Anyone gone solar yet?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I really really really hate my electric company, but I've met with sales reps from several solar companies and they're all sleazeballs. And when I research solar companies it seems like the wild west. Like companies are popping up overnight, offering 30 year warranties, and then they're out of business a year later.

Not only that, but it seems like most companies are charging whatever you're willing to pay, so if your electric bill is $250, then they'll work out a plan where solar will cost you $230. The savings isn't that much anymore, I guess because they're counting on people being motivated to go solar just for the good of the environment, so they feel like they don't need to save you that much money.

If they're only going save me 10% or less then it's not worth it for me to mess up my roof. I've got the kind of roof that will last forever if you don't mess with it. But if you start tearing into it to install solar panels I'm sure it's going to eventually develop leaks.

Not only that, but it seems like solar panels are always on the verge of a big breakthrough. So you could buy solar panels today, and then 6 months later they come out with new panels that are way more efficient, but you're stuck with these old ones for 25 years or whatever you signed up for.

Have any of you gone solar yet? If so, have you had a good experience so far? Which company did you use and do you recommend them?

I'm more of a lunar guy tbh.

My dad did it and he loves it. He used micro inverters so if one inverter goes out, the whole system doesn't bust. Or something like that. He can track the solar panel efficiency online. Pretty cool He pays little to no money monthly. Sometimes he gets a credit, I think.

My dad did it and he loves it. He used micro inverters so if one inverter goes out, the whole system doesn't bust. Or something like that. He can track the solar panel efficiency online. Pretty cool He pays little to no money monthly. Sometimes he gets a credit, I think.
That sounds pretty cool. Do you know what company did this for him?

That sounds pretty cool. Do you know what company did this for him?
Not sure, but I'll ask him. He got it about five years ago so I'm sure the tech has chaged since then.

giphy.gif

I've considered it, but never seriously since my energy bills were never that high (this past winter has been higher then usual for some reason though). We were actually house hunting for past few months (near Bay Area, California, highs in the summer can reach over 100 F). On one of the first homes we put an offer on it had leased solar attached. Since I only want solar on my terms after my own research and experience with a specific home, we decided to pull the offer unless they pay it off in full (which I knew the owners wouldn't). It was the deal breaker for me.

Luckily we found another home that we like that we close in the next few weeks. I'm going to see how my energy bills look first and then compare. This is a newer home (built late 2013) with dual pane windows and plantation shutters throughout, 2700 sq ft, no excessive high ceilings like my current home, so hopefully it's pretty energy efficient. If my energy bills do end up being ridiculous I may consider solar and actually buy vs lease. I have to do some digging to see how much value owned solar adds to a property in the area and what type of warranty I would get owning vs leasing. I know the current rebates are pretty good too.

Nah, not going down that road with this place, but I definitely plan to be off-grid in the next ~15 years

Looking into it, but not sure if it would be worth it for us.

I looked into it and found much the same things that you did. I looked at a company called DH Solar which has a system that tracks the sun to keep direct sunlight on the panels to be about 40% more efficient.
dh_solar003003.jpg

The good thing is it isn't on your roof if you have room in a sunny area.

The cost at that time was about $20K to $30K installed after the Federal tax credit which I might not qualify for much of because I'm not paying enough in taxes in retirement. There might be other incentives.

It would take about 17 years to pay off if it provided the same output and didn't require any further investment.

no chance. the corrupt crooks in the government of Spain do everything in their power to discourage its use, so that the electric companies tha bribe them can keep making big money.

I lived in Germany for a while, the amount of solar panels I saw over there compared to Spain was ridiculous, especially taking into account which one of both countries is much sunnier.

Working on it. Finally acquired an appropriate property.

I've looked into it. Guess it's not really a thing in my area

I lived in Germany for a while, the amount of solar panels I saw over there compared to Spain was ridiculous, especially taking into account which one of both countries is much sunnier.

I was just gonna say, I went to Germany and they were all over the place over there.

I looked into it and found much the same things that you did. I looked at a company called DH Solar which has a system that tracks the sun to keep direct sunlight on the panels to be about 40% more efficient.
dh_solar003003.jpg

The good thing is it isn't on your roof if you have room in a sunny area.

The cost at that time was about $20K to $30K installed after the Federal tax credit which I might not qualify for much of because I'm not paying enough in taxes in retirement. There might be other incentives.

It would take about 17 years to pay off if it provided the same output and didn't require any further investment.
My co worker just had solar panels installed on his house. He bought his outright and said it would take about 10 years before it paid for itself. And screw the leasing deal with 20-30 year contracts.

i do, i bought the system cash (20k) instead of payment plan. bought a new house/brand new construction and all the house had solar so i had to chose to just purchase it or payment plan. power bills are less than 15 dollars. is nice.

Big solar ignites birds mid-flight. Not sure if they came up with a solution but its pretty nuts. The solar farms heat the air to 900 degrees and incinerate anything flying over.

nah, I'm on nuclear.

Back