Anyone encountered wrist pain at the beginning of their lifting process ?

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I started lifting three weeks ago, and had to stop one week later due to intense wrist pain. It's mainly in my wrist, elbow and right hand, and I'm waiting for it to heal so I may resume lifting in a more conservative way (wrist accessories, taking it easy on the weights at first, lots of exercises to strengthen the grip and the wrists at first). My hand still hurts now, and I'm seeing a neurologist tomorrow to figure out what's up with it. Considering physiotherapy and chiropractic therapy, depending on the results.

In the meantime I'm only doing legs and abs. My plan of bulking is on hold now.

Any sherbros encountered the same kind of problem, and how was your recovery process ?

I have an old hockey injury in my right writs that hurts like a son-of-a-bitch at times. But really I just work through it. Hasn't ever stopped me from training. Its really arthritic, lacks full range of motion, is inflamed most days and fucking kills. I take some anti inflammatory pills on days it bothers me and I know I will train but generally I try not to be a pussy about it.

I have an old hockey injury in my right writs that hurts like a son-of-a-bitch at times. But really I just work through it. Hasn't ever stopped me from training. Its really arthritic, lacks full range of motion, is inflamed most days and fucking kills. I take some anti inflammatory pills on days it bothers me and I know I will train but generally I try not to be a pussy about it.

:meow:

That's the motivation I need brother.

<{JustBleed}>

Is the problem just on pressing moments or pulls as well? I use a wrist wrap for presses and squats, but find I don't need it for rows, pull-ups or deadlifts. A good powerlifting-type wrist wrap will take a lot of the pressure during presses.

It has been hurting non stop for two weeks. Even if i carry something as light as a spoon or a knife it hurts.

Regarding the push/pulls thing i entirely stopped lifting since it started hurting because it will only make it worse but from what i have read pulling puts more strain on the wrist.

Yes to doctors. No to chiros. If you're going to see a chiro about it, might as well double down, and invest in some magnets and crystals, too

I started lifting three weeks ago, and had to stop one week later due to intense wrist pain. It's mainly in my wrist, elbow and right hand, and I'm waiting for it to heal so I may resume lifting in a more conservative way (wrist accessories, taking it easy on the weights at first, lots of exercises to strengthen the grip and the wrists at first). My hand still hurts now, and I'm seeing a neurologist tomorrow to figure out what's up with it. Considering physiotherapy and chiropractic therapy, depending on the results.

In the meantime I'm only doing legs and abs. My plan of bulking is on hold now.

Any sherbros encountered the same kind of problem, and how was your recovery process ?
Do you squat?

If so, how do you grip the bar?

I've had wrist issues ever since I started lifting, they used to be worse in the first few years.

Try using wrist wraps. Don't push through the pain. If it gets progressively worse take time off of movements that hurt it. Keep the weight lighter if you have to. Etc. In short: work around the pain.

And learn how to properly grab a bar, especially when it comes to pressing it. Many people who have wrist issues grab the bar the wrong way and as soon as they are taught how to properly place their hands on it the wrist pain goes away.

I've had wrist issues ever since I started lifting, they used to be worse in the first few years.

Try using wrist wraps. Don't push through the pain. If it gets progressively worse take time off of movements that hurt it. Keep the weight lighter if you have to. Etc. In short: work around the pain.

And learn how to properly grab a bar, especially when it comes to pressing it. Many people who have wrist issues grab the bar the wrong way and as soon as they are taught how to properly place their hands on it the wrist pain goes away.

Yeah, that's a good call. When I heal, I'll start with lighter weights, will be using a wrist wrap, and will incorporate wrist/grip strengthening exercices into my routine.

Went to a neurologist and said it's not a big deal. By reading the interwebz i thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome but according to the dr. I should be able to resume lifting in about 10 days. Been taking anti-inflammatory drugs for a couple of days and i'm already feeling (even if slightly) better.

What kind of motion would you describe the pain as? Twisting motions or front to back or side to side/waving motions? Does making a fist help or make it hurt more?

Was there any particular lift where you seemed to notice it? Also, dumbells and kettlebells are a little harder when you are first starting so keep it light

A lot of people are gonna look at me like a jack ass.....but sand training helped me out a ton! Get ya a big ass bowl/50 gallon drum (or just go to a park with sand) and start working your hands, fingers, and wrist in every way possible. I do this for atleast 5-10 minutes every day. Super easy to add to the end of a workout, just don't do it before or your grip will be shit. Here's a little video to give you an idea of what to do.

Back