway, after what I was told was 10 Harai Goshi's in a row the guy stopped getting up and I left. His mum turned up on my parents doorstep, he had 4 broken ribs.

I'd told my parents already (the other kid genuinely started it) and they told his mum that their son was a well known piece of crap and about time he got a kicking!

It was that day I realised that fighting wasn't about being "hard" it was just about learning a skill.

That literally happened to me, only I was the little shit starting bitch getting repeatedly hip tossed.

I grew up right on the NJ side of the GWB. I was like three blocks from the Bridge. I absolutely loved it. Lots of cool people, even the means ones, and the geeks. Then I moved like 2 or 3 miles north into rich kids territory.

Fort Lee? Yikes.

It was a great town once.

My friend from grad school lived like literally at the foot of the GW bridge. I couldn't understand why. She only paid like $150/mo less than me but had more space (I guess).

I grew up in suburbs and on a farm. I only moved to the city in my 20s. Most people in Australia live in suburbs compared to city/rural living.

Suburbs are pretty chill as you have some space but are still close enough to everything.

Suburbs were good for sports while uptown was good for going out/doing stuff. The only thing that sucked was living in a small town fro a couple of years and in a white trash gov't housing area.

People rag on the 'burbs (including me) but compared to shitty small towns it's MUCH better.

I was the youngest of 3 brothers. When I was around 5 my two older brothers wanted to beat up this kid Dan who lived down the street. My brothers didn't want to get in trouble so they came up with this idea.

They told me to walk up to Dan in front of his friends and call him a F*g. I didn't even know what it meant at that point . So I did as I was told and Dan starts smacking me around . My brothers run over and beat him up.

Dan tells his Mom who tells my dad that I started it by calling him names.

I took a beating from a 9yr old and was the only one to get in trouble

Back