Anyone fix their own car's a/c?

Installing a new compressor is easy but if your old one blew up you need to flush the whole system and condenser to clear the debris.
I think he's just talking about charging it.

I’d be more worried about a novice changing brake pads or changing a flat tire than basic A/C repair.

Ok.

The topic isn't about changing brake pads or a flat. It's about air conditioning, and I was responding to this post
Well, it's not a cheap repair, so break out the Youtube and dive in. What's the worst that can happen?

So, yeah.

The only way to die from working on automotive AC would be if the compressor were located on the bottom of the engine, and the car fell off some cheap jackstands and crushed you while you were attempting to change it.

That, or if you removed the high pressure line from a fully charged system, filled a large trash bag with the refrigerant, then stuck your head in that trash bag and duct taped it tightly around your neck.

Never ever do that.

If you actually die from charging your ac you were never meant for this earth anyway

I'm debating on whether I should try tackling this myself or take it to a mechanic.

I'm not super mechanically inclined but I do fix the little things myself when I can.

I've watched about a dozen YouTube videos on how to do it and some guys say it's easy while others say it's more advanced and warn that you can fuck up your entire system if you do something wrong.

And to make matters worse, they don't all do the same steps. For example, some videos say never open the high pressure side at all, while others say to open both high and low.

So I'm torn. What say you, groundhog experts?
Fuck, I don't even change my own oil... I say take it to a mechanic to be safe.

Done it many times, it's super easy.

Some say it's bad for your car's AC system to top it off with those store-bought bottles, but I've been doing it every few summers on the same truck for the last 15 years and it still works fine.

Done it many times, it's super easy.

Some say it's bad for your car's AC system to top it off with those store-bought bottles, but I've been doing it every few summers on the same truck for the last 15 years and it still works fine.
One of my cars is 18 years old, original AC works, knock on wood, Toyota

Whether or not you should depends on whether you're willing to potentially invest in tools that may exceed the cost of a one-time repair at a local shop. If you have a leak for example and there's still refrigerant in the system, you need to recover that, then repair the leak. I suggest looking up actual procedures regarding refrigerant handling and repair practices instead of relying on youtube. Either that or specifically look at youtube videos that are "training" videos rather than someone just documenting a repair. They should be on there as they exist for most automotive systems, you may need to use a search engine to locate them though(most will have very few views as they'll be long videos with a lot of information to comb through).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GringoRonin
Back