Anyone Going Someplace to View Eclipse in August?

HomeCheese

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited to view the eclipse in August, booked a place in Sunriver Oregon last night. I waited too long to do it so the selection was not great but I am only about one hour and 15 minutes from the center of the event. I'm guessing traffic will be crazy so I'll leave four hours before. Going for a long weekend and will make the most of the trip up there. Maybe play a little golf and do some paddle boarding.

Anyone else going to the eclipse or have plans to? You may only have this opportunity one or two times in your life.

Didn't know there was one. Cool.

Just read that the last time the US saw a total eclipse was 1991, and that was only in Hawaii. This one in August will be the first one viewable from the continental US since 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_August_21,_2017

I don't think there will be another viewable one in the Continental US in my lifetime. It should be awesome. I'm headed to Eastern Oregon where it is almost always sunny in August.

I don't think there will be another viewable one in the Continental US in my lifetime. It should be awesome. I'm headed to Eastern Oregon where it is almost always sunny in August.

There is another good one in 2024

Thread reminds me of that creepy 80s video:

F6bC5LP.gif

I was planning on it, but not sure how far I wanted to go or where I could count on consistently sunny skies. I'd be driving up from Southern California with an 8" telescope, mount, camera... East Oregon seems reasonable.

Turn around, Bright Eyes.

:(

I was planning on it, but not sure how far I wanted to go or where I could count on consistently sunny skies. I'd be driving up from Southern California with an 8" telescope, mount, camera... East Oregon seems reasonable.

Nice set up! Oregon is just a "quick" dash up HWY 5 and there is a very good chance of sunny weather. I waited too long to book a place as 95% of rentals in Sunriver were already taken so selection was not great. Hope you make it up.

I used to be a bit of an eclipse chaser.
The change around you when totality approaches is really weird and neat.

I used to be a bit of an eclipse chaser.
The change around you when totality approaches is really weird and neat.

The vibe of the people watching is cool too. I live in NorCal so Eastern Oregon is only about 7 hours from me plus there is a lot to do there. It should be a fun weekend.

The vibe of the people watching is cool too. I live in NorCal so Eastern Oregon is only about 7 hours from me plus there is a lot to do there. It should be a fun weekend.
I recall being in a field, and the thing that struck me, apart from night during the day, was birds going silent. The people, who had themselves gone silent, we all got spooked, LOL

Back